Not another day in the office

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well today I had a meeting, not a big deal but it was more than 2 hours ride from here. but as I was going to be travelling in the rush hour (to get there in the morning) I decided to take the bike.

Well the weather man said there was chance of some heavy showers but also the occasional bright spell :thumbup:

Well the ride in the morning went well, filtering through the rush hour :thumbup:.

The meeting took longer than planned but we were finished about 3 in the afternoon. Well the weather was still good so I took a detour to visit my wifes cousin in the old town of Middelburg.
After having a chat whilst drinking a coffee and having a couple of sandwiches I headed off from Middelburg following a route I had found on internet. The route took me along the coast, I started in Domburg a quaint seaside town.

View attachment 26210

and then followed the coast northward. Along the way I stopped off to look at part of the delta works

View attachment 26211

View attachment 26212

And stopped off at a castle in Burg haamstede

View attachment 26215

The weather had been kind until the heavens opened when I was about a quarter of an hour from home.

I really enjoyed my day riding around and finally got home about 2030 :cheer:.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one Martin, no doubt you will be putting in an expense claim for your fuel lol.

Nelly

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ooh very nice. when your work day is the equivalent of someones dream vacation you know you had a good day.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I love Holland!!!

Last time I went to Amsterdam (10 years ago) we crashed in a camping which is close to downtown for about a week (blurry week I must say), and then we rented a car and drove to Haarlem and then Zandvort, where we found another camping on the Beach... good times...

Are you close to these spots in Alkmaar?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love Holland!!!

Last time I went to Amsterdam (10 years ago) we crashed in a camping which is close to downtown for about a week (blurry week I must say), and then we rented a car and drove to Haarlem and then Zandvort, where we found another camping on the Beach... good times...

Are you close to these spots in Alkmaar?

Amsterdam is about 30 mins by train from here (it's about the same by car but then you can't :iconbeer:).
Haarlem's about a 20 minute drive.
Last year the wife and I dropped the kids at the in-laws while we spent a long weekend of quality time in Zandvoort :cheer:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't mean to thread jack, but here are the pics :) July 2001

My friend Dom in a square in Amsterdam:

4466389160_6ba44b091b_o.jpg

Main transportation in the city:

4465613689_1c3ca2b4c9_o.jpg

The Red District:

4466389204_0fafb47576_o.jpg

4465613653_b0b1ded5b2_o.jpg

The camping... with a dude that dropped his tent there next to ours and starting hanging out with us :)

4465613621_e2762786e0_o.jpg

Another cool dude we met... he sounded like Brian Adams lol

4466389426_203499fea6_o.jpg

On our way to the beach:

4465613807_45ab03aaa5_o.jpg

4466389480_ca4c6e6656_o.jpg

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't mean to thread jack, but here are the pics :) July 2001

My friend Dom in a square in Amsterdam:

The "Damrak"

Main transportation in the city:

4465613689_1c3ca2b4c9_o.jpg
I always find it funny many friends and family who come here make fun of the rickety Dutch bikes but the truth of the matter is they are very sturdy, people just try to make them less attractive to potential thieves.

The Red District:

4465613653_b0b1ded5b2_o.jpg

This is not the red light district (technically speaking) but it is a photo of one of my favourite Cafes in Amsterdam "in de wildeman" :thumbup: its is a nice place with character, not a big place but it has a wide range of beers both bottled and on draught from all corners of the globe (although mainly european), and for the beer bores among us it is recommended by CAMRA.

The camping... with a dude that dropped his tent there next to ours and starting hanging out with us :)
Another cool dude we met... he sounded like Brian Adams lol
On our way to the beach:

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit David, generally the Dutch are very friendly and "open" people :thumbup:

So when are you visiting again?

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I fell asleep on the couch early in the evening as I was tired but it had been a great day.

Well this was the route I rode,

View attachment 26223

Near Delft I just joined the motorway and headed home.

Nice one Martin, no doubt you will be putting in an expense claim for your fuel lol.

Nelly

Nelly I'll be getting (car) petrol costs for getting there and back, it's great to know my boss will be paying for my great day out :cheer:

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice picys.

Went to see the diamonds being cut in Amsterdam, many years ago. :thumbup:

Hope you didn't go with your wife, as women are supposed to enjoy doing a bit of shopping after the tour :eek:
I've been with a bunch of colleagues before but luckily my wife has never shown any interest :thumbup:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
The "Damrak"

I always find it funny many friends and family who come here make fun of the rickety Dutch bikes but the truth of the matter is they are very sturdy, people just try to make them less attractive to potential thieves.

This is not the red light district (technically speaking) but it is a photo of one of my favourite Cafes in Amsterdam "in de wildeman" :thumbup: its is a nice place with character, not a big place but it has a wide range of beers both bottled and on draught from all corners of the globe (although mainly european), and for the beer bores among us it is recommended by CAMRA.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit David, generally the Dutch are very friendly and "open" people :thumbup:

So when are you visiting again?

Thanks for the tips! :) I've been wanting to come back to 'Dam for a while, but I have a family now... and we only get 2 weeks off a year here :(

I`ll be in France in May but its on business and I wont have the time to travel around...

One day though! :rockon: