New member welcome thread..

funkycold

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Just brought home my 2007 FZ6 today. I got it from a local dealer. It only had 1915 miles on it, so its pretty much like new. The previous owner bought it and didn't like it (ended up getting a gold wing). He kept it in his garage and rode is a few times, but ended up waiting to sell it until he wasn't upside down in it. So I got a good deal (I think). $6500 for the bike, taxes, license and a new set of givi hard cases with mounting brackets.

I've only put about 15 miles on it today but I think I'm going to really like it. I'm coming off of a 2008 Harley Nightster that was my first street bike. Up until the FZ6 I've ridden v-twins and dirtbikes and the occasional single cylinder dual sport.

I'm looking forward to hanging out with you fellas.
Funk

Jilbo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, Names Andrew from Australia thought I'd drop a line and say hi! Just purchased a 2008 FZ6S and I am stoked. Started on an old FZR 250 many years ago, moved through various bikes, R6, TLR1000, Hyabusa, Z750 over the years but have to say this is the comfiest bike I have owned!

I look forward to chatting with you all over the coming months / years!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was about to offer a downunder welcome but JILBO, you're already here
you made it to the right place anyway. and to all other new members a big ol' Aussie "goodonyer"

Last edited:

Ninja Apprentice

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy all!

I have been lurking on here about two and a half months now. My names is Chris. I picked up an 07 Fz6 in red back in Mid November and have put 580 miles on it so far and have been really enjoying it. I have been riding a 2008 Ninja 250r for the last 6 and 3/4 years (WOW almost 7 years!) and 14,000 miles finally convinced myself to get an upgrade. My current feeling is that I made an excellent choice! :thumbup:

Chris

TofuJunky87

Do you Tofu?
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody!

I'm a new member here (go figure)...

I've been riding bikes ever since I was a little kid. Learned on a Honda 50cc dirtbike then graduated to a Kawasaki 125cc. I first learned to ride on the road on a Buell Blast that was owned by my parents. My first bike I owned was a 2001 Yamaha R6 Champions Edition, which was stolen a few years later:mad: after which made a $10,000 impulse buy and got a 2009 Yamaha R6. I eventually sold that after a few years because I grew to hate the unusable power band. I went several years without a bike which brings us to now.

Just a few weeks ago, I was given the green light by the Wifey to get a project bike that I could rebuild to use as a commuter. I was able to find a totaled 2004 Yamaha FZ6 in dark blue. It was in a front impact accident. The fairing was destroyed, both upper fork tubes were bent, and it had some damage on the right side. Long story short, I have spent the last few weeks tearing it down and stripping all of the broken parts. I will really enjoy working on this and I hope to have it on the road for when the weather starts getting warm.

I look forward to meeting all of you and I really enjoy using forums (I've had several project cars and I like doing build threads).

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody!

I'm a new member here (go figure)...

I've been riding bikes ever since I was a little kid. Learned on a Honda 50cc dirtbike then graduated to a Kawasaki 125cc. I first learned to ride on the road on a Buell Blast that was owned by my parents. My first bike I owned was a 2001 Yamaha R6 Champions Edition, which was stolen a few years later:mad: after which made a $10,000 impulse buy and got a 2009 Yamaha R6. I eventually sold that after a few years because I grew to hate the unusable power band. I went several years without a bike which brings us to now.

Just a few weeks ago, I was given the green light by the Wifey to get a project bike that I could rebuild to use as a commuter. I was able to find a totaled 2004 Yamaha FZ6 in dark blue. It was in a front impact accident. The fairing was destroyed, both upper fork tubes were bent, and it had some damage on the right side. Long story short, I have spent the last few weeks tearing it down and stripping all of the broken parts. I will really enjoy working on this and I hope to have it on the road for when the weather starts getting warm.

