New with bike halp :)

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 07 FZ-6 with 7,2xx miles on it previous owner was second owner,

He said that the first owner had put new tires on right before he bought it well that was 2010 Feb ish at 6200 miles,

i have rode the piss out of it 5k miles since march love the thing to hell but never noticed that the main tread of the tire is now starting to square off ( if that is what it is called) , its no longer round like the chicken strips all in all.

The second owner put just over 1k miles i have put just under 5k and i can imagine the 1st owner buying it 07 ( Jan model bike ) 6k from 07 to 10 put 2k a year so 8k total on the tires is my estimate.

My main question is when do you get new ones ( i measured its 2.2m at the lowest point in the tread, and 4.2 on the highest groves <--towards the chicken strips)

i can answer more questions if you have any but when do i replace or what is a major sign to replace? Thank you for reading look forward to your opinions :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would default to new rubber. There are little wear indicators on the tire and I bet your past them.
What tire do you have on it now?

Interesting story. Today one of my neighbor pulls up on his TL 1000 and says he needs a new rear tire because the bike went squirrely on him this morning when he hit 90 MPH...:rolleyes: He got a lot of vibration and the bike went nuts.
I looked at the tread and he was way past replacement time but it still didn't sound right to me. I know he doesn't maintain his bike very well so I asked him when he last checked his tire pressure. Huh????? :confused: I ran into my house and got my gauge. Front was 36.5 psi. rear was 7 psi! :eek:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Twi= little flat things inside the tread groves? Still have tread till those I have 33 psi front 32 rear it's mostly cause I do 50 miles to work every day so 100 each day all highway...
Im running michilen pp2 really like the tire grabs really well but no experience on another tires tho

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the PR2's as well as prefer to keep them inflated at the higher end of spec's . IMHO, when these wear out, I'll be getting another set.

+1 as Cliff stated re replacing the tire.

If its visably squared off, a nice lean into a corner with some throttle will ruin your day, big time...

Its not cheap, but alot cheaper replacing fairngs, side pods, cases AND A TIRE, besides the "war wounds" you WON't have....

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the PR2's as well as prefer to keep them inflated at the higher end of spec's . IMHO, when these wear out, I'll be getting another set.

If its visably squared off, a nice lean into a corner with some throttle will ruin your day, big time...

Its not cheap, but alot cheaper replacing fairngs, side pods, cases AND A TIRE, besides the "war wounds" you WON't have....

as im now doing hahahaha so funny read this a couple days too late lol:BLAA:
Gravity hurts and some people only learn one way :p

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a friggin staple in the rear tire in which half of it made it to the inside :( just off center...

Put a sticky plug in to keep air it until I get a new tire. Very simple plug install and DOES NOT LEAK.

I may combo plug/patch the tire and keep as a spare..

About 7,500 miles on the tire, just starting to square off but plenty of miles left in the tire. The new tire will be in tomorrow...

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I
About 7,500 miles on the tire, just starting to square off but plenty of miles left in the tire. The new tire will be in tomorrow...

Does any amount of squaring of mean REPLACE Now? Because i do 100 miles a day highway and not to much turning would that have a huge factor ? And mean i need to replace tires more often?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
it affects handling, i'd go for a set of sport-touring tyres next which will have a harder compound in the middle to help prevent squaring off

i've done a trackday on a pretty knackered set of squared off tyres, tipping into the corners was interesting to say the least :eek:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Gelvatron,

The Michelin PR2's are a combo sport/tourer tire.

I've had Bridgestones on my FJR and were not happy with them at all (although the extra HP and torque at lower RPM's doesn'r help with tire wear). The tire sizes between the FJR and FZ are exactly the same. I would go thru a rear Bridgestone tire on the FJR within 6,000 miles.

With the FZ and the PR2, it isn't half worn at just over 7,000 miles. As for squaring off from mostly straight riding (like in Florida), should you lean and ride aggressivly into a corner, the contact area of the tire is now riding on that sqared off corner (less contact area) and thus, not as much traction.. Add in a white line painted on the road and of course its even worse.

I don't have any chicken strips on the front or back so I'm not taking any chances with it...

If you do mostly NO leaning and Not much hard riding, the squared off tire won't make much of a difference. Look at most Harleys, you physically cannot lean them nearly as far as the FZ (not designed to) and you'll see on an older tire, its pretty squared off.

So to answer your question, if your mostly highway, not much, if any leaning, I'd run the tire down to the wear bars. I suspect you'll see close to 12-15,000 miles with these tires (their my first set).

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd also point out that tread becomes important in the wet, grip levels are substantially reduced once it gets below around 2-3mm

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd also point out that tread becomes important in the wet, grip levels are substantially reduced once it gets below around 2-3mm

Are you talking about the grooves that redirect the water? That have almost 3mm left I'm not at the twi yet but it's squaring off I think if I go on a nice
Weekend ride I should swap that's what I'm understanding thanks for your input guys

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

sorry to bring up old thread but your right, i definitely put that off now i am doing body work >.<

i am going to do some homework, between BT-23 pr2 and Metzeler since those all have good support here. (I am almost certain they are all top tier tires and will be all close to each other statisticly and will preform the same) I guess best price wins it :BLAA:

If anyone has any recommendations where to look for a set online let me know please.

i do 100 miles round trip daily on the highway so i am thinking i should stick with a proper touring tire.

Thanks for the help again

.: Motorcycle Tire Tips | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

was reading above felt it was very informational especially with all the other tire threads popping up the last week or so.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my rear tire, Is it too squared off ?:confused:

As long as the tire isn't too old and you are above the wear indicators, you have some life left in it. Age has a lot to do with the compounds in a tire that give it traction. It's a little squared off but I've seen worse.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the tire isn't too old and you are above the wear indicators, you have some life left in it. Age has a lot to do with the compounds in a tire that give it traction. It's a little squared off but I've seen worse.

I don't know if its lack of confidence from that fall or if its just paranoia but i swear i feel it when i go into a corner i just don't like hitting the floor and im not 100% if my rear wheel is 100% lined up with the front wheel going to read the string method again and to preform it ><

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my rear tire, Is it too squared off ?:confused:

As noted above, I just replaced my rear PRII. Its wasn't quite as squared as yours wkith about 7,500 miles on it. I would have kept it on a bit longer short of that damn staple... I would have kept it another 2500 miles here in the flats of Florida....

Also to keep in mind, the more worn the tire, the thinner it is AND the easier it is get a puncture. If the staple that got me was in the new tire, it wouldn't have made it to the inside, it was that close....

My tire guy (whom is the ONLY ONE I trust to change out tires) said it was about 2/3's worn... I've seen tires in his shop with the friggin cord sticking out the middle!!

I had Bridgestones on my FJR (which isn't a really fair comparison- 50 more HP, more weight/torque) but they didn't hold up nearly as much as the PR's, even the front tire. IMHO, I love the PRII's on the FZ.

BTW, I heard the PRIII's have a yet a Harder compound down the middle than the II's but don't know if its true. I still have in the back of my mind the PRIII tire coming apart (possibly due to heat, maintainance, ???)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would default to new rubber. There are little wear indicators on the tire and I bet your past them.
What tire do you have on it now?

Interesting story. Today one of my neighbor pulls up on his TL 1000 and says he needs a new rear tire because the bike went squirrely on him this morning when he hit 90 MPH...:rolleyes: He got a lot of vibration and the bike went nuts.
I looked at the tread and he was way past replacement time but it still didn't sound right to me. I know he doesn't maintain his bike very well so I asked him when he last checked his tire pressure. Huh????? :confused: I ran into my house and got my gauge. Front was 36.5 psi. rear was 7 psi! :eek:
The widow maker with a flat tyre, your friend is nuts...
Nelly