New bike

skeezle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I'm new to this Forum. I just sold my Buell, and I am considering a 2005 Yamaha FZ6. The bike has 2,500 miles on it. The previous owner droped the bike with minimal damage. As far as I could see, everything has been replaced with OEM parts. The color is Black and Grey. However, most of the grey has been painted over. The front is all black and the handels on the back sead are also painted black. I believe the stock exhaust is also painted black. Everything seems to be painted well. Nothing is coming up.

Anyway, I just want to know if this is a good deal for 4,000. I rode my Buell for about 4,500 miles. I'm a farily experienced rider. The bike seems great! I love the idea that it looks and sounds and acts like a crotch rocket, but sits like a cruser.

Thanks for any advice!

S

sportrider

for a few grand more you could buy a brand new one, but if your happy with the price and the bike is clean go for it:thumbup:

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't advise much except I'd certainly ask about the drop. Was it stop-n-flop or at speed? Sounds like there was road rash on the bike & he's tried to cover it up w/paint. If it's purely cosmetic & you like it go for it.
That's low miles and if it hadn't been dropped I'd jump on it. This is up to you if you're satisfied w/the condition & his explaination.

skeezle

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya. I think the bike looks good. I do agree that for a few grand more I could get a brand now one. I may wait and see if he will go down on the price. I think that I would be happy paying $3,500 for it. Most of the paint looked ok. If I knew how, I would post a picture of it on here for you guys to see. I just dont want to pay too much for it. But it sounds like a great bike for me!

Thanks everyone for your quick reply!

S

sportrider

when you go to submit your post screen down, click on "manage attachments" browse your PC and upload the pic once it's done click the second submit post

skeezle

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok here are the pics. They aren't that great. Like i said, the paint on the parts that should be grey are the only downsides I see. Milage is sweet, tires look good, and it runs!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great low mileage, but those tires are 3-4 years old, even with minimal wear they're probably aged a bit, make sure to factor that in if/when you agree on a purchase price.
Good luck! :thumbup:

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
Make shure you look this bike over very carefully exspecially since you know it has been dropped. I would check even things like between the motor and trany in that valley, check the swingarm and its pivot point, and just check out useless stuff to see if he gets nervous about what you are looking at. If he gets nervous maybe he has something to hide. Dont get me wrong I wouldnt keep anybody from getting a FZ6. Well that is unless I wanted to buy it.

skeezle

Reaction score
Visit site
haha! Thanks everyone for your advice! I may have decided to pass on that bike. I found another FZ6 but its several miles away. The guy selling it lives close to 2 hours away. But, he is selling a Red (with the black motor) 2007 and asking $4000. I think its a great deal. It looks like the bike was laid down at low milage. There are three problems I'm slightly worried aobut. It has a dent in the gas tank where the handle bars turned into it (i'm guessing). It also has a scratch on the drivers side next to the headlight. I was wondering how much it might be to replace those two? Or if I could sand/paint the fairing and just forget about the tank. There is also some road rash on one of the rims. Does anyone think that will be a huge deal for resell later on?? I think i'm in love with the bike and willing to make the drive to pick it up.

Also, the bike has 2050 miles on it! I'm thinking its a good deal...

Thanks!

oscarg85

Reaction score
Visit site
nice man! its an 05, i have the same. if you have chance take it to your local dealership and they would change your tps for free. Just a factory problem after all.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Let's see:

You need a red fuel-tank and front fairing for an FZ6 S2. The rim is optional, based on the pictures I've seen.

Here's a store for you:
Yamaha of Warren | Yamaha OEM Parts

Price for Fuel Tank (Complete Assembly) - $427.26 US
[You may be able to contact them to strike a deal for just the jug]

Price for Front Fairing (Red, FZ6 S2) - $325.77 US
[Once again, you might be able to negotiate for ONLY the damaged part]

WAIT! WAIT!! HOLD ON JUST A SECOND!!!!

(Pulls out a magnifying glass...checks notes...looks again)

You lucky son of a bitch!!! Holy ****!! You are SO LUCKy!!

(Looks at pictures again)

Okay...look at this picture...

8251d1222308351-new-bike-dscn1343.jpg

Apparantly, that piece that's scratched is SEPERATE FROM THE WHOLE FRONT FAIRING. It will only cost you $62.00 US to replace that part! It's called the MOLE. You buy that, your entire front fairing will look brand new, spare for that little mark by the FZ6 decal lower down.

Finally, the front rim...that would set you back $417 US. Uhhh...you're better off to simply leave it. Actually, I think that price covers an entire NEW front wheel, including a stock tire. I could be wrong. Call them up and double check.

Last edited:

skeezle

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. What garbage.. I just found another bike similar to that one that has not been laid down. I may go for it insted.

Thanks for the advice and that website! I'll check it out!

I've been searching the site for lowering options. I'm a short guy, so I think that will need to be my frist mod. The stock spring is adjustable right? Does that lower it at all?

Thanks

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been searching the site for lowering options. I'm a short guy, so I think that will need to be my frist mod. The stock spring is adjustable right? Does that lower it at all?

Thanks

The rear shock is only adjustable for the ride; softens/stiffens the ride. It does not lower the ride on the bike. There is only one option that I know of for lowering the bike & that is: Lowering Kits for Motorcycles. Wild Hair Accessories. Motorcycle Accessories & Aftermarket European Parts.

skeezle

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok everyone, I got the bike! I decided to go with the 2007 even though it has some damage. I paid $3,600 so I think I got a good deal. anyway, I need some parts! Let me know if anyone has the parts i'm looking for.

Thanks!

S

sportrider

I'd check the run out on the rim, it's probably fine. the tank can be fixed if the dent bugs you. and if Elm is correct on the price for the scratched piece I'd just buy a new one. but it looks good Congrats!!! :thumbup:

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
You got the 2007? ALRIGHT!! Okay, here's what you do:

1) Buy a RED LEFT MOLE/FZ6 S2 for $62.00 US. Your front fairing will look practically brand new!

2) Buy a DENT-KING remover or ask that site for the cost of a RED FZ6 S2 Fuel tank; non-assembled. You want only the jug. If it cost $150.00 US or less...that might be a good deal!

3) I took another look at the rim and it doesn't look serious at all. It looks fine! Just check the tire pressure every so often and there you go!

4) The last thing I'd do (this is very important) is LOOK INSIDE the fuel tank. Check for any rust and crap, with a flashlight (not a lighter!!) You don't want any rust to go down your fuel pump or injectors. Other than that...Congratulations! You got an FZ6 S2, with 2000 miles, for only $3600 US? What a steal!!

Last edited: