Observations on altitude in relation to performance and fuel economy

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
On a recent trip out west had a chance to sample some high altitude riding for extended periods of time. I figured performance would be down, but it was seriously sluggish above 10k feet. To the point where at about 11k feet, cruising at 120km/h (75mph), I was dropping speed on a slight incline at full throttle in 6th, had to drop a gear to keep the speed. Overall the bike was extremely slow at the high altitudes, even booting across northern Texas at 6k feet it was still significantly slower than it is closer to sea level that I normally ride at. Getting back home, I am so much more appreciative of the performance of the bike :D

On the inverse, my fuel economy shot up dramatically riding at the higher altitudes. In Toronto which is at about 800ft, I get exactly 300km before the fuel light starts blinking when cruising at a steady speed of 120km/h (75km/h). Hauling ass across flat and straight northern Texas doing 150/160km/h with the bike loaded up with luggage, my reserve light didn't start flashing until ~320km, that was consistent across several gas tanks. For the whole time I was at high altitude I never saw the light flash before 315km, no matter how hard I was riding it. I got a max of 340km/h before the fuel light.

Now my bike is an '06 without an o2 sensor, I wonder how the newer fizzers with an 02 compare.

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently did a trip to Colorado and noticed the same thing. Needless to say I live at 5800 ft, I am used to the bike without all her ponies on tap. I consider myself lucky when I get to drop in elevation. The lowest I have ever had my FZ6 was around 1500ft, I can't wait to get her to sea level...some day.:eek:

From what I understand power loss equates to somwhere around
2% per 1000ft.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Power loss is actually closer to 3-4% loss per 1000 ft. Base elevation for the town I'm in is 7k ft, and most of my riding will take me higher than that to almost 11k ft. My mileage is the same as what it was back in Georgia but I can tell a good loss in power.