Need your help! Bike randomly stops and goes while riding, never happened before!

trougnouf

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
Can anyone help me? I had this problem on my way to work today (for the first time) and I have no clue what could be the cause.

After a few minutes riding it, it seemed the engine shut down like if I completely released the throttle, then came back on its own (and jumped since the throttle was opened for a 50mph speed and it was down to ~30)

It happened more and more, to the point where I would be stopped completely (at this point it doesn't come back on its own) and it would not even start up when I pressed the ignition so that I blocked traffic until I could start it again.

Turning the key off/on didn't fix the problem. Everything seemed fine the dashboard thingy stayed on without any warning light or error message, the headlights stayed on too, but the engine was stopped.

I even had it on the highway. By the end of the ride it would shut down every 20seconds or so, almost like if I ran out of gas. I filled it up completely with premium around 3/4th of the way but it didn't help at all. I almost crashed when it stopped while I was taking a turn.

Before going back home I made sure all the connections were well plugged in especially under the gas tank, they all looked good and all the fluids (with an oil change/yellow filter about 2000miles ago) were full (except the leaking fork but that's another story).
I got my friend to follow me home on her 50cc scooter in case something happened but my bike seemed to run fine that time.

I don't understand what happened and if it will happen again.
It might just not have happened on the way back because it was night (instead of sunny hot florida) and my friend's scooter was really slow. I tried to rev it anyway and still nothing bad.
The only recent change I made were new puig windscreen/mirrors so that can't be related, especially since it worked just fine with them yesterday.

I hope someone can help me, I currently can't afford to have the dealer take it apart and the FZ6 is my only mean of transportation =/
Thank you!

Last edited:
It almost sounds like you're having a problem with your "Kill Switch" The red rocker switch on your right. Flick it on and off a couple of times and check that the connectors to it haven't come loose. Could be the switch has gone bad or you might even have a broken wire in the harness where the wire bends when you're steering.

Edit: Sorry I may have misunderstood...Does the engine shut off completely or just throttles down?

Last edited:
I think it shuts down completely. When it does it until the bike comes to a complete stop (or if I stop myself, had that at a redlight where I blocked traffic), the engine is OFF.

It actually has the same reaction as when I run out of gas (it happened once a few months ago :spank: ), except that it is completely random and sometimes it will come back on on its own (in which case the bike will "jump" because I have the throttle instantly opened when the engine wakes up.

I didn't get to check the engine speed on the odometer as I was too panicked everytime but I made sure to glance at the warning lights and none of them came on.
I will try playing with the kill switch

I think it shuts down completely. When it does it until the bike comes to a complete stop (or if I stop myself, had that at a redlight where I blocked traffic), the engine is OFF.

It actually has the same reaction as when I run out of gas (it happened once a few months ago :spank: ), except that it is completely random and sometimes it will come back on on its own (in which case the bike will "jump" because I have the throttle instantly opened when the engine wakes up.

I didn't get to check the engine speed on the odometer as I was too panicked everytime but I made sure to glance at the warning lights and none of them came on.
I will try playing with the kill switch

It could be the "kill switch" or that circuit....

My 2005 was doing that exact same thing until I got the recall fixed on the throttle position sensor.

:jawdrop: how did you think of it?
I hope that was the only problem,
I turned the bike on in the garage (center stand, neutral, garage opened so I don't suffocate to death, I almost made that mistake before)
and played with the two plastic tabs that must come from the kill switch, the engine instantly shut down. Played with them a bit more and I could reproduce the shut down two times right after the first one, then I could never get it to shut down like that again, I tried twisting everything about the connectors and cable in every way. the plastic tabs looked like they went more 'in' before and now they are stuck outside, I must have pulled them out ...

I hope this silly thing fixes everything. It's pretty scary to think that my precisely engineered bike can shut down on the middle of the highway because of something like that!

Edit: If it happens again, is there any cons in simply cutting off the kill switch wires? I have never used that thing in my life (I and other people think it looks cool but it would stay there looking cool) and it doesn't seem worth all these risks and annoyances.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help, it surely was the kill switch, I went to work and came back (20miles) without problem. If it comes back I know that I can simply eliminate the kill switch. You are my saviours!

Thank you all for your help, it surely was the kill switch, I went to work and came back (20miles) without problem. If it comes back I know that I can simply eliminate the kill switch. You are my saviours!

This is such a great forum and there are so many people with great experience that we can share.
Awesome group of people here from all walks of life. :rockon:
You did a great job of describing the problem and that was very instrumental in getting help.
Good Job! Thanks everyone that helped!:rockon:

i had the same problem on my 06 fz6 took it to the dealers who blamed it on the contacts in the kill switch charged me an hours labour and said it was fixed happened again the next day. decided to check it out myself and found that the switch was loose. i put a small plastic packer between the switch and the housing to keep the switch pushed over to the right by a couple of mm this has never been a problem since. the other option is to by a new switch. the packer i used was the type you use to pack a door frame. give it a go.

I see from your profile pic you have gone naked,if this was recent you didn't put something together wrong perhaps ?

I did that about eight months ago (put my old 1992 Suzuki GS500e headlight because I didn't have anything else after crashing), it surely isn't the case since it worked all along and I didn't touch the wires, they have been hanging in an ugly way all along.

I need to take a picture of what it looks like now, the old round headlight didn't work out too well, not enough light and the wind is so uncomfortable at highway speed! It shattered my dream of having a true naked bike (see http://www.bimotaamerica.com/bikes_t3da.html http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinort...d=NUOYTSXGVS1QECRNCB2SFFAKFUIHUIV4?model=3242 or the first Aprilia Shiver 750. Nevermind the tesi 3d it does have a windshield I just can't mention my favorite bikes without mentioning it), never again.

I sort of glued the original headlight (headlight and bracket only) back (with dual HID) and got a puig light tint windshield, it looks and feels so much better! I am waiting on the OEM mirrors and after I clean up the wires it will look sexy again (not OMG I came sexy, I still need to get an undented faster 2004 silver gas tank and perhaps an aftermarket exhaust but I am currently in debt so that will wait a few more years)

Last edited:
Back