New Belgian road rules

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The road rules in Belgium (with respect to motorbikes) have been updated since 1st of January 2011:

1) Although filtering has been tolerated in Belgium it is now officially allowed, as long as you don't ride faster than 50Km/h or more than 20Km/h faster than the traffic you're filtering past.

2) Protective motorcycle clothing is now compulsary, this includes protective jacket, trousers, boots & gloves ( of course helmets were already required by law).

3) It is now prohibited to park your bike on a sidewalk (path on side of road).

4) kids under 3 are not allowed on a motorbike, kids between 3 & 8 have to use special safety equipment and are restricted to riding pillion on 125cc or less. From 8 onwards kids are allowed to ride pillion on all bikes (of course they also have to wear protective clothing).

5) Quads can now be prohibited from certain area's as long as an appropriate traffic sign is shown (this sign is similar to a motorcycles prohibited sign as it shows a sideview of a quad, but its squarer)

6) Motorbikes with 3 wheels but that weigh less than 400kilo (for example piaggio MP3) are now allowed on the motorway.

7) Whilst riding both feet should always be on the footrests.

8) Postmen on mopeds don't have to wear a helmet.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
is filtering the same as the term lane splitting used by our united states folks?

anyway that is a natural thing for motorcycles, I don't get why our mates in the states can't do it except for California

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are times I see people here in the US and I wish there was a rule on protective clothing. I mean at least some jeans even though they don't offer much. At least a jacket! I think the protective clothing is a great rule. :rockon:
You see stuff here that's just not right....

Last edited:

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
Brilliant, thanks Mate, a few of us are staying in Lepur for a long weekend in June to visit the battle sites and cemeteries. It's always best to know the latest legislation.
Just one question, I often wear Kevlar denim jeans and Kevlar Cargo pants in the summer, do you know if this is considered protective as I don't want to get pulled over.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Brilliant, thanks Mate, a few of us are staying in Lepur for a long weekend in June to visit the battle sites and cemeteries. It's always best to know the latest legislation.
Just one question, I often wear Kevlar denim jeans and Kevlar Cargo pants in the summer, do you know if this is considered protective as I don't want to get pulled over.

TSi do you mean ieper (Ypres in French)?
I reacon kevlar jeans will be fine, I haven't found a full discription of "protective clothing", I can't even find the rules on the official Belgian government sites, but all the motorbike sites and forums are full of it. Maybe because it is only an ammendment as the whole rule book is being rewriten at the moment and that they are waiting to publicize all the new rules at the same time?
Maybe one of our Belgian neighbours knows :thumbup:

Last edited:

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
TSi do you mean ieper (Ypres in French)?
I reacon kevlar jeans will be fine, I haven't found a full discription of "protective clothing", I can't even find the rules on the official Belgian government sites, but all the motorbike sites and forums are full of it. Maybe because it is only an ammendment as the whole rule book is being rewriten at the moment and that they are waiting to publicize all the new rules at the same time?
Maybe one of our Belgian neighbours knows :thumbup:
Yes, thats the place. Leper, ieper, Ypres. First time riding in continental Europe.
Staying in the centre of town. Four of us coming at the moment, 2 Tigers, my Fazer S2 and an air cooled Fazer 600. Really Excited!:thumbup:
The place we are staying is owned by a Police Inspector so we have to be on our best behaviour!

Last edited:

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site

Well, about the protective gear: you should at least wear a long pants and a wear a jacket. So you still can wear just a jeans. But till now there is not a problem, because we still don't have a new government, those new rules don't apply yet. :)

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I think the first rule of the filtering is common sence. when traffic is riding 50km/h and you filter at 80km/h it's just asking for trouble. There are always cagers who change lanes without properly looking in their side mirror, or the side mirror is dirty.

There is also another rule that the secretary for mobility wants to add.
It's that everyone on a bike should wear a fluorescent vest (orange or yellow)

Can you believe this guy? One thing is for sure, there is not a chance in my life that i'm going to dress like a clown!(no offence to everyone here who is actually wearing such a vest) If my H.I.D. xenon isn't noticed, than so isn't that vest. I think it should be decided by the biker if he wears it or not.

Maybe the next rule is a spaceship-helmet with all kinds of lights and stroboscopes:spank:

Alot of these rules are common sense. Like the protective gear. In the summer I ride in normal jeans, but I adapt my riding style to the clothes I am wearing. I only go harder in the twisties in full gear. (gloves, helmet, leather vest and pants, boots)
NEVER ever in tshirt or short pants. That's just dangerous and looks rediculous

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a definition of protective clothing in Belgian law? How do you know if you a wearing a "protective" jacket? i.e. a Euro standard?

This was mooted for the UK but the only standard available is for PPE, which requires specific testing and homologation. Puts the price up astronomically and there are only about 3 manufacturers that meet the standard.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a definition of protective clothing in Belgian law? How do you know if you a wearing a "protective" jacket? i.e. a Euro standard?

This was mooted for the UK but the only standard available is for PPE, which requires specific testing and homologation. Puts the price up astronomically and there are only about 3 manufacturers that meet the standard.

Not really, it just says that it should cover your entiry body. But this is still just a proposition of a law, so when it becomes a law, it should state this more specific.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Apart from this guy, where do most people put their feet whilst riding?

It would be possible for the pillion to ride side saddle.

Brit law states that the pillion must have both feet on the footpegs........... but does not state that they must face forwards. It is legal for a pillion to face backwards!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, about the protective gear: you should at least wear a long pants and a wear a jacket. So you still can wear just a jeans. But till now there is not a problem, because we still don't have a new government, those new rules don't apply yet. :)

Thanks Philippe I saw the report on more than one motor site for example here and promotor but I didn't realise it had been delayed.

I think the first rule of the filtering is common sence. when traffic is riding 50km/h and you filter at 80km/h it's just asking for trouble. There are always cagers who change lanes without properly looking in their side mirror, or the side mirror is dirty.

There is also another rule that the secretary for mobility wants to add.
It's that everyone on a bike should wear a fluorescent vest (orange or yellow)

Can you believe this guy? One thing is for sure, there is not a chance in my life that i'm going to dress like a clown!(no offence to everyone here who is actually wearing such a vest) If my H.I.D. xenon isn't noticed, than so isn't that vest. I think it should be decided by the biker if he wears it or not.

Maybe the next rule is a spaceship-helmet with all kinds of lights and stroboscopes:spank:

Alot of these rules are common sense. Like the protective gear. In the summer I ride in normal jeans, but I adapt my riding style to the clothes I am wearing. I only go harder in the twisties in full gear. (gloves, helmet, leather vest and pants, boots)
NEVER ever in tshirt or short pants. That's just dangerous and looks rediculous

Well I'm one of those clowns Bram (in the winter months anyway) ;)
I must admit I find the protective gear law good. but a compulsary yellow vest (in the summer) is maybe a step too far.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Thanks Philippe I saw the report on more than one motor site for example here and promotor but I didn't realise it had been delayed.

Well I'm one of those clowns Bram (in the winter months anyway ;)
I must admit I find the protective gear law good. but a compulsary yellow vest (in the summer) is maybe a step too far.

Yes in summer months, that what I was talking about but didn't explicitely say, because I don't ride when it's wet, dark or below 5°C (My main transportation is a car, so I'm a recreational rider only). Don't hate me now :D

Im that kind of guy who starts crying inside when the bike is dirty, or my helmet is covered under 1000 flies.
I like the combine look of my black/white gear, with the silver/black fz6. So putting on a yellow or orange vest is just messing up the whole picture.

You are right about winter months, then you can't be safe enough.
- streetlight reflection on wet roads
- dirty windshield
- rain on the windshield
All the above is dangerous for a biker to be noticed

That's why I hope this is not going to be a law but every man has to decice for himself if he want to ride with a vest or not, accordingly to the season and condition of the weather. :)

I think the secretary of transportation was woke up on a sunday morning by a bikerclub, and wants his revenge :D
What's next?? Making a law on when to shift gears? :rolleyes:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Etienne Schouppe, the guy behind those rules is a MORON!

Can't stand the guy.

95% of our politicians are retards ...

I love my country, but hate the Belgian politicians :spank:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Etienne Schouppe, the guy behind those rules is a MORON!

Can't stand the guy.

95% of our politicians are retards ...

I love my country, but hate the Belgian politicians :spank:

:Im With Stupid:

It's thanks to this lovely guy that we have those new, ugly EU-like licenseplates as well!! :spank:
(The good thing is; we only have to get the "small versions" of those plates on our bikes.... he wanted to go with A4-size plates!!! :eek::spank:)

Grtz,

Degake