I look forward to meeting all of you and I really enjoy using forums (I've had several project cars and I like doing build threads).
Interesting story and choice on the FZ. It does have a more usable powerband but I feel like you'd of been happier on a twin or triple. Have you ridden an FZ before to see if you'd like it? I just don't want you to do all that work and then find that you don't like the FZ either

TofuJunky87

Do you Tofu?
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting story and choice on the FZ. It does have a more usable powerband but I feel like you'd of been happier on a twin or triple. Have you ridden an FZ before to see if you'd like it? I just don't want you to do all that work and then find that you don't like the FZ either

Its funny that you mention that. I've actually ridden several twins such as a Buell M1 Cyclone (haha wow that makes me feel so old saying that), a Ducati Monster, and a Ducati 9..something or other, and a few HDs. I love the torque of the twins, but they had a little too much vibration for me. I love the smooth purr of a 4 banger, and I especially love the sound and the feel of when the power kicks in up in the high rpms.

That being said, I sound like I'm contradicting myself but I hated the 09 R6 because there was NO low to mid range power. I had Buicks passing me below 10k RPM, then once you hit that mark, it was like a turbo kicking in and it ripped my arms out of their sockets all the way to 16-17k. This powerband is great for track usage but when I was driving on the road it was useless. My 01 R6 had lots of high end power but it at least had a little midrange as well.

I guess its hard to explain but I do love high range power, I just want to be able to pass somebody without downshifting to 1st gear. I did research on the FZ and found out it has a retuned R6 engine from that early 2000s era that allows for more low to mid range. Combined with a more comfortable seating position for commuting and I have the best of everything I need.

Hopefully that makes sense :thumbup:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its funny that you mention that. I've actually ridden several twins such as a Buell M1 Cyclone (haha wow that makes me feel so old saying that), a Ducati Monster, and a Ducati 9..something or other, and a few HDs. I love the torque of the twins, but they had a little too much vibration for me. I love the smooth purr of a 4 banger, and I especially love the sound and the feel of when the power kicks in up in the high rpms.

That being said, I sound like I'm contradicting myself but I hated the 09 R6 because there was NO low to mid range power. I had Buicks passing me below 10k RPM, then once you hit that mark, it was like a turbo kicking in and it ripped my arms out of their sockets all the way to 16-17k. This powerband is great for track usage but when I was driving on the road it was useless. My 01 R6 had lots of high end power but it at least had a little midrange as well.

I guess its hard to explain but I do love high range power, I just want to be able to pass somebody without downshifting to 1st gear. I did research on the FZ and found out it has a retuned R6 engine from that early 2000s era that allows for more low to mid range. Combined with a more comfortable seating position for commuting and I have the best of everything I need.

Hopefully that makes sense :thumbup:
Gotcha, just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into haha.

I still haven't ridden an RR kinda bike that's ALL top end to know what only explosive top end power's like (came from a Nin250) but I chose the FZ for all the reasons you just stated haha. I actually was looking at a CBR f4i and the dude pulled the FZ out. I sat on the CBR and then the FZ and then back on the CBR and my back hurt immediately. That's all it took to sell me on the FZ lol (and the center stand and undertail exhaust). I truthfully didn't know anything about the FZ but it turned out the more I looked into it, the more I realized I made a VERY VERY good decision :rockon:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess I'm a little bit overdo, but here goes:

I'm Daniel, a (currently) 20 year old from Ontario, Canada. I got into riding motorcycles last year (Around mid July) on a Honda CBR 250RA, and was from then on infected with the riding bug. My whole reason for picking it up was that it'd always been something I thought was both fun and economic, and after almost dying last January due to my thankfully now fixed heart condition - I figured I had no reason not to, and I didn't want regrets to exist in my second shot at life. I ended up riding last year into late December, turning my bike in just before Christmas, and just before all the real snow started to come down.

