New Member and New Rider - 2007 FZ6

Ragnar

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all - I'm new to this site and on-road riding. I grew up almost physically attached to a Yamaha enduro which my dad bought for me before I was able to put both feet on the ground. I lived on that thing and logged hundreds if not thousands of hours on the trails/fields. I rode it right up until I moved out to go to college.

Fast forward a couple years and I wanted a street bike bad but have one of those worrisome moms (more so than most) who works for one of the big insurance companies. Since no motorcycle riders call her to say that they just went out for a ride and didn't crash, she only hears about the bad incidents. This only adds to her worrying because she has kind of an odd career-driven perspective on the world of motorized vehicles.

Fast forward a couple more years to this year and we had a family friend who was a total health nut drop dead mid-conversation of a brain hemorrhage. I decided that since we could go at any minute, I'd stop living in fear (within reason). So with a crew cab Sierra sucking my wallet dry at 15 mpg I decided to start looking for bikes. I'm really picky, and knew my choice would come down to one make, one model, and likely one color. Sure enough I found myself determined to find a 07-newer Yamaha FZ6 in red (matches my Sierra and my last truck).

I found one with under 7,000 miles on it for $4000. Completely spotless minus two small scratches which will buff out.

Anyway I wasn't prepared to spend $4,000 because I wanted a faster return on investment. I told the guy I'd have to pass because it's more than I wanted to spend. He asked me what I was looking to spend so I told him $3,000. He told me if I bought it then and there (well, had to go to the bank), I could have it for that price. So I pretty much stole the thing, especially since it has brand new tires and brakes on it.

I have a road test coming up in mid-July. After that I'd like to take the Learn to Ride Course, even though I have their book next to me handed down from one of the instructors to my boss.

...and by the way, my mom started hitting me with a rolled up newspaper when I told her.

Let's see if this'll work:

Hope to contribute as well as learn from some of you guys.

Last edited:

Ragnar

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh and I should add that it's bone stock minus the flush mount turn signals in front and the turn signals incorporated into the tail light.

My first course of action is to put actual turn signals back on the front and back. I'd prefer it if everyone in the world knew that I was turning.

Also - I changed the oil and filter immediately. Used the Yamaha 4T Racing because I'm a bit of a Mobil 1 fan. I haven't used anything but Mobil 1 products in about 11-12 years.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the family :D
She truly is a beauty!!! :drool: and at $3000, you did steal it :Flash: Make sure you aren't wanted :scared::BLAA:

As for the turn signals: the front ones look like they're a pair of Watsen's flush mounts.... (I can't tell for sure from tha picture) If they are, keep them as they are brit as hell :thumbup:
Otherwise, Rizoma makes some killer (but pricey) indicators as well :)

Grtz,

Degake

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to this fine forum and motorcycle. Yes LED turn signals are the best and brightest. Very nice FZ6 I am sure you will love it. Mine is an 07 also but the fast blue one. LOL. Enjoy your new toy but please ride safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's pretty crazy out there with all the cell phones and other distractions.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! As mentioned, helluva deal! I'm sure you would have found out when you did the title transfer if it were stolen or not - lol. But you certainly stole it!

Anyway, great purchase and well done on wanting to take the riding/safety courses. Enjoy your new baby and stay safe!

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
:welcome: to the best forum on the planet.
Really nice bike and the price, wow.
Your mom smacked you with a newspaper, that's a good one.
I had to hide my first bike from my mom even though I was married at the time and not living at home, but she was a real worry wort, bless her heart.:D

Jerry

Ragnar

Reaction score
Visit site
...It's pretty crazy out there with all the cell phones and other distractions.

Yeah I've already seen my fair share of distracted drivers. On my first ride I found myself at a stop sign looking across passing traffic to the lady at the opposite stop sign. She was on her phone and looking through her glove box. I made eye contact with her, put a pretend pinky-and-thumb phone to my head then pretended to slam it down while mouthing, "Get off the phone!"

She hung up her phone. I actually found it entertaining at the moment, but know that it's a real danger.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the forum and nice bike, should of held off and gotten the fastest blue one, definitely a steal at this price, enjoy and be safe out there

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Great looking bike at a great price! Pay no attention to the jealous slower blue version members! Red is the best and fastest color! :rockon:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice find, that is a steal especially during the peak of riding season!

I have had my FZ6 since it was new and it's a great, reliable, practical motorcycle that can be a lot of fun once you learn the basics and get a handle on control and cornering.

As for safety, we all know it's dangerous but so is driving a car or taking the bus. The best ways to increase your level of safety:

1. Learn to ride well, take the safety course, advanced rider course, etc.
2. Practice swerves and fast stops in a parking lot any chance you get.
3. Assume all driver's do NOT see you and be ready to react without panic braking!
4. Wear bright colored gear! You might not look as cool at the biker punks but a white or silver helmet and bright colored jacket or vest makes a huge difference to driver's seeing you, especially on the interstate where drivers love to change lanes without turning their heads.
5. Don't be too cool to use your turn signals all the time and your 4-way flashers when stopped at a red light with no cars immediately behind you. Driver's on their cell phones are more likely to see a blinking light than a solid brake light! It's saved me a few times.
6. Always were proper protective gear! No skin should be exposed but your neck! If you ride long enough, everyone eventually goes down, usually minor. How you fair in a spill depends on your skill level, a bit of luck and greatly on the quality of your gear!

Ride safe and most of all have fun! Life is too short to live in regret.

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
That might be an interesting poll: "Does your mom know you own a motorcycle?"

Good choice of years and great color. You'll love that bike.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Great price that really is a steal!!! I just recently bought mine and had to fork over $4,700. Although I did go to a dealer and they wouldn't budge from book value so it's partly my fault.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations man! You will love the FZ. I have an '06 that was bought under similar circumstances. ie.-an offer I couldn't refuse.

Put some miles on her!:thumbup:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: from Texas:cheer:

You must be a very smart guy, to know to look for the fast red color.:BLAA:

Great deal.:thumbup:

Ragnar

Reaction score
Visit site
...You must be a very smart guy, to know to look for the fast red color...

Yeah, I was originally going to get a blue one, but figured with my job in a professional field I need to consider how I look to the general public. I just couldn't gamble with my credibility. Therefore red was the obvious choice...:BLAA:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I was originally going to get a blue one, but figured with my job in a professional field I need to consider how I look to the general public. I just couldn't gamble with my credibility. Therefore red was the obvious choice...:BLAA:

You are a wise man! With the money you save on gas be sure to buy good gear from head to toe.

Ragnar

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd provide an update as to what I've done to my FZ6 since purchasing it and general summary of my riding experiences over the last few weeks.

To the bike:

* Mobil 1 4T Racing
* K&N Oil Filter
* K&N Air Filter
* Cleaned & Lubed Chain
* Drained, Flushed, and Replaced Coolant
* Disconnected Tail Light Integrated Turn Signals and Installed OEM Rears
* Disconnected Front Flush Mounted Signals (cheap pieces of junk). OEM Fronts arriving today.
* Lubed Moving Parts
* NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
* Fuel System Treatment and Switched to Locally Available Ethanol-Free 91
* Cleaned and Waxed Bike
* Adjusted Idle to Spec
* Polished Exhaust (as seen on this forum)
* Adjusted Chain Tension (it was making a whining noise and a thread on this forum helped me ID the problem. It was too tight.)

I'd like to do the headlight mod so both are on at the same time, as well as sync my TBs. Beyond that I like the stock look, though I wouldn't mind making it a naked bike at some point.

As far as riding - I've racked up about 400 miles so far and have really, really enjoyed every one of them. My county is packed with motorcycles so general awareness is pretty high. No close-calls, tailgating, etc. I still pretend everyone is drunk though.

I've found that most of my roads are pretty straight with only minor bends and I'm ok with that. I also haven't had any desire to drive fast or rip around any corners.

My road test is on Wednesday, and once I get my license the FZ will be my commuter vehicle. 18 miles each way, most of which is a straight 45 mph stretch of road with pretty low traffic. The real test will be once I get into the city and have to deal with those drivers.

Anyway I've found a lot of helpful information on this site so far and hope to continue checking in daily. Also, two members gave me pretty good deals on OEM turn signals. The Yamaha Dealer wanted double what it would cost to outfit my bike with Rizomas.

Last edited: