New to FZ6 Forum, Raptor 350 Rider, Harley Rider

Rocky01

Reaction score
Visit site
Yo everyone,

I'm looking to go back to street riding. I currently have an '89 HD 883 Sportster which I put 41,000 miles on her. I'm looking for a more reliable ride (Sometimes the HD gives me problems away from home) so I can do some overnight rides and get back into country riding.

I have spoken to my Yamaha Dealer and he suggested the FZ6 or FZ1.
I'm looking for seating position almost like the Sportster or more upright.
As much as I like the R6S, the dealer suggested the FZ bikes so I could ride longer distances. I'm currently getting over some back issues.

Would anyone in this forum who has made a similar transition give me their $0.02 on riding position and comfort. Also,:confused: what type of bags you might have on your ride. The 2008 FZ6 has the exhaust under the passenger seat. I wouldn't know if I could put some saddle bags on her to do an overnight.

Rocky

PM HavBlue or SportriderFZ6. They will be able to compare for you. I think HavBlue still has his sporty as well.

Yes you can put saddle bags on and have no problems.

Another thing that will help you, (I believe) is the SW Motech 1" back and 1" up bar risers. I have them on my bike now and they make it even more comfortable.

You will like the FZ6 or the FZ1. The 600 has plenty of power though, the only reason I would go with the one is the upgraded suspension. Even then when you put them next to each other the 6 looks better.

Welcome aboard Rocky. I'm actually on my 3rd Sporty now and have the 2004 model FZ6. I'm also a switch rider (read as I love dirt toys too). The Sporty is a stage 1 2004 1200 Roadster with the 2002S suspension and the 2006 4.5 gallon tank and Badlander leather from the C model. What you are looking at are two very capable bikes in my case and I love them both for there respective capabilities. Either is good for the long haul.

The FZ6 ergos are very neutral compared to the RR models but you will find a slight weight forward ride position where the Sporty is weight rear with the forward controls. The Sporty is generally for a laid back ride where I find the FZ6 has the need for speed as it's a high strung rev machine yet it will do well in the commute mode. Some folks complain about the seat being a pain but I love mine and it suits me quite well for a 300 mile day run. You'll find the clutch friction zone on the FZ6 to be opposite the Sporty as one is closer to the grip and the other (FZ6) at the outer end of the travel. The Sporty has much more snap off the line but this is where it ends. Beyond that, the FZ6 is a lean mean fighting machine and with an experienced rider in the saddle will surprise folks for certain. Used in their respective purpose, I wouldn't trade either of them and I have been extremely pleased with them both after buying them a month apart in 2004 and having had few if any real issues.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

Yo HavBlu

Thanks for the ridn comparison between the sporty and FZ6. This is what I'm lookin for.... Glad to read that the cluth on the FZ6 catches closer to the grip than the sportster... I'll remember that when I get to ride one (or my yet to be introduced to new ride). I thought that the FZ would have more power off the line than the sporty....

Cool that you can do a 300 mile run in one day! (I once did a 500 mile run from NY to Buzzard's Bay MA and back.. in one day not an overnight... but I've got a Mustang seat on the Sporty... only problem is small gas tank).

Rocky

Its easy to read things wrong on here. I do it all the time.

What HavBlue was saying is that on the FZ the clutch ingages out at the end of lever travel. It takes some getting used to.

Yo Writeme43,

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. Could not the clutch be adjusted though to grab sooner?

Some yes but to the point it mimics the Sporty clutch, no. By the time you get it anywhere near the grip it will be way out of adjustment. You'll get used to it, trust me.....

Another thing that will help you, (I believe) is the SW Motech 1" back and 1" up bar risers.

Sorry for the thread jack, but do you have some sourcing/part# for the 1 up 1 back?

Edit: Never mind.....Used the search feature (duh??) and found everything I needed and it's now on the Brown truck headed my way!!!

Last edited:
Back