• cover entire seat(sides)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ridge and sides

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
So after looking for a seat cowl, preferably one in Carbon Fiber, I found nothing. So I decided to start a project. I have molded a new design so that I can make a reverse mold and layup a fiberglass second model. However, the new design model is phase one. What do you think of the design? (color is just some paint I had in the garage.)
View attachment 33467

Keep in mind this is not a finished product just a design.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kind if intended it that way to work well with tail bags yet look good with no luggage. I am open to suggestions within reason.

This is pretty extreme, but you could chop the back half of the seat off, re-finish the seat, and make the cowl a bigger box, with a hinged lid!

Of course....no more pillion!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't really like the way it doesn't cover the whole of the pillion seat.
I like the low profile though :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, now i am not looking at this on my phone.....put a small ridge in the middle, to give it some depth across the top...you will still be able to put a bag on top if you desire! And i agree, it needs to cover the sides of the pillion seat.

:thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I like where you're going with it. I'd make it a bit rounder myself. And cover the seat all the way.

Other than that, it looks like you're headed the right way. Hope you put them up for sale once you're done.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I like it for serveral reasons.

I like being able to see some of the seat though the sides. Will look good when it's yellow and the black of the seat shows through!

I like the flat top for the purpose of being practical/usable for luggage. good thinking.

If you wanted a seat cowel that was more round and covered all the seat, then it would just be the same as all the other, off the shelf seat cowls out there! It's different!!

I say well done!

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very similiar to the Yamaha OEM offering. Much more satisfying doing it yourself though. Nice work. It'll be nice to see how you finish it off.

EchoLake08094.jpg

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
I like it, but I as well think that it could cover a little more seat. We you showed me earlier, I thought it went down a little further on the sides.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I like it, but I as well think that it could cover a little more seat. We you showed me earlier, I thought it went down a little further on the sides.

It did at one point. It use to conform to the seat were you can see the seat. However, on the bike the line just looked funny. The hand rails were casting a shadow on the model when fitted and I mirrored that line when I cut it back. I think the sharp curve flows with the bike better now.

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, the flat top makes sense now - didn't think about it being used as a stable platform for cargo. I'm up in the air about "showing seat" vs. "not showing seat". I kind of like the idea of the cowl making the bike look more like a 1-seater but I can also see it looking pretty cool on a non-black bike giving some contrast by having the seat partially show.

The obvious part to me is my jealousy of your abilities with fiberglass. ;)

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you plan on making the cowl stay on the seat??
I was going to do this last summer but didn't have the time, might get bored in the next two weeks and give it a go.

Last edited: