No more clutch

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
I was just looking at the Yamaha website at the new FJR, talk about making it easy, clutchless shifting.

<LI class=featuretext>Yamaha exclusive electric-shift five-speed transmission eliminates the clutch lever entirely—now you can click off super-smooth shifts using either the left bar-mounted paddles or the foot-operated gearshift lever.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the makers of Power Commander have some sort of clutchless shifting or at least something very close to it. Great for track days or race days. Aprilla has one as well, a tiptronic option/automatic gearing whatchamacallit hozzit.:D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Yes they do. From what I understand there is a switch in the shifter that cuts the motor for a nano-second so you can hit the next gear.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see a big practical use for it on the street, on the track yes. But on everyday riding??? Maybe if ride on freeways alot... just my $0.02.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yea, it takes teh fun out of missed shifts! for a big touring ride, maybe, but that just makes it like a very large scooter...shifting requires technique and creates more challenge to perfecting your riding skill!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I typically don't use the clutch on up shifts from 2-6. Blip, shift. Blip shift.

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
:Im With Stupid: (The only arrow pointing up....sorry)

I do the same but use my clutch when I'm just tooling around or running errands. I love shifting and going clutchless takes all the fun away.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I was just looking at the Yamaha website at the new FJR, talk about making it easy, clutchless shifting.

<LI class=featuretext>Yamaha exclusive electric-shift five-speed transmission eliminates the clutch lever entirely—now you can click off super-smooth shifts using either the left bar-mounted paddles or the foot-operated gearshift lever.

That's not new... the clutchless model of the FJR has been out since 2006....

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely clutching for me, I like the feeling of switching gears by using the clutch. I also enjoy "blipping" the engine when shifting gears, not too much though. Sound great especially with the TB on.