Need some help with ignition wiring..

Makoz

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, reorganizing this to make it more to the point...

I'm trying to replace the ignition switch on an 06 fz6 with an ignition from an 07. I checked compatibility on several parts websites, and they claimed them to be compatible. However, the used ignition I bought had been cut and so I need to solder the wires from the 07 ignition to the wires that are sticking out of my bike where my old ignition used to be. The wires are not the same however, and I'm hoping someone could tell me what I need to do here.

Old ignition wires: brown, red, orange, blue/yellow tracer, blue/black tracer
New ignition wires: red, orange, brown/red tracer, brown/blue tracer

Since parts stores are selling the 07+ ignition for 04-06 models, I assume there's a way to get it working. I'd like to avoid as much random guessing as I can :rolleyes: I was going to try comparing the wiring charts of the two, but I can't make sense of the 06 one, as it shows only 4 wires and the colors are not right either.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you switched up model years....

07 up switch harness colors
RED = Hot from Battery, though 30A fuse. Also goes to Fuel injection Fuse
Light Brown/Lt Blue trace = Signal, Headlight, Ignition, & Tail fuses
Blue/ Balck trace = Powers starter LOCK OUT RELAY and other bits
RED/Black trace = Power to ECM.

Makoz

Reaction score
Visit site

The new ignition is an 07, but when I looked up the parts for an 06, it had the original ignition discontinued and the same model listed for 07 was listed in its place, so I figured it would be alright.

But I'm still not quite certain what goes to what.. I imagine red to red and orange to orange, but I have a brown/blue tracer and a brown/ red tracer on the new ignition, and only a plain brown on the old wires. I also have 2 smaller blue wires on the old wiring... so I've got 5 wires and only 4 coming from the new ignition :confused:

The service manual wiring diagram is no help either, as it only shows 4 wires and labels them differently than what I have. It has them as R, Br/L, L/B, and W/L...

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Ignition damaged during theft (ambiguously worded - could have been OP who damaged it). OP confused about model year. hmmmmm :rolleyes:

I'm just messing man - I'm sure it's your bike (now) :thumbup:

Makoz

Reaction score
Visit site
Ignition damaged during theft (ambiguously worded - could have been OP who damaged it). OP confused about model year. hmmmmm :rolleyes:

I'm just messing man - I'm sure it's your bike (now) :thumbup:

I like to think so too :thumbup:

Oh and to clarify.. the bike is an 06, I bought a switch from an 07 lol

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry this is the first time I'm seeing this.

First, as already mentioned disconnect the main fuse on top of the battery or disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Second, sparking of any of those wires carries the risk of taking out the start interrupt safety module. I had a friend and member here on the forum that did this.

According to the schematic the color codes for s1 version 04-06 FZ6 are:
Red
Brown with blue tracer
Blue with black tracer
White with blue tracer

S2 07-09 FZ6 are:
Red
Brown with blue tracer
Blue with black tracer
Black with red tracer

The last wire listed on either S1 or S2 should be the only difference in color code.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Use this info and a test light or an ohm meter to determine where your existing wires go. I believe you said you have an early manual so that should be correct unless the switch already came from something else?? If this is suspect, i'd opt for lifting the tank and pulling the air box. You can unplug the OEM ignition and lay it out.

For the most part, the wire gauge should be a pretty good clue as to what connects to what. Perhaps some high resolution pictures of both and WHERE they come out of the switch. Follow by position ???

Makoz

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry this is the first time I'm seeing this.

First, as already mentioned disconnect the main fuse on top of the battery or disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Second, sparking of any of those wires carries the risk of taking out the start interrupt safety module. I had a friend and member here on the forum that did this.

According to the schematic the color codes for s1 version 04-06 FZ6 are:
Red
Brown with blue tracer
Blue with black tracer
White with blue tracer

S2 07-09 FZ6 are:
Red
Brown with blue tracer
Blue with black tracer
Black with red tracer

The last wire listed on either S1 or S2 should be the only difference in color code.

Haha, umm... okay well... my wires are different on both the old and the new :confused:
The wires from my old ignition are brown, red, orange, small blue/yellow tracer, and small blue/black tracer
The wires on the new ignition are red, orange, brown/red tracer, brown/blue tracer, all the same size...

So I don't even have the same number of wires, and only 2 colors actually match

Makoz

Reaction score
Visit site
Use this info and a test light or an ohm meter to determine where your existing wires go. I believe you said you have an early manual so that should be correct unless the switch already came from something else?? If this is suspect, i'd opt for lifting the tank and pulling the air box. You can unplug the OEM ignition and lay it out.

For the most part, the wire gauge should be a pretty good clue as to what connects to what. Perhaps some high resolution pictures of both and WHERE they come out of the switch. Follow by position ???

I'm not sure what you mean by laying out the ignition? I'll get some pictures of the the wires in a few minutes here.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does your old ignition switch have security screws? Is it in fact the OEM ignition switch?

I think this is one reason Final is asking for you to lay it out. If anything you may be able to figure out the switching and match the switching via gauge of wire and contact position. :)

Makoz

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, here are the pics.. right now the wires for the old ignition are still in place attached to the bike. First pic is new, second is old.

Makoz

Reaction score
Visit site
Does your old ignition switch have security screws? Is it in fact the OEM ignition switch?

I think this is one reason Final is asking for you to lay it out. If anything you may be able to figure out the switching and match the switching via gauge of wire and contact position. :)

Oh yes it definitely had security screws.. getting them out was a fun start to this adventure lol.

Hmm I'll follow the old ignition and see what I can learn.
So I was looking at that wiring diagram, and aside from those 4 wires it shows, it shows the L/B and L/Y in a little box in the main switch. It doesn't show wires coming out though. Those are the colors of the 2 smaller ones. What does it mean when they are in that little box but don't show any wires coming out?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yes it definitely had security screws.. getting them out was a fun start to this adventure lol.

If you flip the triple over and tighten it to the stanchion tube it make a nice stable platform. Then just drill them out.

Fork Stanchion Holding Triple for drilling process:
47014d1362948636-q-remove-top-triple-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch-pimg_20130309_151550_916-jpg

DRILL IT! NOTE: there are vent holes in the bottom of the switch. I covered them with tape before drilling the second bolt out. Those chips don't belong in the switch!
47015d1362948971-q-remove-top-triple-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch-pimg_20130309_152417_495-jpg

DONE! Notice Magnet in the paper bag collecting chips!
47016d1362948971-q-remove-top-triple-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch-pimg_20130309_152755_697-jpg

Makoz

Reaction score
Visit site
I've actually already got the old ignition off. I followed that basic concept, though a lot sloppier. Would it help for me to drill out the smaller security screws on the ignition itself and see what's going on in there?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, here are the pics.. right now the wires for the old ignition are still in place attached to the bike. First pic is new, second is old.

I can tell you that I've seen that orange wire but is is not listed on the schematic. It is also not listed on the wire color chart for the S1. I do know what wires make the bike go and how they should be wired.

For obvious reasons I don't like to publicly list this information. You can PM me :)

The first picture does not look like the FZ6 ignition. Not saying it won't work but it looks like it's off something else just going by the gauge of the wires.
PM....