New Member- looking to buy an FZ6

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone! I finally decided to join the forum. After a long time of doing research and comparing bikes, I think I have finally decided on an FZ6. I will be waiting until next spring to purchase it however. I wish I didn't have to but I am deciding to do the mature thing and pay down some bills and debt first.

The only thing that worries me a little is that I have read the suspension on the FZ6 isn't that great, as in too soft and not fully adjustable. I was hoping that some of you could help me out with exactly what this means. I will be buying an 07 or newer. I live in Toronto and will be using it for a lot of touring as well as commuting. I am 6'3 and 215 pounds. I was wondering how 2 up with my girlfriend would be and so on.

Any help you guys could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing that will stop me from buying an FZ6 is a Triumph Street Triple R (I am in love with that bike). But it's about 90% in favour of the FZ6 because it is a better sport tourer.

Great forum and community!!! Take care everyone and have a wonderful day!

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
First off :welcome: to the forum. Well I am not quite as big as you, i am 6' and 185 lbs not including gear however putting the preset to the max with my housemate on the back he is about 6'2-3 180-190 lbs not including gear and it was a little squishy but not too bad at all. So with your lady you should be fine:thumbup:

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maximum load for this bike is 419 pounds, so you'll have to figure out how close to that you're getting with your lady on back and full gear for both.
I only weigh 160 without gear and my wife is 115 without gear. 2-up I crank the rear shock to 6 (7 is tightest setting) for proper sag.
For solo riding, the bike will work perfectly, but if you'll be doing a lot of 2-up, you may have to end up going with aftermarket spring or full shock.
Same may apply to fork.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! I kept my stock suspension for over a year and was fine two up. I am 5'2" and 250+lbs. the only time I had any real problem was crossing a crested road (going to fast in order to beat a red light) and had the bike lightly bottom out. Other than that it is fine for everyday commuting/2 up/canyon carving/drag racing/etc. it is a great all around bike. :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 1.81m and 92kg. My wife is 1.7m and 60kg. I do 95% of my riding two up, the bike is 5 years old and the suspension has been perfect from day one until today. Don't worry about it. The Fazer is a perfect bike, just buy it and have fun!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
one other thing I might add is the bike Will cost more in spring when everyone is buying bikes. If there is any way you can do it sooner or wait some more you will probably come out better for it!

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
one other thing I might add is the bike Will cost more in spring when everyone is buying bikes. If there is any way you can do it sooner or wait some more you will probably come out better for it!

Yeah that's the only thing that sucks. I wish it could be different but most of my year end bonus won't hit until February.

So, i figure i will just buy all my gear and anything else that I need/ want this year and be fully ready to ride come spring. I know i will be paying more but I would like to finish paying off some debt before i buy my bike.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd see if you can get a test ride somehow. I was amazed to be able to test drive two FZ6's before I bought one. Only looked at two also! Anyway, suspension is more preference and should be felt for comfort, both cushiness and safety. Before my FZ6 I had a 2001 R6 with fully adjustable suspension and I had it in all ranges. Never really found a spot that I liked more than another but it was nice to have the option.

That being said, I'm 6' 210lbs and very happy with the stock suspension. It's much softer than I rode on the R6 but I don't run it as hard either so it fits. 2 up is fine also. A little more rebound than I'd like on big highway dips but we both still feel very safe.

Best of luck, and take test rides whenever you can!

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd see if you can get a test ride somehow. I was amazed to be able to test drive two FZ6's before I bought one. Only looked at two also! Anyway, suspension is more preference and should be felt for comfort, both cushiness and safety. Before my FZ6 I had a 2001 R6 with fully adjustable suspension and I had it in all ranges. Never really found a spot that I liked more than another but it was nice to have the option.

That being said, I'm 6' 210lbs and very happy with the stock suspension. It's much softer than I rode on the R6 but I don't run it as hard either so it fits. 2 up is fine also. A little more rebound than I'd like on big highway dips but we both still feel very safe.

Best of luck, and take test rides whenever you can!

Yeah I definitely want to test ride one, I haven't even had the pleasure of even sitting on one yet. I've been to 3 dealers and none of them had one in stock. I would like to buy brand new, only because I am no mechanic and the last bike I owned was my YZ-80 when I was 13. I don't really want to purchase a dud. Plus, i probably won't get to buy something new for a very long while. Now is the time lol. thanks for your help!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:welcome: Enjoy and Ride Safe.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider a used FZ, you can get a great bike for about 1/2 the price :thumbup:

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Enjoy and Ride Safe.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider a used FZ, you can get a great bike for about 1/2 the price :thumbup:

I will if I can find a decent '07 or newer around the time I am ready to purchase. If there is nothing available after a week or two I may just go new.

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
I have also ready about them being buzzy. As in vibations coming from the handlebars and footpegs. Has anyone found this a problem? Is it tolerable, fixable etc?

Thanks again!