New member from Maryland, USA

koenigcitizen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, guys,
I am a new rider. I have about 4000 miles under my belt in the last 8 months on my Ninja 250r, and I recently purchased a 2009 Yamaha FZ6 with 800 miles on it.

I like the bike, but 300 miles later, I still cant get used to twitchy throttle. If you close the throttle, and then roll on (as gentle as I can, mind you), the bike lurches forward every time. Is that how this bikes are? Or maybe something needs to be adjusted? It makes the sweepers less enjoyable, cause I get that lurch when I am leaned into the corner.

Anyway, I am working on being really smooth on the bike. :)

I want to take it to the dealer for them to check it out, change oil, and make sure it is ready to be ridden 100%.

Anything extra I should ask them to do considering it is a 3 year old motorcycle that has barely been ridden? Change all the fluids, inspect and lube cables, adjust chain. Anything else?

Thanks! :)

I was referred her by a member of ninjette.org who also has an FZ6. :)

If anyone is in Ocean City, Salisbury, MD area, let me know! Always looking for people to ride with :)

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome - you'll find everything you need and more here.

The throttle twitch is something I would like to focus on next. I'm a new owner as well and yea - gentle roll on = punch in the back. It is not anomaly on just your bike.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!!

I'm also relatively new to the FZ6 and it seems that the trottle "issue" you came across is pretty common. Just have to get to know it. You could also try lubricating your throttle cables. Some have said it has helped.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lubing the throttle cables, and keeping chain slack on the low end of spec. can help. A throttle tamer (~$80) may help some, too. But part of the problem is probably from the fuel cut, which is an EPA-mandated rule that makes the fuel/air mix close to zero when the throttle is not high enough to cause acceleration. Because our bikes are light and have a lot of engine braking, it's real noticeable. I've read that raising the idle can help some. The best fix for it is a reprogrammed ECU from what I hear. (Search for "ECUunleashed".) But a Power Commander (III or V) or Juice Box, preferably with a dyno tune, may be about as good. A guy on the FZ1 forum makes a fuel cut eliminator (FCE) for the FZ1, but as yet no big-brained individual has done so for the FZ6.

I'm not sure if Euro or Asian FZ6es have the fuel cut. Anybody else know?