Noob Question

ktp1598

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought a nice 2005 FZ6. It has been well cared for with only 5200 miles. While this is nowhere near my 1st bike, it is my 1st sport bike. I'm having trouble shifting smoothly. All my other bikes were carbureted and held onto the revs just a little bit longer than this one does. I do fine when accelerating quickly but am jerky through the neighborhood as the revs rise and fall so fast with the clutch in. Is there some sort of technique I should be using or an upgrade I can do to make it a little easier for me? Some of my previous bikes: 2008 Ninja 500, 2005 Ninja 250, 1989 Yamaha Radian, 2003 Shadow 750, etc. Thanks for any advice!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site!!! And technically the fz6 is considered a standard bike, but seeing how it performs most people refer to it as a sport, but anyways the fz6 has a very sensitive throttle and basically is either on or off so that could be where some of your issues are coming from. The easiest way to fix that would be just getting some miles in the bike and learning just how sensitive it is. Also since your obviously not new to bikes you should know by now how much the type of oil that's In the bike effects shifting. If you don't know what the PO was running perhaps you should change it. Also 1st to 2nd is a rather "rough" shift on these bikes to begin with, and just takes some getting used to.

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
The fz has a nasty on / off throttle the best advice practice shifting at the exact same rpm everytime and change how you shift i.e. how much clutch how much gas how fast u release etc you'll findit. I shift @ 9k from first to second and for me its wickedsmooth

ktp1598

Reaction score
Visit site
If I shifted at 9k through the neighborhood my cop friend wouldn't be so friendly anymore! I read somewhere there's a throttle tube with a cam like function. Would it help and is it worth the $80 they are asking?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
clutchless is probably the smoothest, but only works changing up and accellerating

apply firm pressure to the gear lever whilst accellerating or holding throttle open, quickly shut the throttle off and on again and it should shift into the next gear

i usually use the clutch from 1st to 2nd though

also being quick with the changes makes them smoother

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
If I shifted at 9k through the neighborhood my cop friend wouldn't be so friendly anymore! I read somewhere there's a throttle tube with a cam like function. Would it help and is it worth the $80 they are asking?

Don't waste your money just learn how to ride it... No need to shift at that high of an rpm either... I can shift smoothy at any rpm on this bike or on any other bike for that matter... Just practice more...

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing, you are riding through a neighborhood at 20-35 mph at most? You don't even need to shift past 2nd gear for this. You can ride the rpm range, and only switch gears coming to a stop. Fz6 does feel a little funky at low speeds but the best solution is to keep riding until you get it. There is no mod or technique that will resolve this for you.

Adjust your chain slack and throttle slack for the smoothest operation.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You also don't need to pull the clutch in ALL the way. Just enough to slightly separate and take pressure off the clutch plates as you shift into the higher gear. Shifting this bike takes some getting used to because of the jerky throttle but you'll get the hang of it.