New rider in the family

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
My daughter's boyfriend took the MSF course last October. He's been acquiring gear and finally a bike. To my great surprise, he purchased a 2009 FZ6r. He took his first ride with us today. He did really well. I gave him David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" book for Christmas. He's been reading and it showed. We took an easy ride on I-80 over Donner Summit. Then we came back Old Highway 40 which parrallels 80. Some additional back roads from Truckee and ended up back on I-80 headed back to Reno. Great little beginner ride.

My only fear is if something happens to him, guess who gets the blame.....me!(by my daughter).

I've invited him to join our forum. I hope to hear from him on here soon.View attachment 56129
There was 6 of us riding today. My hubby, two friends, our son, daughter's boyfriend, and me. As usual, I was the only female. lol

View attachment 56130

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
As a side note, what kind of bike is that second from the left?

I was wondering if someone was going ask that....
It's a two-stroke, 4-cylinder, and sounds amazing... I'm not sure of the year, but it's a Suzuki Gamma. He's done a lot of customizing of it. Had to rebuild the ignition system and fabricated parts himself because he couldn't get the right parts. He just rebuilt the clutch and this was it's first trip out. It worked well for our 100 mile trip.

From left to right the bikes are:
Honda VFR800
Suzuki Gamma
Suzuki GSXR600
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (mine:cheer:)
Yamaha FZ6r
Suzuki SV650s

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent!

How come your daughter isn't riding (along or with her own steed)?

She won't even ride on the back of her dad's bike and he's been riding for close to 30 years. She says "I'm not related to you people". Luckily, she is supportive of her boyfriend riding since he got the bug. When we had dirt bikes, my hubby would take him out and he enjoyed it. Now that the boyfriend graduated from college and is making good money I guess he decided it was time to buy a bike. He has a long commute for work, so he is thinking of riding. He's ridden twice so far. Unfortunately, we haven't been getting much winter weather (we could really use some snow/rain. Our lakes are at about 20% capacity and our snowpack is 25% of normal. Not looking good.) so it's made it possible for him to ride to work.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if someone was going ask that....
It's a two-stroke, 4-cylinder, and sounds amazing... I'm not sure of the year, but it's a Suzuki Gamma. He's done a lot of customizing of it. Had to rebuild the ignition system and fabricated parts himself because he couldn't get the right parts. He just rebuilt the clutch and this was it's first trip out. It worked well for our 100 mile trip.

From left to right the bikes are:
Honda VFR800
Suzuki Gamma
Suzuki GSXR600
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (mine:cheer:)
Yamaha FZ6r
Suzuki SV650s

Oh my lawd, it's a two-stroker? I bet that thing screams. I looked around at other Gammas on the interwebs and his is the best looking one I've seen. Really a great look bike and a well done project. I'm jealous!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
She won't even ride on the back of her dad's bike and he's been riding for close to 30 years. She says "I'm not related to you people". Luckily, she is supportive of her boyfriend riding since he got the bug. When we had dirt bikes, my hubby would take him out and he enjoyed it. Now that the boyfriend graduated from college and is making good money I guess he decided it was time to buy a bike. He has a long commute for work, so he is thinking of riding. He's ridden twice so far. Unfortunately, we haven't been getting much winter weather (we could really use some snow/rain. Our lakes are at about 20% capacity and our snowpack is 25% of normal. Not looking good.) so it's made it possible for him to ride to work.

I see, I knew there had to be a reasonable explanation! Well maybe she'll come around one day, when she finally wonders what the the big deal is!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure he'll do fine under your wing! :)

I agree! It's very important for new riders to have others who are more experienced, but yet responsible enough to help continue and develop their skills beyond what they learned during their class. They just need saddle time, it's best they do it with experienced riders.

However, make sure he swings by the range and show off his new ride to the Rider Coaches. Whether it's the actual coach who coached his class or not doesn't matter, it's always fun seeing graduates stop by showing off their ride seeing what your fellow rider coaches have put out on the streets.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I see, I knew there had to be a reasonable explanation! Well maybe she'll come around one day, when she finally wonders what the the big deal is!

