Newb seeking advice

wildcatboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't sure where the best place to post would be...but here it goes. I have lurked these forums for a while now. I just got my first bike last summer. I took Ohio's Rider Safety course. Got my license and am ready to rock. I searched for many months for the perfect bike and found a gem in the local paper.

I bought a 2004 FZ6 used, if you call have 5 miles used. They guy I bought it off of had an unfortunate wreck with his previous bike and this FZ6 was his insurance replacement. He hasn't ridden since.

So to my question. Since this bike is virtually new...but in essence 5 yrs old. Is there anything I should check out before the season really kicks up here in Ohio? I have changed the oil and replaced the battery. I didn't know if there were any other fluids or mechanics that 5 yrs of sitting might need some attention. BTW by no means is this used it is in showroom condition as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance. :D

Also check the fuel and water hoses for any signs of cracking, and I'd also change the coolant for fresh stuff as well.

How are the tyres? Any signs of cracking?

Find a good local M/C shop (does not have to be Yamaha, but it wouldn't hurt) Have them change all fliuids and give the bike a good looking over. As a newbe this could be money well spent .
Don't forget the most important part- good gear for you. HELMET, GLOVES, PANTS, JACKET AND BOOTS!

Find a good local M/C shop (does not have to be Yamaha, but it wouldn't hurt) Have them change all fliuids and give the bike a good looking over. As a newbe this could be money well spent .
Don't forget the most important part- good gear for you. HELMET, GLOVES, PANTS, JACKET AND BOOTS!

+1 in this case a reputable mechanic's opinion would be best

all good advice. Change all the fluids...you can do it yourself. It's pretty obvious when something is bad. Get good gear. Get frame sliders.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your price tag?
and naturally... :needpics:

Make sure they've done the two mandatory recalls, mainly replacing the TPS (throttle position sensor). Otherwise, the only thing I've done to my very low serial number 2004 FZ6 is change fluids, batteries, and tires. (well maybe not the only thing... see my signature for potential mods).

Regardless, it still runs like a top. I checked out four twins at Daytona BikeWeek demos: Ducati Multistrada, Apprilla Shiver, BMW GS800, and Kawasaki Versys. All were nice rides, but not worth the price difference. Notably, I'd forgotten just how smooth and powerful the FZ6 remains.

have you done a write up on that highbeam garage door opener? That sounds pretty sweet. More info please!

I did a write-up some time ago on the SBN forum, but can't find it now. However, I found one on another forum after a Google search. I've attached it as a PDF, although I wish I could give the original author more credit. He used a Genie opener. I used a "Clicker" from Home Depot as it will support almost every type of opener. I've also attached a couple of pictures.

The trick is understanding that any garage door opener only sends a single signal, no matter how long you hold the switch down. Thus, when you trigger the opener using a 12v relay powered by the high-beam voltage, you only get one opener command. You'll have to switch to low beams and back to high to get a second command. Don't worry about your opener battery. I've only changed it once in five years.

Back