Noob question???

bthames2000

Reaction score
Visit site
So, just bought a 2008 FZ6(yes, I will post pics shortly) and I have a bit of an issue to deal with. The bike already has fz1 bars and I like them, but I want to bring them closer to me. How much of "rise" can I get before I have to change out the cables? 2 inches would prob be plenty.

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be a bit of a noob answer but you could try looking at how much slack you have in the cables and kinda eyeball it, or if you have the time and tools, take the controls loose and see how far you can move them. Even less "screwing" around and you could take the 4 screws that hold the bar on, off and pull the whole bar, then you'll know which is the limiting control.

Sadly I'm without my bike at the moment but based off what I've seen in some of the naked conversion shots on here, you probably have at least 3-4".

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Have a look at that thread:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/50793-fz6r-handlebars-drill-needed.html

I think there is almost 2" difference in rise between the FZ6r/FZ6 bars and the FZ1 bars.
And i am pretty sure people have used risers with the stock bar, so i would assume that you have at least 2" to spare, if not 3"

If you want to keep the angle of the FZ1 bar but add rise without using a riser ( cleaner look) you could just get some FZ6r bars, they are a direct swap and probably not much more expensive than a riser.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can I use the bar ends and grips from the fz1? I'm pretty positive they're aftermarket.

Take a picture of your setup and post here. It will be even more helpful if you undo one bar end and post a picture of it here. This way we can easily tell you if it'll work on FZ6R bar.

If the above is interchangeable, I too would suggest you go for the FZ6R bar. It'll cost less than a nice set of risers and as Carlos said, will give you a clean look and the rise you want.

If, however, you want to bring the bar both up AND back, you will need offset risers. You should have plenty of cable to go 2 up + 2 back.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Can I use the bar ends and grips from the fz1? I'm pretty positive they're aftermarket.

The FZ1, FZ6 and FZ6r all have the same bar end threads and bar diameter, just different rise and sweep angle. Anything that is designed for one will fit the others.

FYI the stock bar ends are the same on all 3 models, not sure about the grips, but i would put Progrips either way, they are a lot nicer than the slippery stock ones.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1, FZ6 and FZ6r all have the same bar end threads and bar diameter, just different rise and sweep angle. Anything that is designed for one will fit the others.

This is true, BUT.. the threaded inserts can be drilled out of stock bars to use aftermarket setup (I have FZ1 bar with no threaded inserts). This is why I want OP to undo one bar end to make sure the bar he has still has threads inside. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the STOCK FZ6 bar, you can raise them 1" and bring them back 1 & 3/8".

All the cables will reach, you may have to re-clock the ft brake line slightly and mod the brake line mount under the lower triple tree...

Last edited:

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the stock FZ6 bars and SW Motech risers. They put the bars up 1" and back 1". They make a comfortable bike more comfortable. The lines are about to their limit, I don't think I would stretch them any further.

bthames2000

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking with the FZ1 bars, which I really like, I could go with 2 inch rise 2 inch pullback. The fz1 bars, unlike the fz6 bars, are flat. Hmmm.. Now, where to get them..?

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used Flanders bars on another bike to use stock riser and get the pull back and rise I wanted they have lots of 7/8" bars, just a suggestion? Although I went lower and less rise so the cable length wasn't an issue. Good luck!