New to FZ6's, show me the way around here.

dirtbiker1410

That Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Well guys and gals I've been looking at getting an FZ6 for a while now and I finally found one that's in my range. It's a one owner 2008 with 2800 miles, all black with smoked windshield and a cover too. It was an older gentleman's bike so it should be in pristine condition by the way he's describing it. I've raced dirtbikes off road for the last 6 years and I'm a solid B-rider when it comes to that. 2 years ago I bought a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 400 and rode that for a year then sold it to a friend. I think I've got a solid handle on the experience part but I realize riding on the street is still a lot different from riding in the dirt.
Anyways, I'm going to look at it early this week so what kinds of things should I look for, anything I should be weary of? Asking price is $4200 and to me that seems pretty fair considering the amount of time it has on it, age, price compared to new, etc. What kinds of add-ons are the norm around here? I planned on getting some frame sliders but aside from that I wouldn't know what else I might need. I guess I would just have to ride it some and get a feel for it, get some miles on it and then make adjustments from there. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but you guys will bring up the big ideas and improvements that are usually undertaken. Thanks in advance!!!

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum! You've found the right place to ask anything FZ6-related.

These are some good questions; I'll answer what I can.

With the bike being a 2008, it doesn't have any of the TPS issues of the previous generation FZ6, so the best thing to do is look for basic maintenance things.

How does the chain look? What condition are the tires in? Does it have any signs of being wrecked? (scratches, dents, etc.)

Take a test ride if you can; then you can check other things. Are the brakes working correctly? Does the throttle feel responsive? One fairly common issue on all FZ6s is the steering head bearing. If it's going bad, the steering would feel clunky or wobbly if you hit a bump. The steering wouldn't be very smooth if the bearings are bad.

Basically, you just want to make sure everything is in good mechanical condition. Considering the age of this bike, everything is probably still in very good condition. I know my 08 FZ is in perfect mechanical condition, even though I've had a few offs.

The modding you do to the bike is going to boil down to your personal preference. Are you going to be using the bike to do some light touring, or do you want a naked bike? There are endless mods that you could do to the FZ6. If you don't like the handlebar position, you could get handlebar risers, or for a more agressive bike, you could install clip-ons. Do you want a more comfortable ride? You could get an aftermarket seat or a taller windscreen to help with wind noise/buffeting.

It's a very good idea to get frame sliders. I have dropped my bike on both sides, and the frame sliders saved the bike both times. I have no damage to the frame at all, no damage to my belly pan, and only very slight damage to the gas tank on my most recent accident. I have the T-Rex sliders, and I stand behind them 110%, but there are plenty of other options for frame sliders, too.

Even though you've had previous experience w/ dirt and another street bike, I would still be careful with the FZ6. It has plenty of power and acceleration, and more than enough to get you into a lot of trouble if you aren't careful. Take it easy until you feel more comfortable with how it handles, etc. Ride your own ride, and have fun! :D

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! When I used to switch back and forth between asphalt and dirt, the primary thing I had to watch was where I focused when I rode. As you know, on the dirt you largely watch right in front of your wheel and on the hard stuff you have to watch way out there as well. Be careful, good luck, and congrats on the new ride!

ZaGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
A Maxim 400 you say :)
(see avatar)

If you beat me to a FZ let me kown how you feel the transition was...
I'm looking at a used 04 at a local shop but also eye balling SV650's as well....
My bottom line is waiting for some financial issues to be wrapped up before I can purchase anything after that, it will be timing/opportunity.

dirtbiker1410

That Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
I planned on checking the regular wear items, chain/sprockets, tires, pads and the like. Its never been layed down and he says there isn't a scratch on it so we'll see about that. I'll keep an eye out for the steering bearing play.
I've ridden a handful of streetbikes, the biggest being a Kawi 1100 naked bike and that thing had some torque but I'm a revver and like to ride on the pipe(in two stroke terms lol).

I plan on using it for some light touring and and mainly just play riding, back and forth to school and work if weather permits. I'm a taller guy, 6'3"ish and about 155 lbs so the bar riser idea may be in the works. Coming from a dirtbike background I like the idea of a more upright riding position so flatter bars may also be on the list. I like the fairings as they are now but may look into a full fairing kit in the future if the funds permit that. After riding the Maxim for a little while without any wind protection I like the windscreen and as of right now I'm not too big on the naked look yet, but it may grow on me, who knows.

I'm uber excited to be getting back into the street scene and I've really fallen in love with the FZ6. I've yet to ride one yet but a test ride should be possible if the guy is really serious about selling it. I like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I do all my own maintainance and I've begun to get a pretty good feel for what to look out for when purchasing dirtbikes and most of that transfers over to this as well.

Here's a pic of the ol' Maxim for ya Ghost.
100_0181.jpg

ZaGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that was a clean looking baby Max...... :)

My old girl sat in pieces in the PO's basement for 7 years hehe

dirtbiker1410

That Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I went and checked it out today, everything is tight and works as it should. It's got 2200 miles instead of 2800. Man I can't wait until later this week when I can go pick it up. Here's a teaser pic for the meantime :thumbup:
28418_1484253192601_1422000081_3129.jpg

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I went and checked it out today, everything is tight and works as it should. It's got 2200 miles instead of 2800. Man I can't wait until later this week when I can go pick it up. Here's a teaser pic for the meantime :thumbup:

Looks great! Good luck with the sale!

dirtbiker1410

That Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be on here a lot gathering loads of info, whenever I'm not out tearing it up. How many miles do you usually get out of a set of chain and sprockets? Stock gearing felt pretty good when I rode it but I'll need some time on it before I can really get a feel for it.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't had to replace mine yet, but from what I understand, you can usually get around 20k miles out of the stock chain/sprockets.

dirtbiker1410

That Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I noticed when I was looking at it is that they have Brembo master cylinders but use Nissin calipers, why dont they use the whole Brembo setup, too touchy?

ChewyChews

Reaction score
Visit site
Lovely bike. I am getting one just like yours; mine is an Oct 2008 model with only 4,500 miles done by a very careful rider. Congrats on your buy!

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site

Looks good!

Was I you I would get rid of those stock tires first thing, looks like it's got the crapastic dunlop 252s they put on em from the factory