New Scorpions

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Well me and my buddy (if you're reading this, thanks brad!) replaced my stock exhaust with a pair of scorpions. They went on in under an hour and a half, and went fairly smoothly (with the exception of a stripped clamp, and the fender's mounting bracket which is welded to the stock exhaust.)

I ended up replacing the stripped clamp and constructing my own fender bracket, which definitely needs to go. So...next step would be to fabricate a fender eliminator. I took a look and it seems very easy to make one out of L-brackets at Lowes....my only concern is how I will mount the turn signals.

I am in need of some constructive critisicm or some creative spunk here, any thoughts on how I can mount the stock turn signals to a new, less bulky, fender? Worst case scenario, I purchase new signals, or even a FE if need be. Thanks in advance and let me know what you guys think.

Anyway, here's out it all turned out:

View attachment 27837

View attachment 27838

View attachment 27840

View attachment 27839

I also made a short before and after comparison video on youtube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4kuZK_BeqU"]YouTube- Scorpion Exhaust vs Stock Yamaha Fz6[/ame]

Last edited:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Always wondered what my bike would look like with those, thx!:D Looks sweet, BTW.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks sweet, thanks for the pics.... Have you left the blue plastic on the hangers ?

Yes I have left the blue plastic on, to be honest, I didn't even know it was removable until I just read your question. I thought the blue hanger was somewhat of an eyesore as there is NO blue on my bike anywhere. Is it just like the plastic strip on the hanger for each can? Would you just cut it with say a razor?

Thats what i was thinking aswell :D...... You are gunna love the Scorps though , i know i do :rockon:

I already to love them. The bike feels 10 - 15lb lighter without that boulder of an exhaust weighing a ton. The sound alone as well is just pure bliss. Instead of cruising around at 6 or 7,000 RPM's just to hear the engine, you can keep it lower in the RPM'S and still hear and feel the power.

It actually has the opposite affect on me than I would've thought, I ride more moderately because the pipes are extremely loud and grab people's attention, cops included. I don't have to ride around in the powerband all the time, or she literally SCREAMS. It therefore makes me a safer, slower rider and even i noticed gets me 20 miles more per tank as a direct result!

2 thumbs up from me.

Welcome to the family ;)

And thank you man, it's a great feeling to not have that mickey mouse exhaust on there anymore. It almost brings out the balls the bike really has, but doesn't get credit for.

Post Script:

I am still trying to figure out how to mount the stock signals onto a custom fender eliminator. If anybody would have a diagram depicting how the signals fit into the stock fender, this could be very helpful. It appears that they just pop in, using a rubber "gasket" type male end that pops into the female hole in the stock fender. So if anybody has an ideas or even through personal experience, can think of a way to create a converter piece to mount them to an L bracket, please send these inspired ideas my way. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
Great exhaust, put mine on a couple of weeks ago. How are your temps looking? I have noticed mine are a little higher, not sure if that's normal or not?

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't really noticed much difference in the temperatures or horsepower. I don't really open it up too often, so I haven't gotten a good, clean, safe opportunity to do so for comparative purposes, but the temps stay well within the acceptable range...now if I was romping on it everywhere, it might be a different story.

I do notice the weight difference though. Cutting 20lb's off really makes it feel more nimble, whether thats true or not - I am unsure, but it does feels more graceful and light when cutting from one side to the other.

hapahaole

Reaction score
Visit site
For your rear turn signals, they have those little rubber necks, if you cut those off all that will be left is a little stud. I would assume you could drill a hole in the "L" bracket and put a nut on the other side to hole them in place. I hope that helps, and makes sense.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
For your rear turn signals, they have those little rubber necks, if you cut those off all that will be left is a little stud. I would assume you could drill a hole in the "L" bracket and put a nut on the other side to hole them in place. I hope that helps, and makes sense.

It absolutely does. All the "L" bracket is - is an L shaped metal piece with a hole on each face of the L.

And I'm glad you said that because my only concern was that I would rip off the fender, and get the signals off only to find out I cannot mount them. If all it is on the inside is a stud, that would work perfectly - especially if it's threaded.

If I can cut the rubber off then boo ya...I wasn't sure what was underneath though and didn't want to screw myself over. Thanks for the input and I'll let you know how it goes!

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I have left the blue plastic on, to be honest, I didn't even know it was removable until I just read your question. I thought the blue hanger was somewhat of an eyesore as there is NO blue on my bike anywhere. Is it just like the plastic strip on the hanger for each can? Would you just cut it with say a razor?

It should just peel off :thumbup: