New Member with a 2009 FZ6!

AlisAquilae

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!

I've been looking at FZ6s for quite a while now and finally found a beautiful 2009 FZ6 with 5300 miles for a great price. I ended up buying the bike last night and am extremely happy with it!

The FZ6 experienced a standing drop once and there are a few small scuffs to show for it, but the vehicle is otherwise flawless! This is my first bike and it took a little time to get used to riding it but I've been enjoying every moment.

-B

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great! It's just like how mine looked when I first purchased it. It's a fun bike with plenty of power to keep up with the supersports. With that in mind and the fact that it's your first bike be careful, it'll definitely step the back end out when you want it to (or maybe when you don't want it to).

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the best forum ever. I have the same ride but in the faster blue. Mine looks nothing like that any more though.

starflyer

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum! Gotta love a Raven (color) FZ!:rockon:

any mods in the future? took me less than a week to start modding and i actually had parts waiting at the house even before the bike arrived!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!

I've been looking at FZ6s for quite a while now and finally found a beautiful 2009 FZ6 with 5300 miles for a great price. I ended up buying the bike last night and am extremely happy with it!

The FZ6 experienced a standing drop once and there are a few small scuffs to show for it, but the vehicle is otherwise flawless! This is my first bike and it took a little time to get used to riding it but I've been enjoying every moment.

-B
Welcome,
Ride with gear and do your MSF, all the best.

Neil

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

Welcome to the Forum. I am not sure which states require a MSF course to acquire an endorsement on your license, but it in Michigan it is required and highly recommended if it is not in Virginia. Here in Michigan our riding season is approximately 6-7 months depending on the weather and the MSF courses typically fill up quickly. I ended up getting my certification through the Harley Davidson Rider's Edge program. It was a lot more expensive ($325), but it was taught by some very knowledgeable folks. The bikes used in the class were the Buell Blast, which made it easy to learn the fundamentals on. At the end of the class the instructor asked what motorcycle they were planning to purchase and I tried to explain the FZ6, "it is a naked sportbike", even though the only one I had seen was on my desktop at the time. They did not share my enthusiasm. Anyway, last summer I took the advanced MSF course and it was great to review some of core riding concepts and this time the instructors, who all rode Harley's, said I need to get me one of Yamaha FZ6's.

AlisAquilae

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome,
Ride with gear and do your MSF, all the best.

Neil

Thanks! I might be young but I'm a full advocate of always riding with all my gear. My Shoei Multitec came in the mail today and I'm stoked!

:welcome:

Welcome to the Forum. I am not sure which states require a MSF course to acquire an endorsement on your license, but it in Michigan it is required and highly recommended if it is not in Virginia.

I plan to take it as soon as I get home! Ironically, I'm up here in your hometown working for Chrysler (specifically, SRT) this summer and just bought this FZ6 in Warren.

:welcome: to the forum! Gotta love a Raven (color) FZ!:rockon:

any mods in the future? took me less than a week to start modding and i actually had parts waiting at the house even before the bike arrived!

Have you any suggestions for mods? I've got some spare funds after the great deal I got on this FZ6. I ending up paying $3800 for the bike, a new rear tire, a new battery and a cover.

-B

starflyer

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would suggest some frame sliders as #1 mod to save the plastics if it falls over standing still, especially as this is your first bike. the gf was sitting on my fz the other day and forgot to put the sidestand down before getting off (granted she shouldn't have been on it at all:iconbeer:). you never know. my sliders have saved my plastics a couple of times.

aside from sliders it's all up to you. you can go the aesthetic route and change the looks quite a bit just by installing a new windscreen, or go another route and start cutting up the airbox! there are many mods, all of which are explained in great detail here on the forum!

you might also look into some of the maintenance items: oil, coolant, chain maintenance, brake fluid, cable lube, sync the throttle bodies, etc...

most importantly be safe and have fun:BLAA:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum. :thumbup:
We've got great people and tons of useful information on FZ6's here.
Oh, and thanks for posting pics of your new baby right away. :D

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to this fantastic forum and motorcycle. I am sure you will love your new FZ6 and will have many, many hours of fun riding. Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet bike! Love my 08! Drive fast and take risks.....JK! :spank:

Mods....hehe well how much do you have to spend? :rolleyes:

Id love a new exhausta and power commander for mine(however power comander is not necessary for most slip ons).

mannydiller

Reaction score
Visit site
*sigh* ironically, yesterday i found out that insurance would be totaling out my '09 fz6... i only had 1300 miles on it. i low sided making what i felt was a very tame 20mph turn, but apparently enough damage for them not to bother repairing. i don't know how my skinned knee only equated to a totaling of my bike, but that's how it played out. i guess the helmet, jacket, and gloves did its job. enjoy it, friend... i hope you put on yours 100x more miles than i put on mine. i don't think there was ever a time in its brief life, that i wasn't smiling from ear to ear.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats and welcome to the forum! I started on a FZ6 also, other than having been on a couple 100cc dirt bikes and a CBR 600 (once). Just take it easy and get the hang of things first. It was also mentioned, but the MSF course is great and your insurance company may even offer a discount for having completed the course.

What part of VA are you in? I bought my bike in VA Beach when I lived there about three years ago.

AlisAquilae

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again for the welcoming and congratulatory words!

i would suggest some frame sliders as #1 mod to save the plastics if it falls over standing still, especially as this is your first bike.

Sounds like an outstanding suggestion. Do you have a particular brand of slider that you would recommend? Some say that sliders will wreck your frame when they get caught on the asphalt in a lay-over at higher speeds. Is there any merit to this?

:welcome: to the forum. :thumbup:
We've got great people and tons of useful information on FZ6's here.
Oh, and thanks for posting pics of your new baby right away. :D

No problem! Everybody loves a good picture! Took a few more and have attached them below for everyone's enjoyment.

Mods....hehe well how much do you have to spend? :rolleyes:

Id love a new exhausta and power commander for mine(however power comander is not necessary for most slip ons).

Welcome! The most popular mod, by far, is exhaust. Rock the gear and be safe out there.

Well, being a college student and paying for insurance/registration/gas for my truck and this new FZ6 adds up. ;)

An aftermarket exhaust could be an option though. I have a magnaflow muffler with custom pipes on my truck that I fabricated/welded in myself and I love it! I've looked at a few videos of Leo Vince and Two Brothers exhausts and have determined that TB is a bit too loud.

What part of VA are you in? I bought my bike in VA Beach when I lived there about three years ago.

I live in Northern VA near D.C. but frequent Virginia Beach. It's a great vacation spot!

-B

starflyer

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i've got shogun sliders and have been thinking about getting some motivation sliders. in a low speed fall i don't think the brand really matters. the shoguns have proven themselves in only a stand-still tip over for me, no experience with high speed lay-over and i hope you won't have any experience with that either:eek:

i've read about what you mentioned in sliders stripping out threads in the engine mounts. i wouldn't worry about it. someone here (don't remember whom exactly) drilled the frame out and just ran some bolts through the frame.

EDIT...you're not gonna hurt it...have fun: )

:rockon:

Last edited: