New Fz6

jmckeown88

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I thought I'd introduce myself, I've been lurking around here for the last few weeks getting info, etc. Just purchased a 2007 fz6 with a little over 12k miles. The PO took great care of her and she looks brand new!

photo1-1.jpg

Only thing he'd swapped out is the yammi touring screen.

So far it's been a blast to ride, I actually owned an fz6r (bought it brand new for the 2010 riding season) and sold it in the spring of 2011, so I've been out of the saddle for about 18 months - it's great to be back. The 6r wasn't a bad bike at all, but the 6 is so much better!

I picked up oil & filter for her first change (of my ownership, PO changed at 400, 3000, 5000, 8000, and 11000).

Anyone have any oil recommendations? ;)
(no please - I don't want to actually read ANY more about oil - though for those curious I do amsoil/K&N filter)

Thanks,
Jonathan

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the best forum on the interwebz! As for oil, a lot of people including me use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 full synthetic oil. It's about $23 a gallon at walmart.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Great looking motorcycle. However its the slow red color! I'm sure you will enjoy your time on it and on this forum. Great people and lots of great ideas for mods to your new toy. RIDE SAFE AND ENJOY THE RIDE!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and that's a great looking bike!

Have run Shell Rotella synthetic like outasight20 recommended form many mikes. It seemed to "wear out" quicker than others (maybe my imigination but seemed like more noise etc. Last spring I switched to RedLine 10W40 which in my opinion makes smoother shifts. Last change used Castrol RS 10W40 and it is not quite as good as teh RedLine based on shifting and the "clunk" when putting it into first. That probably has to do with the "drag" the oil creates between the clutch plates when the clutch is disengaged. All that said I of the opinion most oils are OK as long as they are changed frequently enough - i.e. before they start to break down and loose some of their properties.

jmckeown88

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the welcoming words... I was sort of joking about oil rec's (as people seem to get so heated about it!)

I've found what works for me and plan on sticking to it ;)