New FZ6 owner from Alaska

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys.

Just bought an '07 FZ6 yesterday with 5000 miles for $4700. Great deal for me.

I've been riding for a couple of years, but its been on a Ninja 500. With just about twice as much horsepower, this thing rips.

I love this bike. Heres a picture from the day I got it.

n655320998_1769584_7599502.jpg

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum! Hope you are enjoying your new bike! Use the search function, ride safe and post often!!

§teph

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Wildman, welcome to the group.:welcome:
What's your typical riding season in Alaska? I live in New England where I comfortably ride from April-November, and I wish it was a longer season.
Enjoy the new ride.

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome !

Where in Alaska are you ? I have a cousin in Wasilla...been up there a couple of times.

Have fun, and watch out for the Moose !!!

Ben

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
As someone from the opposite side of the world I didn't imagine Alaska to be the most bike friendly environment! Have fun, you won't regret your purchase.

You'd be correct in saying that. Although, with riding in our blood... it doesn't really matter where we live, we still find roads to ride on.

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Wildman, welcome to the group.:welcome:
What's your typical riding season in Alaska? I live in New England where I comfortably ride from April-November, and I wish it was a longer season.
Enjoy the new ride.

Our season is actually pretty close to yours. Depending on your personal inner heater, I guess. I personally choose not to ride in sub 40 degrees, otherwise I freeze. Late April/Early May - October... usually.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome,

Enjoy your new ride and we look forward to hearing your experiences. Take care and enjoy the riding season.

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
Went out riding today... Stopped at the local airstrip. Thats my friend's Vstrom next to mine.

Here's a pic. Enjoy!
n655320998_1774453_2971427.jpg

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just had to respond to this thread, just the though of Alaska may cool me down. It hit 102 today here in Vegas, and I spent all day on black top on the MSF range and I'm still tyring to cool off. At least there will be 10 new licenced riders. Welcome to the forum.

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Ride Safe :thumbup:

Nice choice on the color, Red is faster :rockon:

Actually, when I bought it, I hated the red. I'm a huge fan of blue....

But now I love it.. Funny, after riding it for a day, the color really doesn't matter

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I was born in Anchorage, and moved to Juneau when I was four. Remained there until a I graduated high school in 1989. I come back to Junea every year or two to visit family. So many fun outdoor things to do there. Of course you never know what you have when you are there.

Would be a crappy place to ride a motorcycle, however. Salt on the roads in the winter rusts out everyone's vehicle. And there longest road from one corner to the other is only 40 miles. You can't take roads out of the city - ocean in front , mountains that make the border of Canada in back, fjord to the south, and glacier to the north.

The riding situation would have improved however, if one of the crackpot governors had his way. He wanted to use nuclear weapons to melt the glacier so a road could be put through.

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
I was born in Anchorage, and moved to Juneau when I was four. Remained there until a I graduated high school in 1989. I come back to Junea every year or two to visit family. So many fun outdoor things to do there. Of course you never know what you have when you are there.

Would be a crappy place to ride a motorcycle, however. Salt on the roads in the winter rusts out everyone's vehicle. And there longest road from one corner to the other is only 40 miles. You can't take roads out of the city - ocean in front , mountains that make the border of Canada in back, fjord to the south, and glacier to the north.

The riding situation would have improved however, if one of the crackpot governors had his way. He wanted to use nuclear weapons to melt the glacier so a road could be put through.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I lived in Juneau for 8 years before moving to Wasilla. I was 5 when we moved to Juneau, from Nebraska... So I had to live through 14, in the everyday rain that is Juneau. You're right, there is no place to go, unless you leave on a boat or plane. I'm perfect, right here in Palmer. I still run into the same issues, as not too many roads to ride.

But, once I hit my 5 year and I'm vested with my company, then I can move wherever I want, then they will fly me back and forth every 2-3 weeks to head to the slope.

CoFZ6

Junior Newbie Trainee
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to live in the Valley between Palmer and Wasilla. My daughter was born at Palmer Hospital, my son was born in Anchorage. Bogard Road used to end at Trunk Road, before they punched it thru and built the high school. I lived back off Engstrom Road. Lived there for four years and Anchorage for four years. Miss it badly every summer. But only in the summer. ;)

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a couple more for you.

Tomorrow, I'm going to go up to Hatcher's Pass (very windy road) and take a few pics. Should be good.

Enjoy!:thumbup:

4730_84873830998_655320998_1785142_1098037_n.jpg

n655320998_1785143_5766422.jpg