Now there's something you don't see every day!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been there before. Too bad about the fence around the perimeter. It's a very strange place, because you'll be driving for hours at a time through the countryside, seeing nothing but hills and meadows in every direction. Hours upon hours later, the stones appear.

I believe a glacial rock may have been left behind, thousands of years ago. Some stonecutter must have carved them out and turned the remaining debris into gravel, which was carried away.

The stacking process? That technique was borrowed from the Egyptians who used counterweights to move the stones on top of one another.

That's my interpretation.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Never knew about the fence...sucks that is what it takes to stop a-holes from destroying history........even in the middle of nowhere.

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Stonehenge!

Know it well - my mother lives in the town adjacent, Amesbury. Way back before the travellers/police standoffs in the '80s, we used to walk up before dawn on Summer Solstice to see the sun come up and the Druids do their thing.

Raid: it's still believed by many that some of the rocks were brought, by hand overland, from as far away as Wales, for reasons we still don't/probably never will understand. The theory behind why and how the place was built has changed again recently as a result of further discoveries in the area Stonehenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There has been talk - probably canned now because of the recession - to bury in a tunnel the road that passes by Stonehenge and build a visitors centre a few miles away so the whole place returns to how it may have looked in prehistory.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FAKE!!! PHOTOSHOP!!!

:p

jk. Ya, near where I live, we have a giant metal basebal bat that SPINS AROUND.

Edmonton: 1
Aldermaston: 0

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
The fence is in place so they can charge tourists money to visit Stonehenge.

My wife was in England during the Summer of 2007 and thought it was a bit silly to pay something like $30 to enter the "park". She stopped along side the road and snapped a few photos with her camera.

Last edited:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Know it well - my mother lives in the town adjacent, Amesbury. Way back before the travellers/police standoffs in the '80s, we used to walk up before dawn on Summer Solstice to see the sun come up and the Druids do their thing.

My in-laws live in Netheravon, just a few miles up the road. It's still open every solstice. The wife goes down there with a buch of mates and stays up to watch the sun rise. I normally use the opportunity to drink a few cans and watch action movies with the volume turned up

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a true song about the history of Stonehenge

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlf5ucFanpY]YouTube - Spinal Tap Tiny Stonehenge[/ame]

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always found stonehenge a bit of a let down, especially when you paid the entrance fee :(
Now I always found avesbury and surrounding area much more interesting, and it's free :thumbup:
13516d1236282636t-show-us-your-fz6-touring-mode-img_1159.jpg