Newspaper article over recent motorcycle fatalities in Vegas

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link to that was in the local paper this past weekend sparked by the recent deaths involving riders.

Last Wednesday, during a popular sportbike night at a local shop with a live DJ' and is a nonalcoholic event, the cops were on hand and checking everyone's M endorsement and were impounding all the bikes that belonged to riders riding illegally.

Of course, the Harley guys weren't hassled, and there weekly get together is at a local bar, making it the true meaning of a biker bar.

Of course, the journalist couldn't come out when I was teaching.

Motorcycle fatalities spike recently on Las Vegas roads - News - ReviewJournal.com

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

What a waste. The guy probably would have had a good chance of surviving the crash if he had a helmet on. When you have a wife, plus kids, wearing a helmet is a no brainer. Hope he had life insurance so that his family is taken care of thru this difficult time. RIP.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Last Wednesday, during a popular sportbike night at a local shop with a live DJ' and is a nonalcoholic event, the cops were on hand and checking everyone's M endorsement and were impounding all the bikes that belonged to riders riding illegally.

Isn't an officer required to have probable cause to stop you and require you to "show your papers?" Or was it like the sobriety checkpoints that are for some reason conisdered OK? (I don't condone drunk driving and hope anyone doing so gets caught - I just don't like police state tactics.)

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
When you have a wife, plus kids, wearing a helmet is a no brainer.

Wearing a helmet is a no brainer regardless whether you have a wife or kids. It's still your life that you are trying to save.

Isn't an officer required to have probable cause to stop you and require you to "show your papers?" Or was it like the sobriety checkpoints that are for some reason conisdered OK? (I don't condone drunk driving and hope anyone doing so gets caught - I just don't like police state tactics.)

Yes, if the office pulls you over then he needs a probable cause to do so. If it is a checkpoint then it has been contested and proved in courts that the checkpoints are legal if they are only for the purpose of doing what they were set up for. So a DUI checkpoint has to be for checking DUIs only although that is hardly ever respected and people are cited for a lot other violations than just the DUI. Yep, the 4th Amendment has been pretty much thrown out the window.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Things are probably different in the UK to what they are in the states but when I was a police officer in the Uk we could stop any vehicle on a public road to check driver documents and the vehicle. If in the process of that check other offences come to light or were suspected then they could be acted on. IE: driver smells of alcohol carry out a breath test.

Steve

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Of course, the Harley guys weren't hassled, and there weekly get together is at a local bar, making it the true meaning of a biker bar.

Are there any distinguishing demographics between the 2 sets in Vegas?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the 4th Amendment has been pretty much thrown out the window.

Glad I'm not the only one that notices such things.

Things are probably different in the UK to what they are in the states but when I was a police officer in the Uk we could stop any vehicle on a public road to check driver documents and the vehicle. If in the process of that check other offences come to light or were suspected then they could be acted on. IE: driver smells of alcohol carry out a breath test.

Steve

Well, I guess that is sort of why we have the 4th Amendment here in the States. Thanks to good 'ol King George III, the Founding Fathers saw fit to include it in the Bill of Rights group of amendments to the US constitution:

AMENDMENT IV - The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Sadly, as noted above, the protections afforded by this and other parts of the Constitution are being progressively eroded. Sorry, I guess this is crossing the line to discussion that belongs over in Underground Politics, I'll shut up now.

PS - No offense (or offence, if you prefer) intended to my UK friends. Above is a commentary on the situation in the US.

Last edited:

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
"The roads are very crowded in this city. ... Motorists aren't looking for them." - Kevin Rexford

I know the article is focusing on the stupid things that some guys on sport bikes do, but it's funny how this bit is overlooked.

I don't know that I've ever seen an article entitled "Distracted Motorists Lead to High Numbers of Motorcycle Fatalities." I'm sure it's out there, but nowhere near in the numbers that literature condemning motorcyclists is.

The Hurt Report (from what I can remember) concluded that most collisions between cars/trucks and motorcycles were caused by the other motorists not seeing the motorcycle. Most people conclude we need to wear brightly colored gear from that. That's a fine conclusion, but I'm not sure it's the whole answer.

No one is forcing us to ride motorcycles and we have to accept the risks. I think a lot of people take that to mean that other people have the right to "accidentally" get us hurt because they weren't paying attention.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one that notices such things.

Well, I guess that is sort of why we have the 4th Amendment here in the States. Thanks to good 'ol King George III, the Founding Fathers saw fit to include it in the Bill of Rights group of amendments to the US constitution:

AMENDMENT IV - The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Sadly, as noted above, the protections afforded by this and other parts of the Constitution are being progressively eroded. Sorry, I guess this is crossing the line to discussion that belongs over in Underground Politics, I'll shut up now.

PS - No offense (or offence, if you prefer) intended to my UK friends. Above is a commentary on the situation in the US.

If a police officer is walking around a biker hangout and says hey can I see your license and registration you have the right to say no. Him asking is not a breach of the 4th amendment. Now if you show him and don't have the M stamp then by all means impound the bike if it can be shown they didn't trailer it in. IMO the more unlicensed riders taken off the street the better.