Actually, she is such a clutz it's probably better she doesn't ride. Lol

My MFS instructor said if you get into frequent incidents in a car, it's probably better not to ride. I completely agree. She had two accidents in less than 3 weeks last year. (not both her fault - one she tapped a taxi at 5mph, but the taxi cab got our insurance for a whole new bumper ($1200) ugh!) She's a good driver, just not as attentive as she should be. So, as a mama I don't encourage her to ride. I know bad mom, but she doesn't really want to so who am I to encourage her differently. heehee

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh my lawd, it's a two-stroker? I bet that thing screams. I looked around at other Gammas on the interwebs and his is the best looking one I've seen. Really a great look bike and a well done project. I'm jealous!

It really does scream. It's a kick to ride behind. I usually take out my earplugs for part of the ride just to listen to it. He takes really good care of it. If you're ever in Reno, let me know and I'll see if we can set up a meet for you to check it out. It's a thing of beauty in person. Pictures don't do it justice. He has a cool Bimota too. Last summer he won Bike of the Night at a local watering hole our moto club goes to each week. Some pretty stiff competition there too.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought you all might enjoy another pic of the Gamma.
View attachment 56140

That is an absolutely awesome looking bike. I was actually reading an article comparing the Gamma 500 to Yamaha's offering of the time, the RD500. Both two-stroke, 4 cylinders. Both MotoGP replica bikes. And it looks like your friend has put some real thought and time into that bike. A steering damper was a big suggestion, and the suspension and brakes needed some upgrading too. It looks like he's done just that, and the bike really shines. I'd love to see it in person, and if I'm ever out in reno riding, I'll be sure to stop by.

That bike looks flawless, and I've already told my buddy, who's also into bikes, that we're going to restore/customize a Suzuki Gamma 500 and a Yamaha RD500 once we've got the cash and time. We both grew up riding two-stroke bikes and since that technology has pretty much left street riding, it will be a nice change of style to get back in the saddle on a bike you have to kick start! :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the extra picture, by the way!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is an absolutely awesome looking bike. I was actually reading an article comparing the Gamma 500 to Yamaha's offering of the time, the RD500. Both two-stroke, 4 cylinders. Both MotoGP replica bikes. ...

DROOL, DROOL, DROOL... :thumbup:

That bike looks flawless, and I've already told my buddy, who's also into bikes, that we're going to restore/customize a Suzuki Gamma 500 and a Yamaha RD500 once we've got the cash and time. We both grew up riding two-stroke bikes and since that technology has pretty much left street riding, it will be a nice change of style to get back in the saddle on a bike you have to kick start! :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the extra picture, by the way!

And thus begins the sad (frustrating) story of another vintage bike addiction... :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

My MFS instructor said if you get into frequent incidents in a car, it's probably better not to ride. I completely agree. She had two accidents in less than 3 weeks last year. (not both her fault - one she tapped a taxi at 5mph, but the taxi cab got our insurance for a whole new bumper ($1200) ugh!) She's a good driver, just not as attentive as she should be. So, as a mama I don't encourage her to ride. I know bad mom, but she doesn't really want to so who am I to encourage her differently. heehee

Yup, that's part of the material that is covered, motorcycling is not for everyone, especially if you are accident prone. I always liked to illustrate that if you're one of those persons who always has bad luck and have this dark cloud hovering over your head, maybe taking up motorcycling is not the best decision.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I understand, I've had three [car] accidents in my life and all three were kind of preventable...but I've learned my lesson. Luckily that hasn't translated to my riding, whereas my friend who's had many different accidents, has fallen and dropped my old (his current) bike a couple times because he doesn't know his limits.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought you all might enjoy another pic of the Gamma.
View attachment 56140

I rode once 20 years ago, Yamaha 125cc 2 strokes!..and the acceleration was none 4-stroke compare to it seriously! The scary part that I rode it without helmet, no gear at all, just t-shirt, regular pant, sandle (I was HS student during that time..in the country that everyone rides scooter, motorcycle to do everything in their daily activities)

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode once 20 years ago, Yamaha 125cc 2 strokes!..and the acceleration was none 4-stroke compare to it seriously! The scary part that I rode it without helmet, no gear at all, just t-shirt, regular pant, sandle (I was HS student during that time..in the country that everyone rides scooter, motorcycle to do everything in their daily activities)
Something more like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCpMYNUszU