Not good, what else is to be said...

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the wreck, unfortunately it comes with the territory. As others have said, the bike can be replaced, and I am glad you are feeling/getting better.

Your "wobble" was actually the start of a tank slapper. Anytime you unload the front suspension, the geometry changes. If you are accelerating hard in first gear, most likely the front tire was barely touching the pavement, if at all. If your handle bars are not perfectly straight, you can compound the issue once you rapidly close the throttle. The suspension geometry want's to keep the bike going straight, but the weight transfer and possible angle of the front tire, suddenly change the bike course. This creates the side to side motion that is known as a tank slapper, or harmonic feedback. This feedback means that a small force is being applied EXACTLY in-phase with the end of a counter-force (shock absorber) which results in another 'bounce' of the system AND AN AMPLIFICATION of the previous bounce, so it gets worse after each cycle.

If you are going to be doing more and more wheelies/aggressive riding, I would strongly suggest a steering dampener. This will help stop the rapid handle bar movement and allow you to regain control. Another tip is to "feather" the clutch if you have to suddenly close the throttle at higher RPM's. This allows a more gradual weight transfer, or just pull the clutch in all the way and use the brakes once the bike is stable.

Modern motorcycles have come a long way in the past 20 years in terms of performance, braking, and suspension design, but you can not cheat the laws of physics. I know you will learn from this experience and be a better rider for it. I am glad you are not discouraged, it can be a challenge to do something again when there was recent pain involved.

Ride safe everyone.

Wanders

Reaction score
Visit site
I would really like to thank all of you for helping me determine what caused the incident. I may not of been able to keep an open mind to riding again not knowing what happened and the fact that it was simply my fault. For some reason knowing it was something I did wrong, it makes me feel at ease to ride again. I know one things certain, I wont be pushing it quite as hard, for awhile at least :rolleyes:

Really though, thank you all.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear that you are OK. I would be so mad at myself for messing up my bike, to bad bike don't heal also. Good for you for going on such a long trip and comming out of it painted side up.

Get well soon :cheer:

Doc

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
in the long run, you'll be alright mate. just be smart. you're lucky you werent going faster and hit a light pole or something. no amount of gear would help you there.

ride in your comfort level and you will pretty much almost never find yourself in over your head like you did there.

what is the extent of the damage to the ligamants and tendons? are they in your ankle only or the ones in ur knee too???

Wanders

Reaction score
Visit site
Went down to the garage today to get a feel for what I was going to have to replace for me to ride it. Besides the rather disturbing cosmetic damage the right foot peg broke off, handle bars are bent along with the break/clutch levers. Engine covers are all torn up but again, cosmetic. The dent in the gas tank, wow is all I can say. I want pics but still no camera available, asking buddy again.

So would anyone whose been following this mind giving me some advise with the handlebar situation, should I replace it with stock? Or mod it out for something else? I know there are a bunch of threads with mods but just asking for some opinions here.

As to the tendons that ripped, doc says since I had surgery he was able to reconnect everything and it shouldn't bother me after everything heals. Man I want to ride, so bad. I have a bad enough back injury that I deal with pain constantly, I don't even feel my ankle/leg really it's just an annoyance. After back surgery didn't do me much, countless injections into my back, two years of physical therapy not helping well I finally found something I can do that I enjoy and provides excitement. Miss it so much.

I was the "play it safe" type of person before I herniated two discs into my sciatic nerve causing chronic pain well I've been less play it safe and more just play it... L4, L5, L5 S1 for those familiar... from lifting a 55 pound box. Think I lifted with my knees? haha