Note to self: verify the kickstand is ALL THE WAY down

Stevoman

Reaction score
Visit site
First post here, and it's in the hall of shame. :(

Pulled into the parking lot, kicked the stand down, foolishly assumed it was all the way down, and started dismounting. I'm not exactly the strongest guy, and once gravity kicked in there was no stopping it. A few light scratches on the engine, and the left mirror broke off. Pretty sure I can cover the scratches with a sharpie, but the mirror snapped clean.

Best way to acquire a new mirror? It's part number 4S8-26280-00-00 according to Yamaha's catalog. These guys have one for $67 with $13 shipping, is that a good price? Guessing my dealer will try to rip me off, yeah?

Also I'm a total noob at this, so I'm assuming it's easy for me to replace, right?

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Did the same thing 2 months ago, but my helmet was strapped on, so it got crushed, and the side pod, but nothing else. But a $20 used mirror is awesome compared to killing a nice Shoei.

Now you know, right! Kick that bugger and check it twice.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think almost all of us have done that or similar at one point in time, ive done it once with this bike and now i make sure to kick it out good plus once im off i grab the bike and pull it back just a little for my peace of mind, and pulling it back ive noticed a couple of times that when i thought it was all the way extended it obviously wasnt since when the bike.moved back it locked into place. Imo pulling the bike back is a great habbit to get into

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
You're a step ahead of me. I once tried to stand up a bike without using the kickstand at all. It didn't work all that well. :(

May your next post not be in the Hall of Shame. ;)

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im on my mobile now, but check the "for sale" section of the forum.

I saw a few members selling mirrors. Good luck with your search and may your repairs be speedy. :)

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Did the exact same thing second day I had the bike at gas station. It was so embarassing. Totally racked myself and put some minor scrapes on bike. I learned after that to make sure of the stand.

Stevoman

Reaction score
Visit site
Well thank you guys for helping me feel better; it hurt my pride more than anything. :)

Got the replacement mirror from Ben_H, pro status! :thumbup:

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Jip, happened to me too once. At work, I fell really hard on my backpack with laptop inside. Luckily the laptop broke my fall. (Doh!):D

Scratches on the engine, scratched mirror, scratched fairing thing. Even bent the fairing arm thing that holds the main fairing. Had to bend that back. Oh, and broke the light, so tons of water would always get in there.

Fixed it all, very expensive bits.

AND, a guy from work had to help me pick my bike up - 220kg, full tank. = Embarrassment. :rolleyes:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this once, and ended up partially pinned between the bike and the hood of my wife's car, which I part the bike in front of. Lesson learned!

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, been there, done that. I call it my 7/8th's of a drop, as I didn't drop it all the way. It was still on my leg and I could see my cousin in my left mirror, hustling to get off his bike to help me. :rolleyes:
Welcome to the hall of shame! and to the forum! :welcome:
20 bucks for a mirror sounds much better!! :thumbup:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, i have done this on accident when i rolled forward slightly after putting the stand down. To make it easy to pick up just pull the handlebars towards you and walk backwards. Even a small girl could pick up the heavy bike this way.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, i have done this on accident when i rolled forward slightly after putting the stand down. To make it easy to pick up just pull the handlebars towards you and walk backwards. Even a small girl could pick up the heavy bike this way.

Huh. I wedged my knees under the tank and handlebars and muscled the bike up straight sideways. I hope I never have to do it again (poor old Nighthawk), but if I do, I'll try to remember your tip. If adrenaline and mortification don't kick in first and get me doing it the big-girl way.

Oh, and to prevent it from rolling forward, it's a good idea to roll it forward in gear until it won't go any farther, and then put the kickstand down (all the way). ;)

Last edited:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Huh. I wedged my knees under the tank and handlebars and muscled the bike up straight sideways. I hope I never have to do it again (poor old Nighthawk), but if I do, I'll try to remember your tip. If adrenaline and mortification don't kick in first and get me doing it the big-girl way.

Oh, and to prevent it from rolling forward, it's a good idea to roll it forward in gear until it won't go any farther, and then put the kickstand down (all the way). ;)

i have a bad habbit of parking in nuetral im trying to break :(

What i mean is if your bike falls over, just get off it, face your back to it, pull the handlaebar towards you at full lock, hold the handle bar and rear grip bar, then just slowly walk backward using your legs to push it up. Easy as pie :). Little girls would be able to lift huge hogs.

Your supposed to do it from the other side and put the kick stand out that way it doesnt drop over again the other way. But in this case the bike has fallen over on kick stand side, so just be careful not to get it up too much and over to fall again.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a bad habbit of parking in nuetral im trying to break :(

What i mean is if your bike falls over, just get off it, face your back to it, pull the handlaebar towards you at full lock, hold the handle bar and rear grip bar, then just slowly walk backward using your legs to push it up. Easy as pie :). Little girls would be able to lift huge hogs.

Your supposed to do it from the other side and put the kick stand out that way it doesnt drop over again the other way. But in this case the bike has fallen over on kick stand side, so just be careful not to get it up too much and over to fall again.

I almost want to try this. Almost.