New Rider and New FZ6 owner here!

TheDrewFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
New Rider and New FZ6 owner here! ** Update

Sup everybody!

I'm Drew and a new rider here I recently passed the BRC and got my Class M license. So i figured it was time to buy my new to me 06 FZ6 with 9k on her. She is seriously super clean for being 6 years old and I'm assuming by the mileage was not ridden that much. Will be picking her up Friday after the banks sends me da moneyz and then the fun can begin.

As far as gear goes I plan on using my military issue boots, bought an ICON Alliance Helmet with a Dark gold tinted visor(full face), some Sedcii? gloves with nice finger armor lol. Still need to pick up a jacket, I will be doing this before I ever get out on the road (well parking lot for starters). As far as leg protection goes what do you all recommend? I was thinking I could throw shin/knee guards on under my jeans or what do you guys think?

As for plans for the first ride, a buddy of mine and I are planning on using an empty parking lot on base and setting up cones with the booklet provided from the MSF course so we could get familiar with our new bikes. Any suggestions?

Thanks for listening to my rant :rockon:

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Glad you're doing everything right. Get use to your motorcycle first before you ride out in traffic. Practice your quick stops and swerving. Get use to that touchy FZ6 clutch during slow speeds through the clutch control lane.

Shin and knee guards underneath jeans, I've done that. But there are many riding pants out on the market that fit over your jeans that come with armour.

Remember to visit your local Cycle Gear dealer and take advantage of that 15% discount using your MSF completion card :Flash:

Congrats by the way.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Glad you're doing everything right. Get use to your motorcycle first before you ride out in traffic. Practice your quick stops and swerving. Get use to that touchy FZ6 clutch during slow speeds through the clutch control lane.

Shin and knee guards underneath jeans, I've done that. But there are many riding pants out on the market that fit over your jeans that come with armour.

Remember to visit your local Cycle Gear dealer and take advantage of that 15% discount using your MSF completion card :Flash:

Congrats by the way.

Ditto :D :thumbup:

TheDrewFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: New Rider and New FZ6 owner here! *Update*

Sup peeps just wanted to give a little update. I picked up my bike this morning and had my buddy ride it back from the dealership. I took the day off so I dropped him off at work and drove over to cycle gear (in my car =) ) Picked up a nice Bilt red jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back armor and a nice ICON orange reflective vest. Got to use my 10% first time MSF discount and walkd out the door for only $150! Think he gave me extra off.

Finally got home got all my gear on and walked out to the bike. I'm pretty much nervous as hell but it was finally time for the first ride. I sat on the bike and rock her back and forth to get a feel for the friction zone, which is pretty damn narrow but i like it. So I figured it was time to ride around my apartment complex, baby steps. Got a little more confident with the throttle and clutch and took her on the open road.

WOW! This thing does have alot of power and i dont even think i broke 8 or 9k RPMs lol!. Took her out for about 2 hours just riding around the access roads next to my apartment, no freeway/highway riding. I think i'm in love with riding and this bike!! :Flash:

I did make a few mistakes which i mentally noted a few wide turns and almost leaned through the painted yellow line. also a few bad stops at the intersections where i had to catch the bike slighty from tipping a little to far. but all in all it was a great little ride and i love this bike.

Thanks for reading!!:rockon:

TheDrewFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh i also had a car brake down in front of me, parked the bike at the gas station just down the street and jogged back to help her. Not a bad looking girl either, helped flag down a couple other drivers and we were able to push her car out of the road. Am I doing this motorcyclist thing right? :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this awesome forum and congratulations on your new ride!

rhldshadow

rhldshadow
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, hope you love your new bike. Make sure you always where your gear no matter what and always always keep your eyes open and on the other guys. People like to forget they share the road. Shadow