New Rider/600mi Break-in Service

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I just bought a new Red 07 FZ6 a couple weeks ago. It's my first bike and I've been riding the hell out of it and loving every minute. I've put 300+ miles on the bike and I'm already thinking ahead to the 600mi break-in service and had a few questions. I've seen a few other topics on the forum about changing the oil, which I'm perfectly comfortable doing, but I'm a little intimidated by all of the other things I need to check. I grabbed a copy of the 07 service manual and it lists quite a few checks under 600mi in the periodic maintenance section, particularly these:
  • Exhaust system: Check for leaks (replace gaskets if necessary)
  • Steering bearings: Check bearing assemblies for looseness.
  • Control Cables: Apply Yamaha chain and cable lube or engine oil SAE 10W-30 thoroughly.

I'm a little worried that this might be beyond the capabilities of a newb such as me. Are these checks really necessary and if so can anyone comment on the difficulty of doing them yourself?

W

wrightme43

Exhaust just look around for flat black stains or pffft pffft noise. You shouldnt find any.

Steering bearings you will know if there is a problem in my opinion

Cables just get a cable luber from chapperal or aerostitch or your local shop.

The sooner the better with the first oil change in my opinion.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, so I'm trying to do this first service and I'm having a problem. The drain plug on my oil pan is on SUPER tight. I've been trying to get the thing off for a little while now without any luck. I'm worried about putting any additional torque on it because i don't want to ruin the threads on the pan. This thing isn't reverse threaded or anything is it? I'd feel pretty stupid if I'd been turning the wrong way all day. Has anyone else experience this? Any suggestions for an easy solution to pull this thing off would be greatly appreciated.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
The only things I know of that have left-hand threds are Propane fittings and the left side lug nuts on a old 69" Dodge D100 Pickup truck I use to own.LOL
If it where me I would just give the wrench a few good pops with my palm and see if that would do it. I'm not talking about beating the crap out of it but some firm pops with the heel of the hand. Most oil pan bolts for autos only require 15lb/ft of torque or less but get over tightened all the time even from the factory. Hope you get it out and remember when you change your filter to put a little oil on the rubber o-ring and screw it on hand tight.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yes, I experienced the same problem. It took me a while as well. I was using a socket wrench at first, but then I switched to a single wrench, the one that are double ended, one end of the wrench being 3/4 open and the other end totaly round or circular. Sorry, don't have the technical name for that particular wrench but I hope you have an idea. I used the circular part of the wrench just because it seems that it gave me the tightest grip on the bolt without a chance of stripping the thread. I then straddled the front tire between my legs and used my foot to push the wrench, the bolt finally made a popping sound and loosened up, but be careful, your oil will start pouring out.

W

wrightme43

Whoa Whoa,
Dont just pull or just push on a wrench. You will get hurt.

Strike it.

Use a rubber mallet, or a dead blow hammer to hit the wrench or ratchet. Ratchet with a 6 thats SIX I mean 6 sided socket (not a 12 point) smack it and it will come loose very very very easy, and you will not be knocking the bike over on yourself or the cat sleeping on the other side.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, i had actually already tried all of the above. I guess I was just kind of scared at the amount of force it was taking and got a little worried about stripping the threads (aluminum oil pans are notoriously bad about that).

Ended up just putting a 3 foot metal pipe on my wrench and leveraging the hell out of it. Still took a lot more force than I would have expected. Thanks for the help guys.

S

sportrider

check all fasteners!!!

I had one of the main engine bolts fall out before I ever hit my first service!!!
and I lost a fairing bolt ( the carrage allen bolt and the nylon washer) $6.99 bolt $1.99 washer. engine bolt was covered under warrenty.