ctom

Reaction score
Visit site
New to this site and riding. Never had a bike before. A buddy of mine gave me an 87 fz 600 that he told was running before he stored it outside under a tarp. This was back in 2005. He had made some minor mods on it removing air box for 4 pods. Took off most of the body work. New headlight. He said if I can haul it away I can have it. Well I took it. Dad said I could never get it to run. Hopefully this comes back to bite him. It sat in my dad's dry basement for another several years and subsequently got kicked out of that home. It now resides with me where I have finally found time to monkey with it. I had a friend come over and check it out to see if it could be fixed. He said as long as the cylinders were not seized it is worth a shot. Well...I have been working on it off and on for the better part of a year. Got new carbs and rebuilt them. Cleaned the rusty tank and lined it. New spark plugs. New exhaust gaskets. Rebuilt pet****...basically did what I could without tearing all the way down to it skibbies.....and not spending loads of money. When the bike came to me many of the lines ( fuel, air, crankcase, and other lines) had been disconnected. Being a newbie to motorcycles I am having a hard time figuring out what goes where. I studied all the manuals, watched all the YouTube videos, and tried to read as many of the threads that I can. I have been able to get to the last step of trying to start.......I would like to install the gas tank to start, but I cannot figure out how the lines coming from the pet**** connect to the bike or how the lines from the tank connect. In reading threads it sounds like the line feeding from the front of the tank is a vacuum line....Does it hook up to anything? How do the lines from the pet**** hook up? One big, one small. I assume one connects to the carb line that feeds from between the 2nd and 3rd carb. Sounds like there are some smart people on this forum so I am confident that I can get this beast at least started. All I want to do is get it started so I can prove my pops wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you tried looking at the diagrams on a parts site, although sometimes they are a little hard to follow. Pictures are always helpful. It also looks like there are two possible designations S or T for certain aspects of the bike.

1987 Yamaha FZ600T Fuel Tank Fz600s T | MRCycles

I probably don't have to say this since it sounds like you are doing it right. It is also important to ensure the breaks, bearings, and other aspects are in good condition BEFORE you ride it, especially after sitting that long. Tires will also be on the list provided you get it running. Good luck!

ctom

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep....look at this diagram and similar ones about 100 times.....trying to figure out how everything goes together. They just are not as detailed as I need. Maybe I just have not seen the right one yet. Again, I suspect one line from the pet**** hooks up to the carbs....but I could be wrong about that. And certainly I no intentions of trying to ride until I get the other things you mentioned hammered out. Soul purpose is tot get it started and prove old pops he was wrong....after that everything will be looking up...at least I hope...again any help on the connections would be much appreciated.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
GOTTA LOVE AN OPTIMIST!!!

Best of luck Buddy. I cannot afford to dwell on this too much though, or I'll be tempted to rescue my 1977 RD400 from my brother-in-law's barn and try to get her back to running.

Chris

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The larger line will be for the fuel flow itself. That will connect to usually a main fuel line(probably steel) that runs between all 4 carbs.

The smaller is indeed the vacuum line. There should be a separate nipple towards the front of one of the carbs for it to attach to.

When the bike is cranked, it pulls vacuum and opens the pet c0ck. If your pet c0ck has a lever, it should have a position for PRIMING, where fule will flow wether you have the vacuum line hook up, engine cranking, or not.

Simply putting some fuel in the tank, off the bike (or on) and flipping the lever to check for fuel flow. When you had the valve out, yours MAY, have had two different height intake tubes(with filters). The shorter tube is reserve, the longer is the regular operating position.

For initial testing, you can easily hang a test fuel tank (I use a small lawn mower fuel tank plumbing into the carbs). Make sure that vacuum nipple is closed off (or it'll run really bad with a major vacuum leak).

Of course, your going to need to sync those carbs once its running. :thumbup:

Looking a the parts fisch, it does appear to have two separate higher and lower intakes and a lever.

Part #36 appears to be your fuel line itself (going into a "T" fitting):
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 1987 FZ600T CARBURETOR FZ600T - TC Diagram

Double click on the image to enlarge...

Last edited:

ctom

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the info and encouragement. I did purchase the manual that was recommended. I have the Haynes one as well. Both are good for some things. Unfortunately not for this particular problem. I will post some pictures of what I am trying to do later.....workin now. I assume that these connections are somewhat standard on older bikes. Again the problem is how to connect lines from petc0ck (one big port at front and one small port at back) to bike and where does gas tank vent line go. Does it attached to anything. My understanding is this is a vacuum petc0ck. And yes...I will get this thing started.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the info and encouragement. I did purchase the manual that was recommended. I have the Haynes one as well. Both are good for some things. Unfortunately not for this particular problem. I will post some pictures of what I am trying to do later.....workin now. I assume that these connections are somewhat standard on older bikes. Again the problem is how to connect lines from petc0ck (one big port at front and one small port at back) to bike and where does gas tank vent line go. Does it attached to anything. My understanding is this is a vacuum petc0ck. And yes...I will get this thing started.

Re the pet c0ck, thats NOT vented. Pretty simple set up actually.

There should be just two lines to that, larger is fuel, smaller is vacuum.

The tank itself is either vented under the gas cap OR, looking under the tank, they'll be a nipple to attach an overflow/vent hose to that just exits the bike, usually down below the swing arm, off to the side away from the rear tire (not attached to anything down below)

Last edited:

ctom

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow...thanks Townscend. I must have posted when you were posting. So I had it partially right. I had the larger one hooked up to the carbs (between 2nd and third). I did not however know where the smaller one went. There is a free nipple on the second carb. Sounds like thats where the smaller one will go. Any idea where the vacuum line for the gas tank goes? Does it just hang open. Seems crazy that it would. But what do I know I am still new at this.

ctom

Reaction score
Visit site
Again...must just be a lag with my posting. I will check on the gas tank vent. There is only one large nipple on the tank at the front. I will look tonight to see if I can figure out. Thanks much for all the help.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow...thanks Townscend. I must have posted when you were posting. So I had it partially right. I had the larger one hooked up to the carbs (between 2nd and third). I did not however know where the smaller one went. There is a free nipple on the second carb. Sounds like thats where the smaller one will go. Any idea where the vacuum line for the gas tank goes? Does it just hang open. Seems crazy that it would. But what do I know I am still new at this.

I suspect that smaller nipple on carb #2 is where the VACUUM line from the pet c0ck goes. Especially if #2 has the ONLY extra nipple.

If there's a a separate line on the fuel tank, it is simply a vent and doesn't attach to anything.. Just make sure its run down low, just offset from the rear tire (for safety). Its just allowing the tank to vent and not cause a vapor lock.