New CUSTOM mod

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I been working on this for a couple of weeks now and I'm officially content where its at.

I know people's opinions about this vary, but in my eyes, at night time - anything to help you be seen more is just an additional countermeasure to prevent any accidents - PLUS I think it adds a different aura to the bike.

View attachment 44695 View attachment 44696

So I built my own LED kit because I wanted one and I didn't want to pay 100$+ for a kit. I go to school for electronics, and I figured what better way to implement all this new knowledge than by building a basic LED kit.

It actually took a lot longer than I anticipated. I could have saved myself a lot of time, but I chose the from scratch route which gives me a certain satisfaction. I did everything. I assembled all the wires, and heat shrinked them. I researched various LED's and information about their specs, light dispersion, viewing angles, and current and voltage ratings. I also utilized simple 8-pin IC sockets as mounting pods for 4 LED's each pod.

I siliconed anything exposed, electric taped, and heat shrinked around it for heat and water protection. I bought designed, and used a kit to make my own circuit board. I designed it, laid the traces out, drilled the holes, and built the circuit board to fit snug in a project box housing I had bought. I bought all the components, wired them, soldered them to the HMCB (homemade circuit board? :D). I installed a double pull double throw switch I had laying around, a dimmer (pot), and a 1amp fuse. Then I went with silicon on the inside of the box to waterproof it.

I installed everything and it works great. I think it looks terrific. I left it on for almost 5 hours and the bike started up right away. It took me a long time to build this all - but it was fun and I'm happy how it turned out.

What do you all think of it?

By the way, I still have lots of spare materials and in some free time maybe I would consider building another one if anybody is interested - feel free to message me.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it looks great:thumbup: Even better that you have the satisfaction of building it yourself:rockon:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The green on black looks wicked- good work
thanks for sharing

Grim Chemical

MasterDebater
Reaction score
Visit site
I like it man, I at least you kept a solid color scheme in mind. Even a cool purple would go great with what you have. I totally agree with you, anything to get you seen (or heard from the looks of your exhaust) is a plus for safety. Thumbs up. I have a question in return.

I have PSR 3" diameter circular bar end mirrors and instead of putting normal LED turn signals on, I'd like to take an LED strip and install them into the casing of my mirrors (drilled holes would be necessary).

I also would like to do LED strips on the back end of my bike although I guess an integrated tail light would clean it up in a similar fashion....I modified the passenger grips and would like to wire up some LED's to the back end to get a clean look. Any suggestions as far as will I need something to regulate the voltage going to the LED strips, I have an LED relay already and can solder the connections pretty easily. I just don't want fast blinking lights...anything you think I should know before heading this project up?

Thanks again man, Take it easy.

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it looks great. Illegal where I live (great state of Maryland), and I think illegal in most states but it looks good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I like it man, I at least you kept a solid color scheme in mind. Even a cool purple would go great with what you have. I totally agree with you, anything to get you seen (or heard from the looks of your exhaust) is a plus for safety. Thumbs up. I have a question in return.

I have PSR 3" diameter circular bar end mirrors and instead of putting normal LED turn signals on, I'd like to take an LED strip and install them into the casing of my mirrors (drilled holes would be necessary).

I also would like to do LED strips on the back end of my bike although I guess an integrated tail light would clean it up in a similar fashion....I modified the passenger grips and would like to wire up some LED's to the back end to get a clean look. Any suggestions as far as will I need something to regulate the voltage going to the LED strips, I have an LED relay already and can solder the connections pretty easily. I just don't want fast blinking lights...anything you think I should know before heading this project up?

Thanks again man, Take it easy.

To be honest, I haven't installed LED signals. I've read about them and how many people have to install resistors if they're not built into the package - to keep the flash rate down. But without seeing the package you have, its hard to say.

I can say though about your rear pegs - if they're NOT integrated in with the tail light - it'd be super easy to throw together. I found mounting them in strategic places was the most difficult part. I could show you the schematic I drew for my box and I could try to help you modify it to your need....but as far as integrating it with the tail light, I don't have any experience there so I wouldn't want to misguide you.

I can look into your LED signals though if you tell me the brand and model and any specs you have for em.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I bought all the components, wired them, soldered them to the HMCB . I installed a double pull double throw switch I had laying around, a dimmer (pot), and a 1amp fuse.

What, you didn't go all the way and throw an ATMEGA8 at it and PWM those LEDs to get real dimming? ;)

I think that it looks pretty good in the picture.