New owner - 2006 FZ6S

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the bike for a bike cruise it was a last minute thing so it was only 3 people. me and 2 cbr 250's. Anyway we went down south springbrook, brisbane folks would know of it, very twisty area with hairpin and good ride/drive.

Just a few questions about taking corners and countersteering. I find it that the bike fights with the countersteer or seem hard to countersteer the bike and whether leaning the bike is ok or arse off the seat with upright?

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the bike for a bike cruise it was a last minute thing so it was only 3 people. me and 2 cbr 250's. Anyway we went down south springbrook, brisbane folks would know of it, very twisty area with hairpin and good ride/drive.

Just a few questions about taking corners and countersteering. I find it that the bike fights with the countersteer or seem hard to countersteer the bike and whether leaning the bike is ok or arse off the seat with upright?

Not tryin to teach you to suck eggs,but check your tyre pressures,it shouldnt be that hard to tip in...;)

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Front - 33
Rear - 36
sticker on the swing arm

or is there an ideal psi to get best performance?

What division do you fight in(light or heavy weight) & do you carry any luggage ? From memory those pressures are for the light weight division.:thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I normally do 34/38 and I am pretty light too.
The bike should be pretty happy to lean as long as your moving along.
I found going from a 250 to the 600 I had to be more careful in gearing since the FZ6 is alot more powerful after 6-7k revs, and I tend to ride below that, which isn't always ideal for twisties. (I find the bike ALOT more nimble one your revving harder)
The only time I've had any issues cornering was when I had a giant screw through the back tyre and no pressure :p
Putting a bit of weight into the pegs will let you corner more easily without really leaning, and if you have come from a smaller bike you'll probably need to work a bit harder setting up your corners.

I went from a FZX250 to the FZ6, and the FZX was actually much easier to corner and much more forgiving, it topped out alot faster, and didn't have the same acceleration, but I could ride it faster through corners than the FZ6 for a long while.
The fizzer is taller, has more torque and can be way more scary :p

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
you mean moving as in - accelerating at a constant speed?

I came from a 600 sportsbike, I do agree the lower gears are twitchy.

So if I was turning right I would put more pressure on the right peg? I think its just a fear factor of it feelings it'll slide out lol sometimes I go a little further than my comfortable zone and it fine but some days I feel it won't work lol

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site

So if I was turning right I would put more pressure on the right peg? I think its just a fear factor of it feelings it'll slide out lol sometimes I go a little further than my comfortable zone and it fine but some days I feel it won't work lol

Audriuss

Reaction score
Visit site

recently was told about great learning video/movie. That tell everything in it. Just after watching it, and having a drive, couldn't believe, that I could drive better instantly!
"Twist of the wrist II".

Anyone know any more movies about "How to drive a bike"?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Accelerating isn't a constant speed, thats something important to keep in mind. Cornering you should be breaking INTO/BEFORE the corner and accelerating through/out of the corner. (Coming in wide for good vision and turning, and leaving shallow /tight)
If your revving too low in a gear you won't have the momentum to lean properly, won't feel any confidence and will find it really hard. Because the FZ6 is such a different beast in the low and high revs you have to work the gears a bit harder.
If you get stuck between that line it is really bad because at one point you have good torque/accel and beneath it, it seems to just drop away and is much more placid.

Generally I put the weight into the side I am turning, it also helps you absorb bumps through your legs rather than the bike jumping around horribly.

The tyres that come on the FZ6 are also horrible, it might be worth investing in something better if thats what came on the bike when you bought it.
Also want to make sure the tyres are warmed up before you try anything too crazy :p and in the rain is another matter again.

You can also setup the rear suspension for your weight, that could be having somewhat of an effect too.

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Accelerating isn't a constant speed, thats something important to keep in mind. Cornering you should be breaking INTO/BEFORE the corner and accelerating through/out of the corner. (Coming in wide for good vision and turning, and leaving shallow /tight)
If your revving too low in a gear you won't have the momentum to lean properly, won't feel any confidence and will find it really hard. Because the FZ6 is such a different beast in the low and high revs you have to work the gears a bit harder.
If you get stuck between that line it is really bad because at one point you have good torque/accel and beneath it, it seems to just drop away and is much more placid.

Generally I put the weight into the side I am turning, it also helps you absorb bumps through your legs rather than the bike jumping around horribly.

The tyres that come on the FZ6 are also horrible, it might be worth investing in something better if thats what came on the bike when you bought it.
Also want to make sure the tyres are warmed up before you try anything too crazy :p and in the rain is another matter again.

You can also setup the rear suspension for your weight, that could be having somewhat of an effect too.

Totally agree with this info. I find myself holding revs into the corner and keeping as much as I can...some of the slower ones i feather the clutch into it if im short on revs. This I have learnt over time with the FZ6 and is not recommended for a new rider as you may find yourself with the front in the air whilst cornering if your not careful. :spank:

Stock tyres suck! almost anything with corner better than the stock bridgestones.

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
Your year model would have been shod with crappy Bridgestone Battlax 020's as OEM :thumbup:

Well thats just gay lol previous owner fitted new tyre already so I guess I gotta live with for awhile.

Btw they are BT016 so I take it their crap :banghead:

Its due for a new front soon - what is the above average price/quality tyre?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The BT 016 is much better the a 020. It's a triple compound that seems to be popular. I have heard it takes a long time to warm up.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well thats just gay lol previous owner fitted new tyre already so I guess I gotta live with for awhile.

Btw they are BT016 so I take it their crap :banghead:

Its due for a new front soon - what is the above average price/quality tyre?

The BT 016 is much better the a 020. It's a triple compound that seems to be popular. I have heard it takes a long time to warm up.

The BT016's are an awesome tyre! Super super sticky, take bugger all time to warm up, justabout the best tyre you could get for an FZ6, if you want oodles of grip in sports mode, and dont care that much for mileage!

And anyone that has followed me 2 up on an FZ6 with BT016's, and there is at least 4 forum members on here that can vouch for this claim, will agree that BT016's work real good!

:rockon: