Gotta ride with VegasRider today

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny and I met up on a group ride today. It was fun. Perfect weather. Kenny was on his Duc. He even let my hubby ride it. How did you like his VFR800?

Up and over Geiger Grade and then down the truck route.
In to Carson City on Highway 50.
Then to Markleeville and up and over Monitor Pass. Just opened for the season. The nice people at CalTrans laid down a bunch of tar snakes. :spank::spank::spank:
Back over Monitor Pass because once just isn't enough.
Round about way up and over Kingsbury grade to Lake Tahoe. Beautiful but the traffic sucks.
Lunch at Burger Lounge. You got to go here if you are ever in South Lake Tahoe for lunch. Excellent milkshakes.
We then headed Up the West Shore of Lake Tahoe.
Hung a left at Tahoe City headed towards Truckee. The bikes got a bit of a wash on this route. Luckily we air dried fairly quickly.
Took the super slab (I-80) back to Reno. 7 hours 220 miles.

All in all a good ride for the first one of the season.
Now if Kenny will just tell me again all those good routes he was talking about in Idaho for my trip coming up....

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You forgot to put in the pictures!?!?!?! :spank:

Glad someone here is able to ride...our weather hasn't been the most cooperative.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a couple. We didn't stop too many times to take pics.

2016-05-15 12.18.52.jpg

In order left to right: My hubby's silver 2005 Honda VFR800, VegasRider's Duc Multistrada, My Sprint ST, and our friend's brand new out of the box 'busa. Beautiful bike. BTW, my friend is 71 years old. He rides that thing like a 20 year old. Cool guy! Ran 12 miles before our ride today. I can only hope to be in that good of shape at 70+.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It was a great turnout, around 9 riders. 3 Ducati's, Honda, Triumph, KTM, Suzuki, BMW, and a Kawi. No Yamaha to be seen.:spank:

Here we are at the bottom of Monitor Pass, all discussing what an outstanding run it was. It was the first time I got to watch my bike be ridden going through the twisties. The VFR was so smooth and quiet, once again, a great Japanese bike. Being an 800, it took a bit of goosing the throttle to really move, kind of like the FZ so I was use to it.

20160515_115502_zpsqhmscvdc.jpg

The Sierra's still has quite a bit of snow on the mountains, the waterfalls are starting to gush, and some of the roads are still not open because of all the snow! So the scenery is majestic. Like Monica mentioned, really didn't stop too much for photo's.

f95d79b0-5e6a-4ea1-ab59-0bc909cf00e3_zpsjchbuvsl.jpg

Monica, as far as some suggestions for your trip, I'll PM you once I had an opportunity to look at the map, you mentioned Idaho, LoLo, Glacier and Lake Louise, I've ridden through most of those areas. For starter, you must stay in downtown Banff! Probably a bit pricey but it's a lot of fun, well worth it in my opinion. Type of town where you can just walk up and down through town, eat and drink. At least the exchange rate will be in your favor, so maybe the price won't be too bad.

P1000965.jpg

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Great, I already now have missed yet another nearby fun group ride. I will definitely sign up for one of these upcoming rides if I can. Maybe SoCal, too. Tis the season you know...

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Great, I already now have missed yet another nearby fun group ride. I will definitely sign up for one of these upcoming rides if I can. Maybe SoCal, too. Tis the season you know...

The next possible ride we would go on is June 12. I'm not sure the route planned. I'll post it up as soon as I know. Kenny hasn't done Bucks Lake Rd yet, we have to take him on it this season! We should invite RedWazp too. We start in Reno, but that doesn't mean we couldn't meet you guys somewhere on the route.

It was a fun group. I enjoyed following the Monster. That snap, crackle, pop, and growl was amazing. That never gets old.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
It was a great turnout, around 9 riders. 3 Ducati's, Honda, Triumph, KTM, Suzuki, BMW, and a Kawi. No Yamaha to be seen.:spank:

Here we are at the bottom of Monitor Pass, all discussing what an outstanding run it was. It was the first time I got to watch my bike be ridden going through the twisties. The VFR was so smooth and quiet, once again, a great Japanese bike. Being an 800, it took a bit of goosing the throttle to really move, kind of like the FZ so I was use to it.

20160515_115502_zpsqhmscvdc.jpg

The Sierra's still has quite a bit of snow on the mountains, the waterfalls are starting to gush, and some of the roads are still not open because of all the snow! So the scenery is majestic. Like Monica mentioned, really didn't stop too much for photo's.

f95d79b0-5e6a-4ea1-ab59-0bc909cf00e3_zpsjchbuvsl.jpg

Monica, as far as some suggestions for your trip, I'll PM you once I had an opportunity to look at the map, you mentioned Idaho, LoLo, Glacier and Lake Louise, I've ridden through most of those areas. For starter, you must stay in downtown Banff! Probably a bit pricey but it's a lot of fun, well worth it in my opinion. Type of town where you can just walk up and down through town, eat and drink. At least the exchange rate will be in your favor, so maybe the price won't be too bad.

