New Project: Slab Yokes

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
DISCLAIMER: I am not now, nor ever have been a machinist, just a guy with more time than money. So those of you that are machinists, go easy on the comments :thumbup:.

As usual I am unable to wait till the project is completed to post up, so hopefully I will finish it soon. I always feel like I have bitten off just a little more than I can chew :eek:

I decided to make up a slab yoke for my R1 forks, just to beef up the whole front end. The tools I used are: Drill Press, Chop Saw, Belt Sander, Cross-Slide Vise, C-Clamps, HSS Whole Saw bits, 10" Aluminum Cutting Carbide Blade (for chopsaw), rotary sander, tap & Die, various drill bits.

Materials: 11.5" X 1.5" X 4" (top) and 11.5" X 2.25" X 4" (bottom) T6 6061 Aluminum, cutting wax

Here is the original pattern laid out on the aluminum (I ditched this pattern for one that allowed me to put my clamp bolts on the back side).
picture.php

Drilling and cleaning the holes.
picture.php

picture.php

Cutting the shape.
picture.php

Current state of both pieces sanded down with 80 grit.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am uber excited to see something like this on the forum today!!! (That's right...I said uber).

I have been doing a bunch of research on custom triple clamps for my ZX6R fork swap; trying to find different alternatives to the pricey custom pieces.

Please keep us updated on the progress....I will be waiting ;)

On a side note: I have spoken with a number of machinists (two-of which have made triple trees in the past) and they all say that the most difficult part of the whole thing is matching the fork stanchion distance & angle of the top clamp to the lower clamp. One local shop said that he would not even attempt it with the equipment that he had; and he had a full-blown machine shop.

Again Kudos!!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
On a side note: I have spoken with a number of machinists (two-of which have made triple trees in the past) and they all say that the most difficult part of the whole thing is matching the fork stanchion distance & angle of the top clamp to the lower clamp. One local shop said that he would not even attempt it with the equipment that he had; and he had a full-blown machine shop.

As far as I am able to figure, the only critical alignments are the relationships between the fork tubes the center post and each other with regard to top and bottom alignment, the actual rake of the forks is accomodated by the frame where the center post mounts, as long as the holes are true, all should be well...I think :confused:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Ok, cleaned out some of the excess metal on the bottom clamp today, much lighter now. Picked up a cross-slide vise to accomodate the many, many, many holes I needed to drill.

'You can drill with a mill, but you can't mill with a drill,' so next best thing, lots and lots of holes :eek:
picture.php

Ok, ok, I confess :(, I did mill a little bit with my drill, but in my defense, I did use a mill chuck and I did bolt the chuck into the arbor. Just wanted to clean up the face a bit.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, what you can do is amazing...:eek: I like the disclaimer/excuse on milling with a press.

Can't wait to see the finish product all mounted up!

P.S. 2 words for ya... rotate counterclockwise;)

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Yokes are done, will mount them on the bike tomorrow. I will pick up the fork tubes on Thursday and hopefully finish rebuilding them the same day. Hoping to have the bike back together on Friday or Saturday.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Project extension: I didn't like the polished look on the yokes so I decided to go with my first thought and have them powder coated satin black. Took them over today, will get them back on Wednesday.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Project extension: I didn't like the polished look on the yokes so I decided to go with my first thought and have them powder coated satin black. Took them over today, will get them back on Wednesday.

Hey...ummm..it's past Wednesday. Just wanted to point that out....

:thumbup:

P.S. WHERE ARE THE INSTALLED PICTURES!!!

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
This is some seriously impressive work, especially given the toolset you're using. I had been contemplating DIY top and bottom clamps, but had pretty much ditched the idea after selling my milling machine. You've succeeded in bringing that dream back to life.

Awesome job!