Oberon Bar Ends and Footpegs

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed the stock bar-ends a couple of days before removing the stock bars. When I did, the bars vibrated hugely at higher speeds. I didn't realise how much vibration the stock bar-ends soaked up. After swapping the stock bars with the Renthals there was MUCH less vibration but stil a bit much. I wanted some nice simple black bar ends that would fit into the 13mm Renthal bars. I wanted to find some that were as heavy as possible while still having the universal connector.

I searched around the net and asked a few websites that supply streetfighter parts and quite a few recommended Oberon. I looked them up and found the place they manufacture and sell their bits from is just a few miles down the road from where I work. I sent a couple of emails and got myself invited to the site to check out their products and collect my parts personally. They were all very friendly and I got to have a nose around at their shiny bits of metal. They were very knowledgable and helpful:-

I fitted one of the barends to the bike while I was there to check they fitted alright but this is the other one compared to stock:-

Here you can see that they are pretty similar sized:-

I fitted them to the bars without much difficulty. I had to loosen the throttle assembly to slide it back and here's the barend installed:-

Here you can see the bars on the bike:-

Here is a very horrible quality picture of the bars and bar-ends installed:-

The bar-ends look damn nice installed with the new bars and grips:-

They are lighter than stock but still reduce the vibrations from the bars a bit more:-

The bar-ends match really well with my R&G sliders and this pic shows that:-

Overall, the bar-ends are a very nice product and although I wish they were heavier they do a good job of reducing the vibrations and look nice. I'd definitely recommend Oberon products.

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
While I was looking at Oberon bits on the Internet I spied their footpegs. I had a look at them while I was there and decided to see how the footpegs would fit to the bike. I chose the touring style because I had installed pegs similar to their round racing style on my last bike and found them too uncomfortable. Their studded ones looked too weird. They looked damn nice so I bought them along with the bar-ends while I was there.

The pegs are very nice and really easy to adjust the angle using the single bolt that attaches them to the Oberon fitting. They are obviously not as grippy as the original rubbery mount and don't offer quite as much surface area - but after rides of 30 minutes or so they don't feel any worse. They look a hell of a lot better than the stock footpegs as well of course!

Here you can see all the bits you get in the package:-

Here is a quick comparison of the stockers to the shiny new ones:-

I installed the new ones with a bit of fiddling. I had to unscrew one allen bolt and loosen the gear-change lever on the left in order to get the stock peg out. Oberon supplied a nut and bolt with the kit, but the bolt wasn't long enough so I used the stock pin and put the original cotter pin back in:-

Here you can see the peg installed. It looks damn nice. Next time, I would install the attachment and then put the peg part on after-wards. That would make it easier to adjust afterwards:-

Here you can see it from above:-

The right-hand peg was much easier to install and here you can see both the pegs installed together:-

Oberon have quite a few shiny bits that will fit our bike. They've just started marking brake and clutch levers and I'm hoping that they will make some shorty ones for the FZ6. I'm also going to volunteer my bike if they want to develop new products and I'll let everyone know if they make any new exciting products worth buying.

Last edited:

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed the stock bar-ends a couple of days before removing the stock bars. When I did, the bars vibrated hugely at higher speeds. I didn't realise how much vibration the stock bar-ends soaked up. After swapping the stock bars with the Renthals there was MUCH less vibration but stil a bit much. I wanted some nice simple black bar ends that would fit into the 13mm Renthal bars. I wanted to find some that were as heavy as possible while still having the universal connector.

I searched around the net and asked a few websites that supply streetfighter parts and quite a few recommended Oberon. I looked them up and found the place they manufacture and sell their bits from is just a few miles down the road from where I work. I sent a couple of emails and got myself invited to the site to check out their products and collect my parts personally. They were all very friendly and I got to have a nose around at their shiny bits of metal. They were very knowledgable and helpful:-

I fitted one of the barends to the bike while I was there to check they fitted alright but this is the other one compared to stock:-

Here you can see that they are pretty similar sized:-

I fitted them to the bars without much difficulty. I had to loosen the throttle assembly to slide it back and here's the barend installed:-

Here you can see the bars on the bike:-

Here is a very horrible quality picture of the bars and bar-ends installed:-

The bar-ends look damn nice installed with the new bars and grips:-

They are lighter than stock but still reduce the vibrations from the bars a bit more:-

The bar-ends match really well with my R&G sliders and this pic shows that:-

Overall, the bar-ends are a very nice product and although I wish they were heavier they do a good job of reducing the vibrations and look nice. I'd definitely recommend Oberon products.