P1000965.jpg

Thanks Kenny! I'll be looking forward to that info. Anyone else have some good roads in Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, Idaho, Montana, or Alberta? We are heading towards Lake Louise/Banff then to Glacier Park then back to Reno. We have 8 days.

This is what I have planned so far, but I am happy to change it if I have some suggestions for better roads. [URL="https://goo.gl/maps/g4g7NVfYyCq[/URL]

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No matter how you go, the first day of your ride will be boring. Not until you get into the middle part of Oregon or Idaho. Oregon Hwy 242 from Amity to Baker City they call it the Little Dragon. I've done that. From Baker City to Joseph Oregon and Wallowa Lake, then go up Ore Hwy 3 from Enterprise to Lewiston Id. Turns into Washington Hwy 129. They call it the Rattlesnake Grade, 2nd best motorcycle Hwy in my opinion. I can post some pics of both places later

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, your link didn't work.

Anyways, here's a few shots of the Rattlesnake Grade, it goes on for like 50 miles. Oregon Hwy 3 & Washington Hwy 129, Enterprise Oregon to Lewiston Id.

Hwy129-2.jpg

Hwy129.jpg

Hwy129-3.jpg

Hwy3.jpg

Hwy3-4.jpg

The Old Spiral Hwy right above Lewiston Id. Just a short 10 mile road up to the top of the hill.

20130831_092916_zpsb65f40a1.jpg

20130831_093328_zpsc065eeaa.jpg

The beginning of LoLo, overated in my opinion. The Montana side is much better since the speed limit is 70 versus 55 in Idaho.

null_zpseae700cd.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pics looks good. Here's another link https://goo.gl/maps/xvx7EGaghVE2

Looks like a lot of slabbing, I understand you only have 8 days but your passing up some phenomenal motorcycle roads. Personally I would skip the Lassen parts just because you can do that anytime. Get yourself to the area you need to be ASAP. I think you should spend the 1st night in Baker City Or, taking Hwy 242 from Amity Or. From Amity, it's game on. Baker Is a bike friendly town, lots of lodging options. From there you can head up to Joseph Or and Wallowa Lake then double back a bit and hit the Rattlesnake Grade from Enterprise Or to Lewiston. Then hit the Old spiral Hwy and spend the night in Kamiah I'd. Very bike friendly motel that I can get the name for you later. Then you can hit Lolo first thing in the morning and head thru Flathead lake and up to Kalispell for the night then you can hit Glacier the next morning and go into Calgary or Banff. I suggest spending 2 nights in downtown Banff.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a lot of slabbing, I understand you only have 8 days but your passing up some phenomenal motorcycle roads. Personally I would skip the Lassen parts just because you can do that anytime. Get yourself to the area you need to be ASAP. I think you should spend the 1st night in Baker City Or, taking Hwy 242 from Amity Or. From Amity, it's game on. Baker Is a bike friendly town, lots of lodging options. From there you can head up to Joseph Or and Wallowa Lake then double back a bit and hit the Rattlesnake Grade from Enterprise Or to Lewiston. Then hit the Old spiral Hwy and spend the night in Kamiah I'd. Very bike friendly motel that I can get the name for you later. Then you can hit Lolo first thing in the morning and head thru Flathead lake and up to Kalispell for the night then you can hit Glacier the next morning and go into Calgary or Banff. I suggest spending 2 nights in downtown Banff.

The Lassen part has a point to it. I'll look into the rest. I have Butler Maps so that'll help. Thanks for the tips. I'll be looking for the name of the hotel in Kamiah. :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's called the Clearwater 12 Inn in Kamiah. A popular destination among many Pacific NW riders, pretty much the gateway to LoLo. If you do decide to stay in Baker City, they hold a lot of bike rallies and events, so make sure you make reservations. Hotels in Kalispell will be expensive, and up towards Banff as well. I've paid $300 a night in Montana during their peak travel season. It is what it is.

Kamiah, Id.
1558-1431583954.jpg

A link for the Old Spiral Highway in Lewiston Id.

Old Lewiston Grade “The Spiral Highway” | Motorcycle Roads NorthWest

And my # 2 Motorcycle Hwy of all times. The Rattlesnake Grade.

Washington State Route 129/Oregon Route 3 | Motorcycle Roads NorthWest

Last edited: