New owner - 2006 FZ6S

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all

Im johno, I've just bought a 2006 FZ6S lastnight. Coming from a 1991 FZR600 sports bike. I yet still have alot to get used to - cornering mainly but I'm loving the upright position so much more comfortable!

I wouldn't mind doing a little bit of work to this bike so what would be the first move?

With supporting mods:
- Scorpion twin undertail exhaust
- Oggy Knobs
- K & N air filter
- Fender eliminator
- Clear indicators
- Bridgestone BT016 rear

I will post pictures tomorrow.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice stuff! It looks good.

Does it have a PCIII or PCV installed? With the scorps and KN Filter thats a good choice that will get the most out of those.

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
Im still new to the bike world as I'm a car enthusiast. I'm guessing the your referring to the ecu? Im not sure but how can I check? What is the difference in the two?

Also is there an online/pdf workshop manual?

The bike sounds fantastic! On idle it rumble and riding it roars definitely a head turner. :thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep the power commander is a piggyback unit for tuning/fueling, III is the older one specifically for the older FZ6's, the PCV (5) is the newest one, that is meant for the 2010 model, but works with the older ones from what I have heard.
Once you start doing heavy modding (aftermarket exhaust and filter onwards) its generally recommended to get it all tuned up. That being said I haven't bothered yet and its not a huge issue, but would probably be worthwhile.

To see if one is connected just lift the seat up and check underneath, it will be stowed somewhere under there. I may be wrong but I am pretty sure they are universal with different leads, so its likely it would have been removed if the owner didn't mention it particularly since it can be used in other bikes or sold second hand!

There was an online Haynes manual somewhere I think, can't seem to find it though.

The Scorpions would definately be much nicer than stock, its much too whiny and restricted with the oem exhaust!

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
Would it be under the passenger seat? There's a black plastic cover which is bolted down? I figured that would be the battery?

But directly under the rider is space like a compartment storage - has a pack of tools there.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Would it be under the passenger seat? There's a black plastic cover which is bolted down? I figured that would be the battery?

But directly under the rider is space like a compartment storage - has a pack of tools there.

Nah, the battery is underneath the fuel tank. ****ty placement.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
The PCIII is very compact, they recommend putting it under the seat but its really up to you. I have mine installed there, along with the speedo healer, and the toolkit that comes with the bike. Plus there is spare room still. Its easy to get the wiring through, and easy to access for connecting it up to a laptop or switching between modes.
The bit that is bolted down is just a cover with some rubber than hangs off it from memory.

Why is the battery under the tank bad? Take the seat off and an allen key on two bolts and its really easily accessible.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
The PCIII is very compact, they recommend putting it under the seat but its really up to you. I have mine installed there, along with the speedo healer, and the toolkit that comes with the bike. Plus there is spare room still. Its easy to get the wiring through, and easy to access for connecting it up to a laptop or switching between modes.
The bit that is bolted down is just a cover with some rubber than hangs off it from memory.

Why is the battery under the tank bad? Take the seat off and an allen key on two bolts and its really easily accessible.

I would just like it to be somewhere a bit more user friendly - under a pop-off cover under the seat. I would like it accessible without tools, and preferably without having to wedge something up.

But I'm being pedantic. This bike is a sexy beast.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the best forum mate! :BLAA:
Yeah those Scorps look great!

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I would just like it to be somewhere a bit more user friendly - under a pop-off cover under the seat. I would like it accessible without tools, and preferably without having to wedge something up.

But I'm being pedantic. This bike is a sexy beast.

Hmm that would be more convenient!
As long as its not the oldschool look with the battery visible under the seat :p

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as its not the oldschool look with the battery visible under the seat :p

Yeah, that'd be fark ugly - it would have a little rope handle on the battery and just drop into a little cutout sealed on five sides, with a mesh base or something :)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all

Im johno, I've just bought a 2006 FZ6S lastnight. Coming from a 1991 FZR600 sports bike. I yet still have alot to get used to - cornering mainly but I'm loving the upright position so much more comfortable!

I wouldn't mind doing a little bit of work to this bike so what would be the first move?

:welcome: to the forum Johno, nice looking bike :thumbup:

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site

my 91 fzr was exactly like that! easy access though the positive was about 20mm away from the frame which was bad when using tools :Flash:

thanks for the greets :D I still getting used to cornering. I find it easy to shift my weight to corner appose to leaning the bike. I've just been reading alot about the pegs scrapping?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
From who :D
Don't think I have ever had my peg scrape, not that I ride all that crazy.
Shifting your weight through the pegs lets the bike corner pretty sweetly without as much lean, but its also a nice bike for when you do start leaning.
First gear is a little twitchy, I remember having issues with first and second and cornering when I first got the bike because first was revving too hard (and was very on/off) and second was practically stalling, but an aftermarket exhaust and gearing change fixed that.

My dad is an old school rider though, and he doesn't really lean very much, mainly just shifts his weight, but he is also used to older bikes with much thinner wheels.
Annoying when I ride with him since he doesn't corner the same way or speed I do.

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
I mate has the street triple, he mentioned how the fz6 pegs are lower than usual, the pegs scrapping is common in general riding whilst leaning with the bike on corners. I dunno where he got that from but I did some net search bout it and there is alot of threads about it not from this forum. I believe there's a video too on youtube. I'll try to find it where he's laps of a roundabout and scrapping the pegs non stop.

I'm not game to lean with this bike just feels like its gonna tip lol. Im not a heavy nor a average weight guy either (60kg) so I really gotta move my ass haha.

First gear is very twitchy not something I would wanna corner quick. I take it your dad use to ride the harley type bikes?