New crash helmet how tight is too tight!!

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a new Shoei XR1000 crash helmet Sunday and on advice of the salesman went down two sizes from my XL (which was far too big) to M.
To me L felt okay but he inserted his finger(no jokes please!) where my forehead was and said if it fits then its too big and advised me to buy M.
Now I look like a hamster and although it feels really tight I hope it will give in time,so "How tight is too tight?" and am I in danger of a strangled head?:confused:

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same situation happen to me. Went from an XL HJC helmet which was way too loose to a M Arai Vector helmet which felt waaaay too tight! took about a month of steady riding before the helmet broke in and felt just about right. It is now snug but doesn't feel like its cutting off circulation to my brain! My only complaint now....wind noise at freeway speeds is unbearable without earplugs...even with a tall windscreen. Just my 2 cents worth.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
All good guidelines: http://www.bing.com/search?q=motorcycle+helmet+fit&filt=all

Generally, your equipment should be uncomfortable for a couple of weeks before it fits well. This has been my experience, and the MSF instructor mentioned this, as well as the salesperson where I got my stuff. Your salesman probably had the right idea. Obviously the risk is getting into a helmet that doesn't break in the way the salesman says it will. If they recommend a size and it doesn't work out, I would hope you can take it back. But I'd give it another week or so before I might concern myself with it.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
Trust the salesperson as they do it for a living and if they get it wrong they get a bad rep. I tried on a shoei raid 2 and was on the XL or even XXL size but the salesgirl checked the fit and got me into an L instead. She actually said you should look like a hamster in it if it's fitting right. After a couple of weeks it's the most comfortable helmet I've had.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Helmet fitting is very important. Just ask Speed Racer.

1996-12-10.gif

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you should mention wind noise as I bought a Caberg but only wore it twice as I couldnt stand the wind noise(sold it on e-bay).Like my old Shoei the new one is very quiet.
Must say thankyou to all of you for your advice,looks like I just have to wait for it to break in.
This really is a great forum.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My hat sixe is 7 3/8 and I wear a Shoei RF1000 in a M. It was very snug when new but it did settle. If your helmet moves it is too loose.

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the medium sized Arai in St George colours and sent it back as it was too tight. I then went to my local Heine Gerricke shop and tried on the large, the salesman in there said the L was too big and the M was right, it felt too tight and I wasn't convinced it would "give" enough so I got the caberg trip, noisy but comfy. I was also told if it feels tight across the forehead it's too small, wont give there and you'll get headaches due to restricted blood flow, most size M models did feel tight on me and the L's were only just too loose I must be an "in-between" size. The trip felt good from day one and even better 3 months on, I can also get it on and off without taking my glasses off!! Still got the hamster face!!

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my Arai I initially wanted large, but the salesman held it firm, got me to turn my head and said 'that's too much lateral movement'. I got the medium, and thought it was too small - felt like I couldn't close my teeth without biting the inside of my cheek. But after about a month it seemed to bed in, and now feels comfortable but still snug fitting.

With Arai you can buy different size pads to customize the cushioning to your face.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, with Arai, you should try different models. It is one of the few helmets that actually have different shells out there depending on the model and size. And depending on your head type, while one model may fit fine, others will not. At any case, yes, you want it tight enough that it will not slide around your head when you move your head.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been told by several people that a correct fitting helmet will have you just able to bite the inside of your cheeks :don'tknow: how true it is but it's a theory that i use and have never had an issue with a helmet moving around or being to tight :thumbup:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
If you get pain/headache ... it's to small.

Measuring your head is alway's good.
And try different models.

I had a Arai Chaser L ... to big ... Now I have a Arai Viper L perfect.
Same size, different fit.

But it's a pain in the ass sometimes finding the right helmet for you.

ps: Arai's don't losen/break in much over time. They fit right from day one.

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
My Shoei was uncomfortably tight for the first couple of weeks but then I got used to it. It is now five and a half years old and still fits snugly.

I mean I just got home and it does feel very tight on my forehead,I hope it will give a bit as I bought it from one of those clearance warehouses who told me there is no return.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
My Shoei was uncomfortably tight for the first couple of weeks but then I got used to it. It is now five and a half years old and still fits snugly.

From what i've read you ought to be looking at getting a replacement helmet.

The polystyrene breaks down over time. and the UV rays make the hard outter shell more brittle.

The figures from what I remember is that you want to be replacing your helmet every 3/4 years.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought an Icon Alliance Threshold Helmet in large and do the hamster thing. I found the stitching of the padding to create pinch point where the seams stitching made a bulge and used my finger to depress the foam a small amount so the seam can comfortably escape into the inner shell.

Now if the horrid chemical smell of the paint/glue/foam would fade away life would be good! I've had the liner out and a fan blowing through the helmet for a week now! :spank:

Tip - helmets stored in boxes need to air out! By them off the self!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my Arai I initially wanted large, but the salesman held it firm, got me to turn my head and said 'that's too much lateral movement'. I got the medium, and thought it was too small - felt like I couldn't close my teeth without biting the inside of my cheek. But after about a month it seemed to bed in, and now feels comfortable but still snug fitting.

With Arai you can buy different size pads to customize the cushioning to your face.

My Arai RX-7 Corsair and Shoei X-11 are exactly the same as your helmet. Snug enough that I can bite the inside of my cheeks if I'm not careful. Both are a size XL and both have the same exact fit (at least on my head). Nice and snug, but not tight enough to cause headaches.

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
This is just general guidelines

adult..Hat Size..............Inches..................CM
XS 6-5/8 - 6-3/4......20.87 - 21.26 in.....53-54cm
S 6-7/8 - 7............21.27 - 22.05 in.....55-56 cm
M 7-1/8 - 7-1/4......22.06 - 22.83 in.....57-58 cm
L 7-3/8 - 7-3/4......22.84 - 23.62 in.....59-60 cm
XL 7-5/8 - 7-7/8......23.63 - 24.41 in.....61-62 cm
XXL 7-7/8 - 8............24.42 - 25.20 in.....63-64 cm

Easiest way to test the fit of a brand new helmet, is to put it on. Ask yourself is it comfortable, if you answer yes go down one size. After a few weeks it'll break in to the point of being comfortable. If you dont ride enough, better start wearing your helmet while browsing the FZ6 forums worked for me ; )

Last edited: