New saddlebag bracket, voltmeter, & thermometer

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been busy today. I was able to finish up the new saddlebag bracket I was working on.
fwqgw4.jpg

It's made from 3/8 threaded rod. The two halves are joined in the middle with a....well....I don't really know what it's called. A union, maybe? Either way, the two halves screw together and the union allows me to independantly adjust the front and back width about an inch. This way I can fine tune the fit to make up for my not quite ideal fabrication process. Once all the bends were completed, and it actually fit:thumbup:, I covered the whole thing with some vinyl tubing to keep the threads from chewing up the back of my bags. I made this to replace the previous set I had shown HERE. I wanted something that would take some of the impact if the bike goes over and hopefully save the paint. I'll get some pictures of it on the bike once I get it mounted, tomorrow.

Next, I installed a digital voltmeter and thermometer.
fdynnt.jpg

These units are similar to the Datel voltmeter but they are half the price. I got them from cyclemax. Great experience with them. They actually answered the phone when I called. Answered every question I had about the product. Ordered on Friday afternoon and the package shipped the same day. I had originally planned to cut them into the fairing but decided against that as I tend to swap out bikes every couple of years. In the event that I decide to sell the bike, I don't want to have big holes in plastics. My next best option was this project box from radio shack. It is the perfect size for the gauges and it fits right between the risers. The box has an aluminum top that I just cut the holes and slid the gauges in. The box is attacted to the handle bar with two rubber lined clamps. Actually, they're the same kind holding the saddlebag bracket, but a little larger. They didn't have 7/8 so I made due with 3/4. Right now, I just have the box wired into my battery tender plug until I decide how I want to power it. This is temporary, so please ignore the wire nuts (if they show in the picture).

As you can tell in this next picture, winter is definitely over! This was at about 4pm with the temperature probe laying on the tank in the direct sunlight.
f42ue9.jpg

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job on the bracket and digital displays.

Next, I installed a digital voltmeter and thermometer.

These units are similar to the Datel voltmeter but they are half the price. I got them from cyclemax.

Would those be this voltmeter :
1800and1500_Mini_LED_DigitalVoltmeter_45-1405.JPG

and this thermometer?
thermometer.JPG

The box is attacted to the handle bar with two rubber lined clamps. Actually, they're the same kind holding the saddlebag bracket, but a little larger.

Where did you get those rubber lined clamps?

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like that gauge box. very nice

Thanks. For $2.50, I have no complaints.

Got the saddlebag bracket installed today.
2qiz3t1.jpg

34h6l4o.jpg

I'm going to have to remove some of the tubing from the bar where it crosses underneath the muffler. It's just barely touching and I'm afraid it'll melt and make a smelly mess.

Rhadamygg

Reaction score
Visit site
If any of you can share part numbers and websites on where to get these items (links preferred) it would be great.

RhadamYgg

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
If any of you can share part numbers and websites on where to get these items (links preferred) it would be great.

RhadamYgg

Links to the voltmeter and thermometer are provided in my post above, but here they are again:
voltmeter: Cyclemax, The place to get discount aftermarket Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories!! - Mini LED Digital Voltmeter

thermometer: Cyclemax, The place to get discount aftermarket Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories!! - Mini LED Digital Thermometer

Project enclosure:
Project Enclosure (3x2x1") - RadioShack.com

The rubber lined clamps can be found at Lowes in those drawers of all sorts of special nuts, bolts, etc.

Hope this helps.

katkins

Reaction score
Visit site
The rubber lined clamps can be found at Lowes in those drawers of all sorts of special nuts, bolts, etc.

Hope this helps.

OK, a year out, have you had any troubles with those saddlebag bars?

I'm leary about your clamps and the consequences of failure of them. The former owner of a recumbent tricycle (non-motorized) I have had clamped accessories onto the trike with similar clamps, and I had some failtures where bits fell off when I hit bumps -- fatique... and that was just doing bicycle riding type hours and stresses...