Odd problem, something to do with water I think.

Dave 321

Reaction score
Visit site
My 04 FZ6 seems to have a bit of a problem with water. Whenever I wash my bike or it is left out in the rain for some time it gets a bit funny. It struggles to idle, throttle feels as if it is not responding properly and sometimes cuts out when I pull the clutch in coasting up to traffic lights.

This morning, as I got to work, I stopped at the gate, and as I expected, the bike cut out (this is after 45 miles, 30 on the motorway), I tried to start it up again but it wouldn't fire, so I tried again and the clock came up with something I've never seen before; where it normally says 'Trip 1' is just displayed '53' everything else was blank except for the temperature gauge which was all the way up to the top and flashing (by now I was wondering how the hell I would get home).

I turned it off by the key and turned it back on again and somehow, it was miraculously as if the whole incident had never happened, the throttle was fine etc, except for I had lost about twice as much petrol as I would have normally used to get to work.

This isn't the first time it's cut out after getting wet, but it is the first time I've had the clocks display this message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to get this sorted and out of my mind.

:thumbup: Dave

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The manual states:
If any of the immobilizer system circuits
are defective, the immobilizer system
indicator light will flash, and then the
multi-function display will indicate a
two-digit error code (e.g., 51, 52, 53).

Not sur eif it is related, butI had a similiar issue that seemed to occur at random and it ended up being a faulty kill switch that acted up during wet or humid weather.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the imobilizer doesn't fix it, I'd put some sort of lube in the ignition switch key hole. WD40 will remove any water and wash out any crap but you'll need a lubricant in there afterwards.

Sounds like your getting water in the ignition switch as working it corrected the problem.

*As a side note, I'm not familiar with the immobilizer as we don't have it here in the states..

Also, when maintaining the bike, ANY ELECTRICAL CONTACT/PLUG/spark plug cap, etc I come into contact with, gets a coating of di-lectric grease as preventive maintainance. It'll keep any water/crap out of the connector and potential corrosion. My FJR (Gen I) has a connector under the gas tank known to corrode. The bike started running crappy, the dealership couldn't find the problem. A search on an FJR forum pointed me to the connetor which was coroded. Once cleaned and lubed with di-lectric grease, been fine the last 5 years or so...