Need to Borrow a TRAILER!

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Is there anyone in the Maryland, DC, Virginia area that has a single bike trailer that I can borrow. I'd really appreciate it! The trip I'd take it on is from Maryland to Atlanta and back.

Thanks for any consideration!!!

Marc

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
We rented a trailer from UHaul that was motorcycle specific. It has a "built in chaulk". Loaded up my Ninja and drove it nearly 100 km fully strapped down over bumpy highways. My heart was in my throat looking back at it, but she was in there good and sturdy. The rent here for $14 Canadian, $30 with the insurance (for a 6 hour time slot).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We rented a trailer from UHaul that was motorcycle specific. It has a "built in chaulk". Loaded up my Ninja and drove it nearly 100 km fully strapped down over bumpy highways. My heart was in my throat looking back at it, but she was in there good and sturdy. The rent here for $14 Canadian, $30 with the insurance (for a 6 hour time slot).

I've done that several times in NJ. $10/day.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks ya'll. I'll look into the UHAUL option. I wonder can I do a oneway trip..pick it up in ATL and just drop it in MD when I get back?

Not likely. Unlike their trucks, motorcycle trailers belong to specific locations, but it won't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks ya'll. I'll look into the UHAUL option. I wonder can I do a oneway trip..pick it up in ATL and just drop it in MD when I get back?

I have done this a few times with enclosed moving trailers from U-Haul. I would suspect that the motorcycle trailer would be the same.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site

Generally a no go. If they do even allow it, the rental cost goes through the roof. I was looking at one for a family trip to Texas and 7 day rental was about $120. Leaving it in TX was going to cost in excess of $600.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a U-Haul trailer to pick up my FZ6, but it was round trip. Did not take the insurance, which ended up costing me.

The U-Haul guy, hooked up the trailer and plugged in the lights. He went behind the trailer and had me test the brakes and turn signals. Gave me a thumbs up and I drove away. Got my bike, came home and dropped it off. Took the trailer back to U-Haul and one of the turn signals was bent. Still functional, but bent. I was extremely careful and did not come remotely close to backing into anything. I tow a boat regularly in the warm months so I am no stranger to trailers.

Moral of the story is to walk around the trailer and personally inspect every inch of the thing. I suspect it was already bent and they just ended making an easy $100 bucks off me. :disapprove:

Good luck and let us know what you get. Pictures too!

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
All good advice. I found a UHaul location that will let me do a one way trip, but it's a bit more than I want to pay...about 185 bucks after taxes, etc. I think I'm just going to use my hitch carrier like I did before...or keep looking for a small affordable trailer. I need to invest in one anyway. I've never used the hitch carrier for such a long trip, but I think its secure and safe if used properly. Still deciding.

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
I love how some of us said dropping it off elsewhere is "no problem" and others said "not a chance"! LOL Thanks for clearing the air. Happy trailering!

Lowe

Reaction score
Visit site
I rented a minivan for $25 a day ....boy was I lucky it fit!!

1ys8rb.jpg

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Yes they rent enclosed trailers also. Drop off requirements are different from store to store and prices vary also. I think I'm just going to use my hitch carrier...it worked fine the last time I used it and is solid as a rock...just makes me nervous everytime I see the bike back there in the rearview mirror:

picture.php

FAZR6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can borrow my trailer if you want. You can pick it up at my work on your way through Richmond and then bring it back to my work at your earliest convenience. You will see it friday when I stop by to pay you a visit. :thumbup:

Last edited: