New back tire...

NewKidOnTheBlock

Reaction score
Visit site
My back tire is down to its wear marks so I've been looking around for a new one, not to sure what to get. I live in Florida and am looking for a good street tire.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My back tire is down to its wear marks so I've been looking around for a new one, not to sure what to get. I live in Florida and am looking for a good street tire.

What do you have on the front now? Safe and smart thing to do would be to have a matching set. If this is your 1st set (original equipment tires) and the miles are up there, I would highly suggest swapping both out for a quality pair.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I've got these Shinko Tires and could not be more happy. I bought the bike with 6600 miles on it in May and now I have over 12,400 miles. The front tire is was on it when I bought it and still has 1/2 tread left (I had to replace the rear due to a nail about 3000 miles ago). When these tires wear out, I will be replacing them with the same kind. The tires have not slipped yet on twisty roads or in the rain. I am not a real aggressive rider, so your results may vary.

From what I've read, most people seem happy to get 6000 miles out of a set of tires, I should get an easy 10,000 out of these.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding the Conti Motion here in Florida. Very satisfied and I will get another set when times comes. They're dirt cheap too.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on what eric and gtp said! Its way better to have a matching set. And shinkos are imo the best bang for your buck tire out there. Yes there are better tires but i have a set of the shinko 009 ravens and couldnt be happier and i will probably get about 7500 miles out of my rear. Gtp can back me up on this too, if your worried about grip have no fear i ran down a r6, and a cbr600rr and left em way behind :D up in the north ga mountians over the weekend...so in other words they do just fine. Also fyi shinko is yokohama's moto tire division so its not like they are some "no name" brand just less popular

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Also fyi shinko is yokohama's moto tire division so its not like they are some "no name" brand just less popular

From what I've heard/read, they just bought up molds/design rights to Yokohama's motorcycle tires, they're not actually related.

I had a set of their cruiser tires on my last bike and liked them well enough, but that's less demanding, and the price gap was wider. I haven't been brave enough to throw a set on the FZ yet. At $70 in labor to get a set mounted, I'm not sure I want to risk it.

I've had a Pilot Road 2 rear and Pilot Power front on mine. The rear tire has 4k on it, and the front has somewhere between 4k and 13k on it, it was on the bike when I bought it. The rear is starting to wear, the front has good tread but a wicked square-off from the PO apparently only riding a straight line. I like em pretty well.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got these Shinko Tires and could not be more happy. I bought the bike with 6600 miles on it in May and now I have over 12,400 miles. The front tire is was on it when I bought it and still has 1/2 tread left (I had to replace the rear due to a nail about 3000 miles ago). When these tires wear out, I will be replacing them with the same kind. The tires have not slipped yet on twisty roads or in the rain. I am not a real aggressive rider, so your results may vary.

From what I've read, most people seem happy to get 6000 miles out of a set of tires, I should get an easy 10,000 out of these.

Looks like a good tire. Ive got 6700 on my oem sportmax's with enough left to finish the season out....I hope. But, I think I'll give these a try. Thanks for the link.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've heard/read, they just bought up molds/design rights to Yokohama's motorcycle tires, they're not actually related.
Your right i read somewhere that was the case but on their website it says that they used to make bicycle tires until purchasing all the rights, patents, and research from yokohama, but either way im still extremely pleased with the performance and longevity of mine, especially with the way i ride, burnouts included! Lol

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
whatever good tire you can find for a good price is what I would get.

My current set is Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and they were on sale for $200 for the pair of tires, could not pass it up. So far 2,000 miles on them and almost no visible wear yet! I've kept them at 40 psi rear and 36 psi front which they seem to love.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
My vote is the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT or 3CT. Great wear and lots of traction. Always amazed by the wet traction - have tried (not real hard) to spin the rear by rolling on it in first and have not been able to. On my second set but may go the the 3CT when I replace the rear.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Whatever tire you decide to go with, be sure to check around. My rear tire (the brand I suggested) was $180.95 on the Shinko web site, but I paid $140 for it the Lawrenceville Honda/Yamaha dealer (where I bought my bike).

NewKidOnTheBlock

Reaction score
Visit site
My vote is the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT or 3CT. Great wear and lots of traction. Always amazed by the wet traction - have tried (not real hard) to spin the rear by rolling on it in first and have not been able to. On my second set but may go the the 3CT when I replace the rear.

What's the difference between 2CT and 3CT?