O-rings have started to came off...

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, while i was cleaning my chain with kerosine i noticed that one of my o-ring came off... I was able to see rubber thing... Is it normal when considiring its milage 7435km? By the way I clean and wax my chain every 800 km.

I have added real pictures in post number 7...

Last edited:

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say it's time to replace that chain. And while you're at it, replace that old worn out sprocket. And I'll bet the rear sprocket should be replaced, too. I have 10,000 miles on mine and it looks nowhere near as worn as yours.

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
That's very odd for your chain & sprocket to wear out so quickly. I agree that chain and both sprockets probably need to be replaced, but there is a larger problem here to have caused this. Is your chain tension within specifications?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have over 23,000 miles, not Km, on my original stock chain and sprocket.

Just like youi, I clean my chain with Kerosene and use chain wax to keep it lubed. Maybe not as often as you, but I do the same but my chain and sprocket still is good.

Like some other members have mentioned, when you replace the chain, replace both sprockets too, as the front one looks very worn. Maybe the tension was not correct like some members have said.

Is that bike an FZ6? Looks like your battery is next to the front sprocket.

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site
That picture does not belong to FZ6... :D That is the first chain picture that i encountered in the web, took it and draw the problem on it. I am gonna take pictures as soon as possible...

That is link of the pictures...

Evolution of a Norton Race Bike

W

wrightme43

Well you need a new chain if that one is losing o-rings. If you put on a new chain you need new sprockets if you want to get the most life out of the chain for your money. They need to wear in as a set, and wear out as a set.

Pretty simple deal there. Its just going to cost some money and time.

Perfect time to change your ratio if you want to get more gas milage or more accel.

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site
Today, i had my fz6 checked. Mechanic noticed that the chain had to be tightened. So we adjusted the chain. But after adjustment chain works a alittle bit noisy. He said it is normal. but What do you think?

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Today, i had my fz6 checked. Mechanic noticed that the chain had to be tightened. So we adjusted the chain. But after adjustment chain works a alittle bit noisy. He said it is normal. but What do you think?

I think that you still need to replace your chain and sprockets.

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that you still need to replace your chain and sprockets.

Yeap mate, i told him that too. But he said "your sprockets and chain are in good condition" so I am confused but i gonna change them soon. Thanks.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
After seeing the pictures the first thing I thought of was how loose your chain looks.

But I don't see how having a loose chain could tear it up like that, unless the links are so loose that they're thrashing against the sprockets.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
So far i have used Castrol Chain Wax. But after that problem and reading FZ6 service manual i may start to use engine oil.

Engine oil will fling off easily. Three bad things about this:-
  1. It flings everywhere and makes the bike a mess so you have to clean it loads
  2. It goes onto the tyre which could cause accidents!
  3. It doesn't protect the chain as it's mostly gone over your bike, tyre and the road!

I used 90w oil on my last bike for a while and it's even heavier than 40w engine oil. It flung all over the tyre, wheel and bike. I got rid of the oiler in the end and tried wax (which I hated cleaning off). I'm now happy with lube that I apply weekly and wash off the chain monthly. I still get a tiny bit of fling off on my wheel - but very little and it never makes it to the tyre.

W

wrightme43

dupont teflon chain lube. Try it and you will be happy. No sling, no mess, easy to apply, easy to clean, lubricates great.

DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

Works great, lasts longer, and no mess.

Its a great solution.

I have 25600 miles on stock chain and sprockets. Just starting to get any noticable wear on the rear sprocket. No where near replacement time.

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for you solutions. I keep them in my mind. ;) I am not gonna use engine oil. :D

What do you think about sound? Is it normal after adjusment? It looks like a differential sound in cars...

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The sounds after adjustment is really common - it will go away after about 100mi of normal riding. I know the sound of which you speak - after I adjusted my chain tension, I thought (because of that sound) that it was so tight it was ready to rip off the front sprocket so I loosened it until the sound went away but that was definitely too loose, so I tightened it up to specs again. Listening to others in the forum talk about post-chain adjustment noises makes me think this is normal. Especially considering that it goes away after a bit.

Anyone else have thoughts?

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

After the 5000km service (oil and filter) My mechanic told me that he adjusted the chain. After that i can here a noise coming from the chain. I have 5500km on the tacho now and i clean and wax-oil my chain every 800-1000 km. I use wd-40 for cleaning with a KETTEN-MAX http://www.kettenmax.at/en/company/co_kmax_classic.asp, let it dry and then i use a Castrol wax or Bel Ray chain lube. I don't think i'm doing s/th wrong. There was no noise before the adjustment. I checked the chain and it looks ok. :confused: