New Tire on FZ6, 190???

no1GhostFL

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a flat last night and theres a nice pretty nail sticking out of the center line. I was recently thinking about what it would be like with a 190 tire on the back, and now that I'm forced into this position today might be the day. Can I get some feedback from anyone here with an fz6 with the 190 on the back? As far as handling, speed, etc.

Thanks a ton guys!

-B

I'm pretty sure there is an extensive discussion about that in a thread around here somewhere. Can't find it right off hand. I'm pretty sure the consensus was don't do it, unless you really want to. The conversation was pretty in depth from what I remember and what I took from it was that a 180 handles better. Especially on our width of rim.

Good luck!

...from what I remember and what I took from it was that a 180 handles better. Especially on our width of rim.

Agreed. Most people that have done this have done so for looks more than anything. Yamaha (as well as any bike manufacturer) puts a lot of research into the right tire/wheel combo for any given bike.

More info here.

Most pertinent quote from the above linked article:

Those low-profile 190-series tires sure look gnarly on the back of a sportbike, and we've seen them pinched onto all sizes of rims. But in reality, a 190/50-17 fits properly only on a 6.0-inch rim, and cramming it onto anything smaller severely changes its profile.

Unless you want looks over performance, don't bother!

Last edited:
my buddy put a 190 on his 05 fz6 and in stock form was not able to lay the bike over far enough, therefore he had huge chicken strips. Basically with an fz6 stock form its a waste of money

the idea of pulling a rim off an fz1 and fitting it to the fz6 was discussed before also, though i dont know the discussion turned out. The fz1 sports a 190 tire. If you go with a 180 tire that is more u shaped than v shaped in profile, it gives the appearance of a wider tire. Both of these are 180's and look completely different. Something to consider at least if you want that wider tire look.

Have you consider if there would be any implication for your insurance ?

I have had to mention every modification that took my bike away from standard (even though my mods don't increase my insurance premium).

So is there a risk that if you totalled your bike and hadn't told your insurers that you've put a wider tyre on and they spot this when assessing the bike for any repairs , they may say you have invalidated your insurance cover as the tyres are not the size as specified for the bike.

Just a thought . . . . .

Have you consider if there would be any implication for your insurance ?

I have had to mention every modification that took my bike away from standard (even though my mods don't increase my insurance premium).

So is there a risk that if you totalled your bike and hadn't told your insurers that you've put a wider tyre on and they spot this when assessing the bike for any repairs , they may say you have invalidated your insurance cover as the tyres are not the size as specified for the bike.

Just a thought . . . . .

This is a very good point, It would all depend on much the insurance company looked into it... But to be honest, your not talking that much wider....... only a few millimeters.....

Back