Ended up coming across a 2008 FZ6 (Raven too!) on Kijiji for just over $5000. It had 11,000KM on it, and was owned by somebody who had four bikes total - and they all seemed in great shape from what he was showing me. I saw the seller drop it down to $4300, and when I mentioned it to my dad he spoke of how I could get the bike on credit and pay it off later if I sell the CBR, and that pretty much settled the deal. I drove five hours up to North Bay with him and my girlfriend to see it, cash in hand, and after looking it over for a bit - threw it on the trailer and brought it home. It's in great shape from what I can tell! As much as I love my little 250 and would suggest it to any new riders, doing test rides on bigger bikes really spoiled me and I wanted something with a little more oomph. Insurance for the 250 on my own is over $3000 through TD, which is obscene, but I've managed to get something worked out through State Farm and my dad that will allow me to run the FZ6 for $1260 or so a year, which is stellar.

Really interested in getting to know you folks, not to mention learning more than I already know about bike maintenance and modifications. Still shocked I managed to get my typical alias here without any extra numbers affixed to the end... Perks of a smaller community! I'm also really, really into video games during my off hours.

Last edited:

TheFemaleBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys :),
I've been using this forum for a while now just for little tips and help with my modifications on my FZ6 and figured it was about time I actually signed up. So I'm Liz a female biker in the UK, been riding for 3 years now and I got my FZ6 from my boyfriend after he crashed it, it used to be faired until he crashed it into a kerb, so since then I have been slowly building it back up, but this time it's naked/streetfighter. It is pretty much complete now except for the odd cosmetic thing I want to add. I won't bother listing all the mods for now. I'm also a qualified motorcycle mechanic, still learning the odd thing though. I'm always up for some ride outs if anyone else on here is in the UK near Leeds.

So Hello :D

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Ello Ello,

My names Cha 26 years old and I'm from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Iv been reading this forum for years and finally just got my FZ6 last week! (still at dealership)
Any ways I've been riding since I was 13. Started on a 1986 Honda 80 dirtbike. Moved to a Yamaha 100. Got my first road bike in my early 20's (a 1988 Honda cb450S) And now I just bought my 2008 Yamaha FZ6 (Raven Black.) Super excited to get this as Iv wanted one since 2004! Wont be able to go on my first ride until I pick it up from the dealership May 1. Still own my cb450s which I love to death but will sadly have to sell it in the spring.
Will post pix in time!

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ello Ello,

My names Chapin 26 years old and I'm from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Iv been reading this forum for years and finally just got my FZ6 last week! (still at dealership)
Any ways I've been riding since I was 13. Started on a 1986 Honda 80 dirtbike. Moved to a Yamaha 100. Got my first road bike in my early 20's (a 1988 Honda cb450S) And now I just bought my 2008 Yamaha FZ6 (Raven Black.) Super excited to get this as Iv wanted one since 2004! Wont be able to go on my first ride until I pick it up from the dealership May 1. Still own my cb450s which I love to death but will sadly have to sell it in the spring.
Will post pix in time!
Welcome! also my uncle lives in Halifax!

Dazby

World Adventure Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day. I'm Daz, just dropping by to introduce myself and my intentions. I'm a long time rider who has completed quite a few laps of planet earth on two wheels. I have had many different bikes but that past 10 years have mostly been on large dual sport bikes like the top end BMW GS R1200's and R1150's. I just sold my last bike yesterday and am looking for a smaller interim bike for mostly commuting around Los Angeles and the odd trip out of town with the boys. I have been looking at both the FZ1 and the FZ6 bikes as possible candidates as second hand versions can be found under 3K and I don't want to spend a bunch of cash on something that I am not going to keep long term. I prefer upright riding ergos with a custom screen (I do this for all my bikes). I would like some advice on the FZ6 vs the S2 models (differences etc) as well as advice from anyone who has ridden both bikes on my list and their thoughts. For the record I am 5' 9" and 170lbs.

Cheers!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Daz. First of all, Welcome to the forum!

It would work better if you posted your question by starting another thread, perhaps in the FZ6 General Discussion sub-forum. This lets people find their way to your question and the answers more easily.

Quite a few people here have ridden the FZ6 then switched to the FZ1 or other bikes, tsk, tsk. My 2008 is my first bike in 25 years so I won't comment on the larger bikes. But I will say that I'm glad I got the FZ6 rather than the FZ6R.

Chris