New to it all...

Skid Marc

Skid Marc
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to my bike, new to the site, and new to posting. My apologies in advance for any faux pas. My question has to do with the throttle on my four year old FZ6S (new to me). It seems very sensitive and though I am getting better, I still sometimes have a heck of a time getting it smooth. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love the name.:D :welcome::welcome::welcome: The throttle is a little sensitive. I just got used to it. Practice makes perfect.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
well my 2007 FZ6 is my very first bike, so I can't really compare to other bikes. I've ridden a few others (FZ1, Kawa VN900, Yamaha MT-01) and I always was very careful and gentle to them.

From what I've read, Yamaha struggled a bit with the fuel injection when they first started using it on their bikes, and all the early models kinda suffer from it. One of the main reasons why I bought a 2007 Fizzer, is because the FI was reportedly much better. Before, they all had a very strong "on / off" behaviour.

But like Jman said, practice makes perfect. Every bike has it's own character.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I came from other type bikes & this throttle is very sensitive! Although I didn't have any problems at all since it's not my first bike, but this is definitely a responsive bike (throttle).
Just be careful & like the above: practice, practice practice.

Skid Marc

Skid Marc
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I am very happy to practice practice... I ride as much as I can, and use the bike as my daily commuter here in Singapore. I am getting more comfortable every day and and discovering more about the bike too. I had been taking it pretty easy, as it has been 30 years since last I rode. I am am from Canada and they drive on the other side of the road here too. Add the manic traffic, and I trust I can be forgiven for not seeing much of the high side of 6500 rpm yet. The discussions I read in the forum last night about powerband though made me give the 8000 to 8500 thing a try today. Gotta like that!!

I

inkrediboy

On top of practice practice, practice

One good method to account for touchy throttle and bike control is to keep your weight off your arms and wrist. Leaning forward on your arms will have a big time negative effect when force is pushed onto your throttle by accident. You wrists should be free from supporting your upper body and only used for controling your steering, and throttle engagement. Keep your center of control in your back and stomach and maintain your balance point, your mid section will become stronger and you will get it down after time. Your arms and wrists should "float"

Also, use your clutch as a mediator - there is a lot to be said about the "Friction Zone" that the MSF course teaches. Balance out over input (touchiness) on the throttle by pulling in your clutch when needed. Find the right point where the rear wheel engages and balance the throttle pull and clutch lever engagement.

Also - practice low speed manuvering in the parking lot in 1st and 2nd gear, and get that clutch throttle zone down, this will help immensely at all speeds and teach you where and when the bike wants to lurch forward.

INK

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the fuel injection is more touchy than an old carb is on throttle response. What is your idle set to? I found on mine that if I left it too low, it magnified the jerky on-off feel of the throttle.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, throttle on the first gen (06 and under) FZ6's was a lot more... unstable shall we say? I rode both before opting on the 07, the 06 was cheaper, but the fuel injection is much smoother on the newer ones. Keep practicing, and if you can not stand it, try a few after market fixes.

Also, welcome to the forums! :welcome:

I

inkrediboy

I know with the old carb style bikes (my last roadstar yammie 1600 cc) was controllable with a simple knob turn. Idle was very temperature dependant. Ease of a carb and jet setup are good, but more disadvantages including lower fuel economy, and not as effective power delivery in varying situations and RPM power bands. Getting used to the R1's immediate power and blip on response was an eye opener from that previous torque beast. In the FZ - Idle control with fuel injection is mainly controlled by the (computer) ECU and not quite adjustable. I'm not a tuner by any means, I assume this can be mapped with an aftermarket power commander device to a higher value if needed but with more experience on the bike, you will find this is counter productive to what you really will want. IMMEDIATE POWER ON TAP.

Remember engine firing due to spark plug condition and air filter clean circulation can have an altering effect on this condition. Also, with the FZ6 I assume you can also get into diagnostic modes with your cluster and check the throttle body position in the open and closed positions digitally. Adjust if needed. Remember the bike will constantly adjust accordingly to where the ECU sees where the idle should sit, so make sure your default closed settings are accurate.

Last I remember, I idle at between 1000 and 1200k and find it a perfect value. Practice, practice and practice. Remember the friction zone I spoke about - and idle speed will not be a concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

sPin0011

Just a bloke
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the fuel injection is more touchy than an old carb is on throttle response. What is your idle set to? I found on mine that if I left it too low, it magnified the jerky on-off feel of the throttle.

+1 on the idle. As mentioned in other post chain tension makes a huge difference also.