new to board unique fz6

darcswarm

Reaction score
Visit site
names chris...id post this in the new member area but i have a question too...i bought a 2005 fz6 from a honda dealership...people had no clue what they had...5 grand and only 8k miles on it. had scorpion exaust/power commander installed and working/custom strobing tail light/smoked front sheild/flush mount turn signals and fender eliminator. I just added a complete front fairing. now heres the kicker....its a 5 speed...every dealership ive been to say its supposed to be a 6 speed as well as my manual and every site ive been too....im on here trying to figure out why a person would downgrade from a 6 spd to a 5spd and what benifits would come of it. bike sits lower then stock as well.

W

wrightme43

Are you sure?

1 down, 5 up is all I have ever heard of. I may be wrong though.

darcswarm

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure?

1 down, 5 up is all I have ever heard of. I may be wrong though.

i even had it checked out at the local superbike shop and they said theres nothing wrong with it either...1 down 4 up on mine and the ones at the shop were 1 down 5 up..they even had a 05 sitting there that we compared it too....ill go back and see if i can get pics of em next to each other if they still have it..you can notice mines lower

p.s. i added pics in the gallery..dont know how to link them here but there in the reg bike section

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Mate,

There was not a 5 speed box as standard. Like Danny has said check the crank case. If it was a custom job did the bike come with any receipts?
What speed will it reach top end (please do this in a safe manner)?
Can you check previous owners to see if you can track down the previous owners to ask them?

Good luck with it, sounds like all the major mods have been carried out for you.

Nelly

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Does 6th gear ever stop engaging on these bikes? It might be the reason it was sold to start with. I'd have a first-hand look at the internal gears before I assume there isn't a 6th gear.

dynamo-acl

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the somewhere in the customization the last owner has either changed the gearbox or

some part of the customization is cozzing the bike not to hit 6th gear, like the lowering

a dealer over here would not entertain a bike that is not near standard so looks like the honda dealer took the bike, for cheap, knowing the custom mods and was selling it cheap

does not mean theres anything wrong with it just they dont really know whats been done

some dealers here wont even take a bike with a non standard can or tailtidy

my local honda dealer took my bike, took the tankpad off it and painted the polished wheels, and ive spoke to others who say the same dealer took pc's off etc. they just want them standard for selling

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Welcome aboard Chris! How do you like your Fizzer so far? I've never heard of a 5-speed on an FZ6, either. If you had said "FZR1300", well, it's standard on that.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the FZ never came with a 6 speed, so i would bring it to a Yamaha specific shop and have them look at it and if they "find" 6th gear by some tranny problem then you would have recourse on the Honda dealer for selling you a "broken" bike and not disclosing it. Like others have said, if it isn't custom then it isn't the way it is supposed to be.

I also do not think anyone on here has ever even considered getting rid of a gear...

darcswarm

Reaction score
Visit site
i had a yamaha dealer look at it and they said nothing is wrong with it" didnt tell me if its moded just said strait up nothing is wrong with it... Im goin gback next week and ill let you guys know more info on it ive hit 120 mph so far in it but im still new so im not lookin to push it to high just yet

what is the top speed on these bikes stock wise...i have no info on the previous owner cept that he went into the army

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
i had a yamaha dealer look at it and they said nothing is wrong with it" didnt tell me if its moded just said strait up nothing is wrong with it... Im goin gback next week and ill let you guys know more info on it ive hit 120 mph so far in it but im still new so im not lookin to push it to high just yet

what is the top speed on these bikes stock wise...i have no info on the previous owner cept that he went into the army

... but there is something wrong with it. FZ6 have a 6 speed transmissions... Looks like you lost top gear......... Take it to a Yamaha dealer who will see it as a problem.....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
... but there is something wrong with it. FZ6 have a 6 speed transmissions... Looks like you lost top gear......... Take it to a Yamaha dealer who will see it as a problem.....

Next time you are out pay attention to the RPM's in top gear at a certain speed (AKA 5000 at 60 mp/h), we can compare with ours and see if the top gear is the same as our 6th or our 5th...

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. Congrats on the bike. Can't wait to see the RPM readings.... I'm on the edge of my seat.

(A discussion of 5-speed fazers and nobody has busted my chops yet.... you're too kind!!! :rockon:)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You've got a jacked up transmission, get it checked out.

Oh, Welcome! :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

TS is 150mph, 13,700 rpms in 6th.

darcswarm

Reaction score
Visit site
watermark.php
watermark.php

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i cannot understand how a yamaha dealership checks a 5 speed fz6 and says that there is nothing wrong with it :D yamaha should cancel their license to service