New Member from NJ

SteevT311

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I am Steve and I am from NJ. I don't have a bike yet, but I am going to look at one this weekend and if all is well I will purchase it. I wanted to get some feedback from you all to make sure I'm not missing something. This will be my first bike, I jut got my license a few months ago.

I am looking at a 2009 FZ6 with >38k miles. That seems high, but I also know people that have FZs with well over 60K miles on them and are running strong. Bike has tons of upgrades and al work was reportedly professionally done. Valve adj not done yet, according to seller the mechanic said it wasn't needed yet. Based on that alone, would anyone have any concerns? Price is good, in my opinion, especially for a first bike for a noob rider.

Thanks everyone, I look fwd to your input!

Dkobra

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello and welcome!

Glad to have fellow members from the NY/NJ area.

Bike sounds good. Fz6 can go on forever. What kind of work does it have done?

If it doesnt work out, i may be interested in selling my baby (08 fz6 black , many upgrades).

Good luck!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The mileage isn't an issue IF MAINTAINED. See if he has a maintenance log.. It should have a new chain (and sprockets).

If the valves have never been checked /adjusted, they really need to be. Their supposed to be checked at 26,500 miles. You might want to get a quote (if you don't do it) from a REPUTABLE SHOP and use that when negotiating price..

If its been decently maintained, obviously it shouldn't be beaten up, etc.

Vegas ^^, got well over 100,000 miles on his before "defecting" :spank:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The mileage isn't an issue IF MAINTAINED. See if he has a maintenance log.. It should have a new chain (and sprockets).

If the valves have never been checked /adjusted, they really need to be. Their supposed to be checked at 26,500 miles. You might want to get a quote (if you don't do it) from a REPUTABLE SHOP and use that when negotiating price..

Second this. The valve check is very late and will probably be expensive.

Remember, you can always walk away.

Edit: Also ask him if the bike has been stored outside or in, under a cover or not. If it's been exposed to the elements it will likely have plenty of bad seals. For evidence of poor storage, compress the forks a few times and see if there's fork fluid on the stanchions, run your finger around the edges of the engine to check for leaking gaskets, etc.

Last edited:

SteevT311

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello and welcome!

Glad to have fellow members from the NY/NJ area.

Bike sounds good. Fz6 can go on forever. What kind of work does it have done?

If it doesnt work out, i may be interested in selling my baby (08 fz6 black , many upgrades).

Good luck!

Thanks Dkobra! It has a few aesthetic mods, lighting upgrades, frame sliders, delkevic exhaust, Oxford heated grips, new chain, new plugs, and a stronger cool down fan. I'm only looking to spend $2-3k on a first bike and this one I am looking at fits the bill.

Thanks for the warm welcome, if things work out we should meet up for a ride sometime!

SteevT311

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks for the advice! Seller said the valves were checked but did not need adjusting. A good friend of mine is a highly skilled auto tech and will be checking it out with me. He will also be doing any and all maintenance with me so I know I'm covered there. Seller said they were easy miles, I guess we'll see.... And 100K, wow!!!

SteevT311

Reaction score
Visit site
Second this. The valve check is very late and will probably be expensive.

Remember, you can always walk away.

Edit: Also ask him if the bike has been stored outside or in, under a cover or not. If it's been exposed to the elements it will likely have plenty of bad seals. For evidence of poor storage, compress the forks a few times and see if there's fork fluid on the stanchions, run your finger around the edges of the engine to check for leaking gaskets, etc.

Thanks for this advice Water Bear, I will definitely be looking for leaks. Seller said the bike was always stored indoors but I have no idea if it as covered.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you're good to go. If a mechanic checked it then the service was done.

Good luck and welcome to the forum! I hope it works out for you, and you have many happy miles. :thumbup:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, fellow 'Garden State-er'. I am in Bergen county and have been a member since 2012, when I picked up my 05 with 3k miles. She just ticked over 41k and as said before, with regular maintenance (and no abuse), she'll last a long time. You will also find the forum members here are extremely helpful and willing to assist.

On a side note, you mention that this is your first bike. Be careful as you two get to know each other. She has a split personality. Shift her at 4500-5000 and she is tame and docile. Take her above 7000 and hold on. She gets 'enthusiastic' :).

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"Doctor Jeckylle and Mr Hyde!"

Absolutely. The first time you crack that throttle above 7-8000 RPM will be an eye-opening experience. It's not a bad first bike, despite that. Fairly low torque at low RPM makes the power pretty manageable.

Get a quote for insurance and a quote for a maintenance checkup from a shop before you go look at the bike. Even if you plan on doing the work yourself, it's good to have an idea of how many hours of labor a shop thinks it will take. (Valve adjustment took me 5-6 hours, which is by far the most involved part of the maintenance.)

Unless you are very lucky, you are going to find things wrong and broken after you buy a bike. Check the most critical bits and things that indicate it has been taken care of: Oil, chain & sprockets, tires, brakes (pads, rotors, fluid), lights, fork seals and steering head bearings. Make sure it starts okay cold. When you check the headlights, only the left will light up on low beam. That's normal.

There's a pretty comprehensive new-bike checklist on the AMA website, but I think it actually lists too many things, some of which are not practical to check at a purchase inspection. If you and the seller are both willing, checking the charging system with a multimeter isn't an awful idea, but it requires taking off some plastics and lifting the tank unless they have a battery tender lead installed.

Oh, and standard new-rider stuff: Please, please take a basic rider course if you haven't, and invest in gear before you get on a bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you and the seller are both willing, checking the charging system with a multimeter isn't an awful idea, but it requires taking off some plastics and lifting the tank unless they have a battery tender lead installed..

Actually, with a pointy probe, you CAN get to the positive terminal WITHOUT touching the tank.
Peek in there in- between the tank and frame and you'll see the red plastic cover positive cover.

Use your probe to push it slightly out of the way, use the frame as a ground and you have a direct connection to the battery.

SteevT311

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, fellow 'Garden State-er'. I am in Bergen county and have been a member since 2012, when I picked up my 05 with 3k miles. She just ticked over 41k and as said before, with regular maintenance (and no abuse), she'll last a long time. You will also find the forum members here are extremely helpful and willing to assist.

On a side note, you mention that this is your first bike. Be careful as you two get to know each other. She has a split personality. Shift her at 4500-5000 and she is tame and docile. Take her above 7000 and hold on. She gets 'enthusiastic' :).

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate how awesome you and everyone on here have been. Glad to be joining the FZ family (hopefully!!!)