manybikes

Reaction score
Visit site
I just acquired a 05 FZ6, bike only has about 2500 miles.
Anyway, I have owned 45 different bikes and the past few years been mostly into adventure type stuff. Besides the FZ6 I have a BMW 1150GSA, 72 Yamaha RD350 and a 83 BMW R100S.

Anyway, I had forgot what fun it is to have some high revving, light weight power. Very impressed with this bike so far.

Now, farkle time....first addition might be a bit of a taller windshield.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: This is the best forum out there. You will enjoy your FZ6 alot. They are great motorcycles. Ride safe and enjoy your new toy!
:needpics:

manybikes

Reaction score
Visit site
Enjoying the FZ6 already! Love the way it revs, don't forget I've been riding a Beemer Boxer and a Ducati Multistrada (just sold) for the last 6 years.
Both are low redline twins compared to the 6.

I've looked into a few options for a taller windshield, looks like a choice between the Yamaha optional tall or a Laminar lip, choices for the pre 07's are bit more limited.

I'm 5'10", any comments on either choice would be appreciated...haven't had a chance to check out all the threads related to this subject yet....hey..I've been busy!

af_tourer

Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on your new bike. i myself am a newbie to the FZ6 and i love it as well. i've been debating on the windscreen issue as well (i'm 6ft) probably gonna go with the Laminar Lip and see how that goes. If not then i'll get the yammy tall windshield and add the lip to it. There are literally a ton of threads here about windshields, so take your pick. Enjoy the ride, and again :welcome:
:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
why do you want to replace the windscreen? that is, what problem are you trying to correct or what are you trying to improve?

I'm 6'3" and the buffetting was bad so I ended up cutting DOWN the windscreen which produced great results. there is a thread on this somewhere...I think by "steveindenmark" if I am no mistaking.

The puig windscreen for the pre-07 is good for most. Not a lot of people like the yamaha tall screen....I hated it.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
the first thing I did with my FZ6 was get the taller windscreen. I was thinking about touring and that was on the list of recomended items to get according to a motorcycle magizine. I noticed it moved the wind up from hitting me in the chest to around my shoulders. It's easy to hide behind.

I have thought about changing it back but I have gotten so used to it I don't even notice it.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
why do you want to replace the windscreen? that is, what problem are you trying to correct or what are you trying to improve?

I'm 6'3" and the buffetting was bad so I ended up cutting DOWN the windscreen which produced great results. there is a thread on this somewhere...I think by "steveindenmark" if I am no mistaking.

The puig windscreen for the pre-07 is good for most. Not a lot of people like the yamaha tall screen....I hated it.

You're right, it was Steve.

Link below, and :welcome: to the forum manybikes

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/6519-2006-windscreen-mod.html

manybikes

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info/opinions. I was actually looking to get better wind protection for the colder weather, I also do not like buffeting. I must be the right height because the buffeting with the stock screen is minimal.

I am actually thinking of trying the Laminar lip, I have bought these in the past for various bikes with good results. Fairly inexpensive to try out.
I have done my share of expensive windshield buying with poor or worse results (don't these people ever try their own product?)

However..it is a finicky type thing due there are so many variables and personal preferences.

I will search through my boxes of old parts, I think I have a lip from another bike that may work.