Hi,

how would you say the renthals/oberon bar ends compare to the original set up with regard to vibrations? Are the bar ends significantly different in wieght and did you use the bars in standard width?

cheers

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

how would you say the renthals/oberon bar ends compare to the original set up with regard to vibrations? Are the bar ends significantly different in wieght and did you use the bars in standard width?

cheers
The Renthal bars have an external diamater of 22mm just like the stock ones so that is the same.

The Oberon barends are far lighter than the stock barends.

The Renthal bars with no bar ends have much less vibration than stock bars without bar ends.

With the Oberon bar ends, the Renthal bars vibrate more than the stock bar ends with stock bar ends. It's not a huge amount worse - but I'm going to keep an eye out for heavier bar ends or mod the stock ones to fit.

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I will go with the renthals as it is a quick cheaper way of moving the bars but I will try and mod the original bar ends to fit.

If I bore a hole up the middle, cut off the threaded section and machine a locating step I have some old internal expanding plugs off some kdx enduro hand guard set up I can use to lock them in place.

Having said that, if I could find a way of holding the existing bar ends in my lathe (they are tapered) I could machine down the threaded section to the right diameter, cut a thread on them and inside the bars and use them in the same way as the original set up.

Anyone got any original bar ends in good nick they want to sell?

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to be a dick but this FZ1 bar stuff tickles me. Ive seen quite a few paying almost $40 for drag bars. You can get a set for $12 (in black) and epoxy a 3/8" nut or a plumbing coupler (lil grinding) involved to recieve the stock weighted bar ends.

Better yet, Ive seen quite a few guys with fz1's looking to swap for fz6 bars.

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to be a dick but this FZ1 bar stuff tickles me. Ive seen quite a few paying almost $40 for drag bars. You can get a set for $12 (in black) and epoxy a 3/8" nut or a plumbing coupler (lil grinding) involved to recieve the stock weighted bar ends.

Better yet, Ive seen quite a few guys with fz1's looking to swap for fz6 bars.

Are the FZ1 bars up and back as much? Handy if they are! I want bars further back, higher and flatter! Moon on a stick eh! Dont fancy using araldite on any of my bikes save plastic bits and then it's a maybe! Cheers

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I will go with the renthals as it is a quick cheaper way of moving the bars but I will try and mod the original bar ends to fit.

If I bore a hole up the middle, cut off the threaded section and machine a locating step I have some old internal expanding plugs off some kdx enduro hand guard set up I can use to lock them in place.

Having said that, if I could find a way of holding the existing bar ends in my lathe (they are tapered) I could machine down the threaded section to the right diameter, cut a thread on them and inside the bars and use them in the same way as the original set up.

Anyone got any original bar ends in good nick they want to sell?
Nice! that's what I was planning to do some time - only I don't have any tools except a hacksaw and drill! If you do this, please document it to help the rest of us! :)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Are the FZ1 bars up and back as much? Handy if they are! I want bars further back, higher and flatter! Moon on a stick eh! Dont fancy using araldite on any of my bikes save plastic bits and then it's a maybe! Cheers
Just do a search and every result will show you that the opposite is mostly true of FZ1 bars! :p They are low, flat and uncomfortable - although they are flatter. If someone wants bars like that, I don't understand why they don't just go the whole hog and buy the much sexier R6! I know this will piss some people off - but the main reason I and many others went for the FZ6 is the sporty looks with upright seating position. :ban:

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Sanger,

I am more than happy to help you out with machining work if it would help, I am no pro but am reasonably handy on the lather etc.

I travel alot on business but you are not far from me so we might be able to work something out in the near future?

I will probably be buying the bars at the end of the month and wont start on mine until then. Let me know if you are interested in modding your original bar ends as an experiment.

Cheers

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Sanger,

I am more than happy to help you out with machining work if it would help, I am no pro but am reasonably handy on the lather etc.

I travel alot on business but you are not far from me so we might be able to work something out in the near future?

I will probably be buying the bars at the end of the month and wont start on mine until then. Let me know if you are interested in modding your original bar ends as an experiment.

Cheers
Yeah definitely mate. Where abouts in the UK are you then? Any help would be gratefully received! :D I've got a week off the week after next actually (good ol' half term). I ride to work and back on the motorway every day and the vibes are starting to annoy me. As for modding my old stock barends, I want to do it - but don't think my tools can handle it! :)

After thinking about it a bit, I reckon that
...if I could find a way of holding the existing bar ends in my lathe (they are tapered) I could machine down the threaded section to the right diameter, cut a thread on them and inside the bars and use them in the same way as the original set up.
would be the most solid option and reduce the vibes the most. You're welcome to have a look at my bars before ordering if you're nearby if you wanted...

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
I am just south of Guildford so not a million miles away. Might be good to check out your bars etc, I am travelling some of next week will check whats what and pm you - see what we can sort out. Cheers