New FZ1

Nedlob

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a honda ST1300 and have been looking for a good comutter bike. I narrowed it down to between the FZ! and FZ6. Yesterday I cut a deal on an 2006 FZ6 which I will pick up tommarow. I hope that I made a good choice. I could not find a FZ1 at a reasonable price in my area and when I cut a deal to purchase the FZ1 from a guy in Pa. He changed his mind at the last minute, so I decided to take the FZ6. My concern is that it may not be enough power. I have never riden one but I love the riding position stance. I'm hoping it doesn't feel like riding on a lawnmore engine. can anyone comment on the power of FZ6?

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a honda ST1300 and have been looking for a good comutter bike. I narrowed it down to between the FZ! and FZ6. Yesterday I cut a deal on an 2006 FZ6 which I will pick up tommarow. I hope that I made a good choice. I could not find a FZ1 at a reasonable price in my area and when I cut a deal to purchase the FZ1 from a guy in Pa. He changed his mind at the last minute, so I decided to take the FZ6. My concern is that it may not be enough power. I have never riden one but I love the riding position stance. I'm hoping it doesn't feel like riding on a lawnmore engine. can anyone comment on the power of FZ6?

Unless you ride 2up a lot I think you'll find 600cc is "enough" power. And you'll definitely like the economy - probably 50% better than what you're used to on the ST 1300 or the FZ1 that you will be SO GLAD you didn't get.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
if you want to talk strictly numbers concerning power

the ST1300 has an advertised dry weight of 659lbs and a curb weight of 730lbs pushed by 117hp @ 8,000rpm

the FZ6 has an advertised dry weight of 423lbs (~490lbs wet by my estimate) pushed by 98hp @ 12,000rpm

the ST does however have twice the torque.

in a nutshell your ST weighs over 50% more with only 20% more power.

Last edited:

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site

the ST1300 has an advertised dry weight of 659lbs and a curb weight of 730lbs pushed by 117hp @ 8,000rpm

the FZ6 has an advertised dry weight of 423lbs (~490lbs wet by my estimate) pushed by 98hp @ 12,000rpm

PS: Don't forget to add the rider weight if you compute power / weight.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
... I'm hoping it doesn't feel like riding on a lawnmore engine. can anyone comment on the power of FZ6?

It has tons of power, just don't lug the engine. Small I4's like this aren't built to be lugged at lower rpms. That's all you have to remember. If you find it not having enough power, you're not in the right gear. You'll need to learn this. Oh and it doesn't hurt the engine being in a high rpm range, probably hurts it more lugging it along.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with some of the others that it depends on what kind of rider you are. I personally know of at least one FZ1 owner that wishes he had my FZ6 instead b/c he never uses the extra power of that his bike has and would have liked the slightly smaller size/weight of the the FZ6. Of course he's got way more motor which would be a big deal if you want to use it. Again like others have said the FZ6 does have good power if you're willing to use the rev's to get at it.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My question is why is your ST1300 not a commuter bike? A friend of mine has one and he commutes on it everyday. I'm not see how another motorcycle will enhance your commute when you already have a great bike.

As far as powder My FZ6 will spank him every day. Simply tap down two gears and I'm gone. That said he is much more comfortable than I am. The ST is one hellva bike.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with some of the others that it depends on what kind of rider you are. I personally know of at least one FZ1 owner that wishes he had my FZ6 instead b/c he never uses the extra power of that his bike has and would have liked the slightly smaller size/weight of the the FZ6. Of course he's got way more motor which would be a big deal if you want to use it. Again like others have said the FZ6 does have good power if you're willing to use the rev's to get at it.

OT : I ordered the SH50 and rack and they are still in transit from Europe. Are you sure that Shad rack is compatible with Givi?

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
OT : I ordered the SH50 and rack and they are still in transit from Europe. Are you sure that Shad rack is compatible with Givi?

Not 100% but I'm also not concerned about making a few modifications to get it to. My Givi is backordered until Sept but I should have the rack today or Monday which will be the first look into what I'm up against. My wife ordered the stuff for my birthday and the shop indicated that they had fit givi cases to the shad rack at their shop but hadn't sold another similar setup for self-install. A piece of me is saying - it's a rack and a "universal rack-mounted case", how hard could it be? - but maybe I just don't know

It was a long process for me to decide on which rack and case combo but I really didn't want the givi rack (aftermarket exhaust fit concerns and general asthetics) so hence the shad rack. On the case front, I'm not sure I'll love having a top case and figured a givi case would be easier to sell-off if I don't like it. Also, I've never been able to check out a Shad case in person and even though people who have them like them that disuaded me a little.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
there is a big difference between the st1300 and the fz but it certainly won't feel like a lawnmover. None of the lawnmovers I've seen do 0-60mph in 3secs :d
You will realize the lack of torque but by keeping the bike at lower gears will take care of that..
I'm wondering why you would look for a commuting bike when you have the st.
You won't regret it.it's much more flexible than the st

Nedlob

Reaction score
Visit site

Excellent Point. Well I will find out on Monday. After picking up the FZ6 on Friday it was too late for me to make it to DMV and get tags (its a very long weekend). DMV does not distribute tags on Saturdays only Drivers licenses. First thing Monday I will be the first in line at DMV, and Monday is my day off. I can't wait to hit the asphalt.:Flash::Flash:

Nedlob

Reaction score
Visit site
My question is why is your ST1300 not a commuter bike? A friend of mine has one and he commutes on it everyday. I'm not see how another motorcycle will enhance your commute when you already have a great bike.

As far as powder My FZ6 will spank him every day. Simply tap down two gears and I'm gone. That said he is much more comfortable than I am. The ST is one hellva bike.

I agree the ST is an excellent bike, but I needed a smaller bike for a different mood. sometimes I feel like something lighter with a bit more Zip to it. Its looking as though I will have the best of both worlds.

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL!!!!

I like that..No Lawn mowers here hah? .. What does it mean to lug the engine?

to run below about 3-4K...basically when the engine feels like it has no power because you are in too high a gear. congrats:thumbup:

Nedlob

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally picked up my tags this morning and mounted my new/used FZ6 with 1100 miles on it. It is going to take a bit of getting use to. It sounds like a lawnmore but I must admit it takes off and screams. I'm gonna have to get use to how it handles and responds. I've been so used to the ST1300's ride that this is quite a different handle. It is a beautiful bike though. Any tips?