New owner observation

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
On Friday, I picked up a 2005 FZ6' low miles and pristine condition. Today was my shakedown ride. I am not a new rider. In fact, this is the 15th bike I have owned over the past 37 years; everything from 2 stroke MX bikes to a V4 cruiser. While taking the FZ6 through the gears on a deserted country road, I realized it had an outrageous top end :eek:. In fact, I never had her over 10K rpm. It is hard to believe there was still 4k rpm left to redline. Do any of you consistently rev this bike up to the redline? If yes, I guess I will have to give it a try. :D

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
At least once or twice a week I'll have it up near 12/13, but I've only had it to 14k+ on three occasions. Definitely need to be smooth. It's a surprising bike, for what it costs and looks like :)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant say that i consistently go up to 14k but i do.go up there when ever i want to put a grin on my face....i look at it like this our motor is off one of the top of the line 600cc super sports that red lines at 16k so at 14k theres no way we could do anything to hurt it, but we can have lots of fun doing it :D

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The motor tends to start dropping off above 12K.... there's really not that much up there, so it makes more sense to shift just a bit short of redline.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I only took it up to ~9k, up until the last few weeks. Lately I've been revving it a little higher, 10k on a regular basis, sometimes 11-12k in lower gears when I don't shift fast enough.

This is my first 'sport' bike, but I chuckle when some squid comments on how it's got so much less power than a true sportbike. I don't know how much more top end I could realistically use! Do I really need to be able to lift the front end or turn my back tire into smoke with a blip of my wrist in 4th gear?

I always wanted an SV650, not an I-4, mostly because everything under the sun has an I-4 and I like something off the beaten path. But finding out how fun the upper range is, is making me think twice. :D

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
This bike has an incredible top end! Its a great bike for commuting and can tear up the twisties all weekend! I love my FZ6!! :rockon::rockon:

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never gone above 8K in the 6 months I have owned her. That is fast enough for me, but it's nice to know I can kick arse if I ever wanted too!:thumbup: I still don't understand why some people call this a good beginner bike, it's a sleeper:D

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't call the FZ6 a beginner bike at all... I would say a beginner bike is classified as a Ninja 250.... gs500 etc...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The motor tends to start dropping off above 12K.... there's really not that much up there, so it makes more sense to shift just a bit short of redline.

Here's a chart that shows what RJ is saying.

When I had my FZ6 it would just lift the front end when she got around 10k

When you do a few little thing to the bike you can get a few more horses from it but it's the over performance benefit that really puts a smile on your face. The FZ6 can really surprise you with what it will dish out. Never disrespect or take this machine for granted!

Last edited:

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
It really is like 2 bikes in one when you get the RPMs up that high. Even with the stock exhaust I can hear it start to "scream" when it hits 10k and you get that sudden surge forward. Pure grinning bliss. :thumbup:

D

Dave.TX

Today I went on a ride with other bikes through the hills and twisties NW of Austin, TX. for the most part I could've left it in 6th gear but did drop it down to 4th or 5th once or twice just for the added power with higher RPM's. It has plenty of low end for my 200+ pounds.

Yes, I've had it to almost 14,000 RPM once (it did not hit the rev limiter). Power does drop off after 12,000 but it isn't like you'll notice for the last 2,000 to 14,000. It goes by so quickly.

I agree, once it hits the 8,000 mark it's almost like a different bike and just pulls hard. It's fun!

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Go back to that deserted road and DO it! I do a few times a week(at least to 13k) as I run through the gears.The bike seems to love it and so do I! Top speed not recommended in traffic.

D

Dave.TX

Go back to that deserted road and DO it! I do a few times a week(at least to 13k) as I run through the gears.The bike seems to love it and so do I! Top speed not recommended in traffic.

It also helps to clear out built up carbon deposits! :BLAA:

yamahog

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive always been a cruiser guy, and bought this for a "beginner" bike for my gf...HA! this things a blast...145 is as high as i had her so far on a nice looong straight stretch we have up here, but she was still climbing(i think, hard to tell at that speed). Amazing bike, seat sucks for distance, but I'm loving the hell out of it. Always wanted an fjr, still may go for one, or an FZ1, but this "little" 600 is one capable machine!