No first?

YamahaKid98

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all I am having some issues shifting down into first. It was fine a few weeks ago and went on a ride this past weekend. By the time i got halfway home i couldn't find first anymore. Now i am having to ride in second and try to not bog it down taking off. I was able to find first without an issue but once the bike was warm there was nothing there. Its just an empty gear. Not sure if it is involved but my clutch doesnt engage until the very last half inch or so of the lever. Really hope this isn't going to be a headache because the nice weather is finally here.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Try the simple things first. Get some oil into the joints on the external shifter linkage. A penetrating oil like WD40 will be good to get into the joint, but it's better to use a 3-in-1 oil or spray on lithium grease because that will stay there while the WD40 will evaporate rather quickly.

If just getting the joints to work more easily doesn't work, others on here will have suggestions for other things to check.

Good Luck!

YamahaKid98

Reaction score
Visit site
Try the simple things first. Get some oil into the joints on the external shifter linkage. A penetrating oil like WD40 will be good to get into the joint, but it's better to use a 3-in-1 oil or spray on lithium grease because that will stay there while the WD40 will evaporate rather quickly.

If just getting the joints to work more easily doesn't work, others on here will have suggestions for other things to check.

Good Luck!
Ill try that when I'm out of work. The shifter moves all the way down as if it will change gears but the internals aren't grabbing.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you get it in with the engine off by rolling it?
If so, does pulling the clutch in allow you to roll the bike? Use second gear if first is not available.

If the lever through the rear sets is hitting the inside that triangle, it could just be a simple adjustment to center the shifter in the opening.
But you say its not catching.... I'd pull the cover with the shift shaft and look inside for damage or sticking. There ar e springs and a mechanism inside. If a spring breakes or can't return to center, that could explain this....

YamahaKid98

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you get it in with the engine off by rolling it?
If so, does pulling the clutch in allow you to roll the bike? Use second gear if first is not available.

If the lever through the rear sets is hitting the inside that triangle, it could just be a simple adjustment to center the shifter in the opening.
But you say its not catching.... I'd pull the cover with the shift shaft and look inside for damage or sticking. There ar e springs and a mechanism inside. If a spring breakes or can't return to center, that could explain this....
After riding back home I realized the shift lever was not returning back to center. I was however able to shift normally by lifting the lever up before clicking down again. Im thinking the spring you speak off could be the issue.

YamahaKid98

Reaction score
Visit site
I realized the issue after second, third, and fourth were having the same issue. Got to be a spring inside. Is that relatively simple to pull apart and check?

YamahaKid98

Reaction score
Visit site

YamahaKid98

Reaction score
Visit site
693fd6a591b17fad009520e934f8b0ce.jpg

Good news! I shot some of this into the joints first. Then clicked it through the gears and took it for a spin around the block. Good as new!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrates on the easy fix.

As ShoopCE mentioned (great call BTW), I would use something a little heavier, maybe "liquid wrench" penetrating oil (spray)

I would also remove the shifter lever itself, clean and re-grease the shaft it rides on. One bolt....

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!

I know what you're feeling. Well probably.

I bought my FZ6 in September 2013 and right at the end of the first fairly cold ride in October the shifter got crazy difficult. So I limped the last few miles to get home and was thinking "Geez I just got this bike and now this is gonna be expensive and take a freaking week in the shop!"

When I got home I logged on to this forum, did a search, and found several posts about the shifter and the way the linkage can bind up. It was late by then but I went to the garage and applied some spray on lithium grease and voila! It was fixed! Simple, easy, cheap, and just like that I was back to loving the bike.

Sometimes the problem is deep into the engine or tranny. But sometimes it's simple and either way, folks on this forum can help you because somebody on here has seen it before.

Chris

YamahaKid98

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrates on the easy fix.

As ShoopCE mentioned (great call BTW), I would use something a little heavier, maybe "liquid wrench" penetrating oil (spray)

I would also remove the shifter lever itself, clean and re-grease the shaft it rides on. One bolt....
Definitely going to. I knew I had PB Blaster and a white grease laying around but for the sake of it all this worked for now. Since its raining for the next few days I'll have to wait to grease the rest up and when I'm there hit it with something a bit heavier like you said. And while I'm there clean up the splines on the lever itself and connections as well. Thanks for the help!